Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phobias

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Phobias
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-06-2004, 18:37   #31
homealone
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I have flown - twice - and managed not to get hysterical although it was a near thing. It's not the flying that bothers me particularly (ok well it does then!) but actually SEEING a plane flying past and having to get close to one - I'm sitting here now on the verge of panic just thinking about it!
When I went to Cyprus a few years back we had to walk across the tarmac to the plane - I had to be carried inside!
oops - sorry, I didn't realise you had flown already, I didn't mean to sound so patronising

I suppose I got 'weaned' early - my first plane flight was apparently made slung from the roof in a carry cot, aged 18 months. I don't remember that, but since then, especially with my dad being in the RAF, I have been as much a fan of planes as you are of TVR or Aston Martin.

I suppose thats the thing about a real phobia, other people find it hard to understand, but I know it is something you can't just be talked out of.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your holiday, despite your fear
  Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2004, 21:50   #32
Matth
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Posts: 2,516
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Phobias

Wasps (stung once as a kid, sat on a not quite dead one in shorts ... what it was doing wearing shorts, I'll never know).
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 22:02   #33
Bugblatter
Inactive
 
Bugblatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Leeds
Age: 69
Posts: 109
Bugblatter is on a distinguished roadBugblatter is on a distinguished road
Re: Phobias

Daddy Long Legs flies - yuk

Having to do a presentation to chief executives, or anyone for that matter

And in the weird category . . . . . . . . beetroot! Aaaaaaaaargh! I can honestly say I find it so disgusting in taste, smell and texture, I cannot stand to look at it (red pickled stuff in jars)
Bugblatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 22:14   #34
ZrByte
Inactive
 
ZrByte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugblatter
Daddy Long Legs flies - yuk

Having to do a presentation to chief executives, or anyone for that matter

And in the weird category . . . . . . . . beetroot! Aaaaaaaaargh! I can honestly say I find it so disgusting in taste, smell and texture, I cannot stand to look at it (red pickled stuff in jars)
Interesting fact that most of you probably dont want to know.....
Ive got that disorder that makes the die from beetroot come out in my pee, not many people get it (Quite scary the first time, thought I was peeing blood )
I also get that thing with asparagus, that less then 1/10 people have, where you can smell it stronger after you have been for a pee than you could when you where eating the stuff

Well now that ive grossed most of you out, I'll get me coat
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 23:02   #35
Halcyon
Hello !
 
Halcyon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
Aeroplanes!
The worst thing in my opnion is the take off as thats where the most things can go wrong, as with the landing too.
Once you are up there, you are cruising all the way.
__________________
.
-

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 23:02   #36
bb31
Inactive
 
bb31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: singleton city
Age: 57
Posts: 624
bb31 has reached the bronze age
bb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze agebb31 has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to bb31
Re: Phobias

public speaking, celery and labradores spring to mind, but lately my daughters phobia has been passed on to me. she always scared off wasps after being stung when younger, each year gets worse as summer comes, now the phobias extended to anything that flies near her ....... and this has now been passed to me


oh and just remembered another one that makes me go mental at the thought ........chinese burns
bb31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 23:10   #37
Earl of Bronze
Guest
 
Location: Belfast
Posts: n/a
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
I have flown - twice - and managed not to get hysterical although it was a near thing. It's not the flying that bothers me particularly (ok well it does then!) but actually SEEING a plane flying past and having to get close to one - I'm sitting here now on the verge of panic just thinking about it!
When I went to Cyprus a few years back we had to walk across the tarmac to the plane - I had to be carried inside!
Ah Chimaera hun.

