Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shall I switch to superhub or not?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Shall I switch to superhub or not?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2012, 20:56   #1
big_dirk
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 46
big_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enoughbig_dirk will become famous soon enough
Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Hi all,

I really can't decide whether to go from 20 - 60Mb including changing to the superhub or not, I hear so many bad stories about how people on DOCSIS 3 are worse off, I am torn.

I would benefit from a 3x increase in max theoretical bandwidth, and also I believe ports can be opened on the superhub, unlike my Netgear WNR2000v2, and I would find this useful. I am very happy with my 20Mb but think if I can achieve more for free, I want to.

If DOCSIS3 performance makes a difference based on area, I am area 20 - ST4/Stoke on Trent

Hope someone can help me in my dilemma, thank you in advance.
big_dirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2012, 21:24   #2
oliver1948uk
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mansfield Woodhouse NG19
Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
Posts: 541
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

I changed from 20 to 60 with a new superhub a month or two back and have had no problems whatsoever. The wireless range I find roughly equivalent to my previous Linksys router, though this speedtest was done with a cable connection:

oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 01:49   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dirk View Post
I really can't decide whether to go from 20 - 60Mb including changing to the superhub or not, I hear so many bad stories about how people on DOCSIS 3 are worse off, I am torn.

I would benefit from a 3x increase in max theoretical bandwidth, and also I believe ports can be opened on the superhub, unlike my Netgear WNR2000v2, and I would find this useful. I am very happy with my 20Mb but think if I can achieve more for free, I want to.

If DOCSIS3 performance makes a difference based on area, I am area 20 - ST4/Stoke on Trent
Back in the old days, going from DOCSIS 1.x to DOCSIS 3 usually meant you were better off, nowadays I wouldn't know as it's been so long since I've been on the old network and all new customers are put on D3 anyway.

Performance does vary by area, but the only people who can tell you what you're actually likely to get probably won't.

As for the relative merits of the Superhub, I'll leave that to someone who's actually used one on VM...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 05:11   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster
 
jb66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Your gonna have to change one day, it's unusual to have an issue so I'd say to for it,
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 05:59   #5
kwikbreaks
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dirk View Post
also I believe ports can be opened on the superhub, unlike my Netgear WNR2000v2, and I would find this useful.
That was the freebie router I had from VM and I don't recall any problems with port forwarding. What can't you do? The Superhub in general is more restrictive than most routers I've seen.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 07:24   #6
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stafford
Posts: 4,225
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

if you dont want performance to dip then wait for the mainstream R36 update to be released then you should be able to move over with no fuss
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 10:08   #7
mark1234
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nottingham
Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
Posts: 284
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

I moved 20 to 60 and gained a Superhub a few months back. Not had any issues with it. The wireless range is poor compared to my previous router, but it's a lot more reliable so I accept the trade off.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 10:16   #8
roughbeast
cf.mega poster
 
roughbeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: Fusion Fibre 900
Posts: 1,795
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

He could go with the SH now if he runs it in modem-only mode and using his WNR2000v2 for a router. This will support 60Mb.

If he wants to switch back to full mode after the firmware upgrade then that's fine. He will still benefit from 20Mbx3 in the meantime.
__________________
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Coventry
Services: FusionFibre/CityFibre (900Mb FTTP; Asus GT-AX11000 +3 iMesh nodes; Humax 2Tb TV box; Synology DS920+ used as Plex server (PlexWindblown)
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 13:31   #9
RB2004
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
Posts: 689
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

initial feedback is that the superhub on R36 is not outperforming the VMNG300 in some ways.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 18:11   #10
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

i would never expect it to outperform it
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 18:54   #11
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stafford
Posts: 4,225
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

id say it outperforms it in modem mode
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 18:58   #12
morley04
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Leicester LE3
Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
Posts: 191
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
id say it outperforms it in modem mode
Why is that then Craig?
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 19:20   #13
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
id say it outperforms it in modem mode
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 21:01   #14
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stafford
Posts: 4,225
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

lower constant jitter coupled with the ability to bond more channels
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2012, 21:52   #15
RB2004
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
Posts: 689
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Shall I switch to superhub or not?

why has my post been modified?

I dont remember writing that it is not outperforming the VMNG300?

I wrote "R36 is outperforming the VMNG300 in some ways."

which is true!

lots of people have said R36 has reduced jitter to levels lower than the VMNG300
Superhub alsohas wireless.. good or not its something that the VNMG300 doesnt have.. it also bonds 8 channels which the VMNG300 doesnt.

So even in normal mode it has become what is looking like a better device.. and in modem mode certainly now there is possibility it is outperforming the VMNG300 now that VM are starting to iron out the problems.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:49.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum