Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
23-08-2012, 09:22
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 2nd CPU to the right & past the cache
Posts: 1,949
|
Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
RG6 area of Reading
Last week we get an snail mail letter saying there would be maintenance in the area on the day of Wed 22 August, and would probably be some service disruption because of it, but all was scheduled to be operational again by 5pm.
So I think fine, no problem, it should all be done by time I get home from work.
Before I head home I check service status using the link in the footer from here.
Broadband okay, TV some fault, estimated fix 6pm. (both had been showing faulty earlier in the day)
I get home, TV working fine, Broadband, not so good, Modem showing SYN solid, but RDY is flashing, no connection whatsoever.
I ring 151 and get told there is no outage, must be my equipment, the earliest they can send an engineer out is in 2 weeks time !!!!!!!!! Customer service STINKS.
I've done the remove my router from setup and reboot everything, but no joy.
Modem eventually enters hunt sequence, then settles down into SYNC solid, READY flashing. Telephone support personnel were shall we say, as much use a wet lettuce.
Its one of those silver badged Ambit's had it since day one, no troubles whatsoever before. It goes down they day do they maintenance in the area ??? Coinkydink, I think not.
Any ideas who I can talk to, to get an engineer visit sooner. I'd prefer not to end up with a superhub.
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 09:41
|
#2
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
It must be a busy area for you to be waiting that long for a visit.
Am sure the ready light is meant to be flashing and the sync light steady.
Honestly the Superhubs aren't as bad as some people make out. You can also stick it in modem mode and still use your own router.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
23-08-2012, 09:52
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaWraith
RG6 area of Reading
Last week we get an snail mail letter saying there would be maintenance in the area on the day of Wed 22 August, and would probably be some service disruption because of it, but all was scheduled to be operational again by 5pm.
So I think fine, no problem, it should all be done by time I get home from work.
Before I head home I check service status using the link in the footer from here.
Broadband okay, TV some fault, estimated fix 6pm. (both had been showing faulty earlier in the day)
I get home, TV working fine, Broadband, not so good, Modem showing SYN solid, but RDY is flashing, no connection whatsoever.
I ring 151 and get told there is no outage, must be my equipment, the earliest they can send an engineer out is in 2 weeks time !!!!!!!!! Customer service STINKS.
I've done the remove my router from setup and reboot everything, but no joy.
Modem eventually enters hunt sequence, then settles down into SYNC solid, READY flashing. Telephone support personnel were shall we say, as much use a wet lettuce.
Its one of those silver badged Ambit's had it since day one, no troubles whatsoever before. It goes down they day do they maintenance in the area ??? Coinkydink, I think not.
Any ideas who I can talk to, to get an engineer visit sooner. I'd prefer not to end up with a superhub.
|
I agree that VM's BB support stinks and is as much use as a wet lettuce. So bypass it by taking the "thinking of leaving us" option and complain bitterly about the utterly useless outsourced support. Hopefully the agent will transfer you to a second line UK agent who may be more helpful.
Good luck.
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 04:22
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnersh UK
Services: , BBand 120M tier Superhub, O2 Mobile phone
Posts: 2,147
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
I am in RG41 and my maintenance is scheduled for Sept 10th so I do hope it goes smooth or is that wish full thinking, but I will not be holding my breathe!
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 08:40
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 2nd CPU to the right & past the cache
Posts: 1,949
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Update.
I called 151 support again last night to confirm the engineer visit was still on for saturday. Whoever it was did whatever to test my modem and said "yes i need a visit and that it was booked" and then we said goodbye. Before I could even hang up connection sprang back into life !!!!!! Whistles do do do do.
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 10:51
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaWraith
Update.
I called 151 support again last night to confirm the engineer visit was still on for saturday. Whoever it was did whatever to test my modem and said "yes i need a visit and that it was booked" and then we said goodbye. Before I could even hang up connection sprang back into life !!!!!! Whistles do do do do.
|
Oh well, just hope it stays "alive".
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 11:12
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 2nd CPU to the right & past the cache
Posts: 1,949
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher
Oh well, just hope it stays "alive".
|
Yeah me too.
Oh, btw I only got offered the saturday visit when i called cancellations, did that after starting this thread. I'm not going to tell them its working now though.
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 17:51
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Petersfield, Hampshire, UK
Age: 35
Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
Posts: 314
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
its simple really, the old Ambit modems i.e. little square boxes with green lights, are being disconnected in the Reading network (Thames Valley) to force people to upgrade to the Super Hub... So don't be suprised if it goes down again... forever
(Source... i work in the Thames Valley...Reading... Network)
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 19:53
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winnersh UK
Services: , BBand 120M tier Superhub, O2 Mobile phone
Posts: 2,147
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS
its simple really, the old Ambit modems i.e. little square boxes with green lights, are being disconnected in the Reading network (Thames Valley) to force people to upgrade to the Super Hub... So don't be suprised if it goes down again... forever
(Source... i work in the Thames Valley...Reading... Network)
|
I have the 256 modem on the 10 meg teir and I am in RG41, will that modem still work or will I need a Super Hub?
|
|
|
24-08-2012, 20:12
|
#10
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS
its simple really, the old Ambit modems i.e. little square boxes with green lights, are being disconnected in the Reading network (Thames Valley) to force people to upgrade to the Super Hub... So don't be suprised if it goes down again... forever
(Source... i work in the Thames Valley...Reading... Network)
|
Sorry but I don't believe that for a moment.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
25-08-2012, 08:23
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 2nd CPU to the right & past the cache
Posts: 1,949
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Update.
Service Technician telephoned bright and early (8am) this morning to ask if it was still okay to call round. We spoke and I explained that it was now working again, but he said he'd come anyway, check signal levels and such, and swap out the modem for a new one, but put back the original if i wasn't satisfied.
Top notch professional, clean presentable, well spoken, understood the situation. I let him try a superhub, it was the blade affair not the tower block. He even put it into modem mode for me and my netgear router is humming away nicely.
Obviously it is too early to tell if i'll be affected by the horror stories yet, but right now i'm chuffed with the level of service from him, pity the telephone support staff dont give the same levels.
Oh and I loved my old Ambit modem, it was powered on for almost 15 years. The last service visit was a decade or so ago when my neighbour was connected and i came home to find i was disconnected. A few telephone calls to friends found what was then an NTL tech doing an install and we pressed ganged him into looking into the fault. Turns out i'd been disconnected at the green box by whoever connected my neighbours !!
Anyway I have nothing but respect for those that do come into our homes and fix things. It's the cowboys and cant help, wont help, script reading desk jockeys I can't stand.
|
|
|
25-08-2012, 08:58
|
#12
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS
its simple really, the old Ambit modems i.e. little square boxes with green lights, are being disconnected in the Reading network (Thames Valley) to force people to upgrade to the Super Hub... So don't be suprised if it goes down again... forever
(Source... i work in the Thames Valley...Reading... Network)
|
Complete bull excreta
(Source... I work in access network planning for virgin media)
---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaWraith
Turns out i'd been disconnected at the green box by whoever connected my neighbours !!
|
Wonder who that was then
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
25-08-2012, 13:54
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 954
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Quote:
|
Turns out i'd been disconnected at the green box by whoever connected my neighbours !!
|
This has happened to me, twice, in the past, and once they moved me "off the top tap", despite a big label tied to the cable saying not to move it off the top tap (apparently I live furthest away from the cab so need the strongest signal or something). Was years ago now tho, not a complaint, just a comment.
|
|
|
25-08-2012, 17:27
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Petersfield, Hampshire, UK
Age: 35
Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
Posts: 314
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
i'm only going by what i've heard the service techs saying in the yard... i am only a installer after all
|
|
|
25-08-2012, 19:06
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,798
|
Re: Virgin Maintenance killed my connection?
Welcome to the world of poor VM engineers, we still have problems with the TiVo box breaking up.
I cannot be bothered anymore complaining. We have been told already what VM should do, but they won't listen - roll on Sky.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:31.
|