Good thing you've never flownin the back of an RAF 'Fat Albert' then, when they make a tactical landing. I remember the landing in Sarajevo airport, when I was on UN duties there. Power on steep decent (about 30 or 40 deg. decent, doing 200-205 knots) on short final, then slapping the C-130 into the tarmac doing about 160-180 knots, and then throwing all four engines into reverse and braking HARD. Ended up with all sorts of kit flying around the cargo hold. Ouch. I swear we didnt land, we crashed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 23:13   #38
kronas
Inactive
 
kronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: heckmondwike
Age: 40
Posts: 10,767
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
Re: Phobias

aeroplanes lifts (i can use them though) (spiders, wasps, anything like that.
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 23:15   #39
Marge
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 58
Posts: 5,566
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Marge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny starsMarge has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb31
she always scared off wasps after being stung when younger, each year gets worse as summer comes, now the phobias extended to anything that flies near her ....... and this has now been passed to me
Don't I know it Pair of you running about arms flapping and bawling
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2004, 23:17   #40
kronas
Inactive
 
kronas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: heckmondwike
Age: 40
Posts: 10,767
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
kronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronzekronas is cast in bronze
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsy42
Don't I know it Pair of you running about arms flapping and bawling
same here, especially when they buzz near you ear
kronas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 08:03   #41
Bex
Inactive
 
Bex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: surrey
Posts: 4,412
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex
Re: Phobias

i'm not overly keen on wasps..... and wasn't impressed that my long hot soak in the bath was disturbed last night by a wasp trapped in the bathroom

my mother is scared of anything that flies, especially wasps...when i was young she was in the garden sunbathing on a sunbed, she saw something fly past, freaked, and ended up rolling backwards off the sun bed which folded in half, was rather funny, especially as it was only a butterfly
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 08:09   #42
Ramrod
Inactive
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tonbridge
Age: 58
Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Posts: 21,960
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex
i'm not overly keen on wasps..... and wasn't impressed that my long hot soak in the bath was disturbed last night by a wasp trapped in the bathroom

my mother is scared of anything that flies, especially wasps...when i was young she was in the garden sunbathing on a sunbed, she saw something fly past, freaked, and ended up rolling backwards off the sun bed which folded in half, was rather funny, especially as it was only a butterfly
She would hate my budgie, he's always out of his cage.................
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 08:44   #43
greencreeper
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Leeds - the dog house
Age: 49
Services: Email me for a current price list
Posts: 8,270
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
Re: Phobias

Never been on a plane or any other flying device for that matter - don't really fancy it. I'm a bit of a nervous passenger regardless of the mode of transport. As for wasps - right with you there. Not that long ago I found a queen sat on my air fresher in the bathroom. I had a fit. I always know where the fly killer is Creepy crawlies and non-stinging flying things don't bother me too much so long as they're in small quantities. I once had to tackle a good few hundred house flies at my mate's flat Never seen anything like it - real horror movie stuff. Red ants I avoid. I do have a problem with escalators in that I'm scared of using them and much prefer lifts and stairs. Usually it's a deep breath and I leap onto it, hang onto the hand rail for dear life, then leap off the other end Food wise - well other than 'nanas I can't stand bones and gristle in food. Makes me chuck. I can't go on eating neither - the meal goes in the bin. Oh and mould - the really furry ones. Usually gets me shrieking like a big girl
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 09:38   #44
Dave Stones
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Selly Oak, Birmingham
Age: 41
Services: BT Broadband Option 3, BT Landline, Freeview
Posts: 3,214
Dave Stones has reached the bronze age
Dave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze ageDave Stones has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to Dave Stones
Re: Phobias

i have a fear of walking over water on a bridge, i get the feeling i will be blown off the side and will drown...

suppose by that definition i also have a fear of drowning

nothing else though, so far as i am aware
Dave Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2004, 10:02   #45
Nugget
Inactive
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Punmeister Towers
Age: 51
Services: Will provide gags for cash
Posts: 9,211
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Nugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered starsNugget is seeing silvered stars
Re: Phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stones
i have a fear of walking over water on a bridge, i get the feeling i will be blown off the side and will drown...

suppose by that definition i also have a fear of drowning

nothing else though, so far as i am aware
Now Dave, you do realise that technically that makes you a vampire (although looking at your avatar, I'm not surprised )
Nugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:53.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum