Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wobbly broadband for several days

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wobbly broadband for several days
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2006, 17:41   #1
Heedyheed
Inactive
 
Heedyheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 63
Heedyheed is an unknown quantity at this point
Wobbly broadband for several days

I've used NTL broadband since it was first launched in my area. I'm used to having the odd glitch, but things seem to have got a lot worse over the past couple of weeks. I'm seeing lots of 'page not found' errors and reliable sites like www.bbc.co.uk are failing to resolve - instead I get MSN search and the some uk.com site instead. The problem is the same on both the PCs on my network.

When the problem arises 'trying again' seems to fix it. I'm also seeing lots of slow-loading pages - again even on sites that are usually good, like the BBC.

Anyone else having similar problems? I'm using the standard 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100 addresses for DNS. Do NTL have any 'secret' ones that are better?

Thanks,

Mike
Heedyheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2006, 17:56   #2
staffie
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12
staffie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Phew, I thought it was just me.... I have been having a lot of trouble over the last couple of days with BBC (my home page) not loading and taking ages. I had checked for spyware etc - nothing, then I thought lets have a look on cable forum, and I saw your post.
staffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 18:07   #3
Heedyheed
Inactive
 
Heedyheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 63
Heedyheed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

I called support yesterday when I completely lost broadband service. I'd already rebooted the modem and ended-up with the 'cable' light being permanently out. We'd lost TV services at the same time, so I assumed they were related in some way. Support said thay had no reports of widespread broadband problems (the TV was out over quite a big area just as the footie was about to start), so they thought the faults weren't connected. They booked a visit, but then it burst back into life at the same time as the TV came back.

It really hacks me off to have to pay their 10p/min inflated rate for a call to report a problem on THEIR network. You'd think they had no tools to monitor what's happening, wouldn't you? Why oh why don't they include a network status announcement at the start of their call-taking process (with a 'press 1 to skip this message' option). Aaaagggghhhhh. Bloody NTL! Who'd still use them if there was any competition?

Mike
Heedyheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 18:32   #4
tymhestl
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1
tymhestl is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

I am suffering exactly these problems- through last week and still today. bbc.co.uk is my homepage- it is loading intermittently and links within it often leading to 'cannot find page' etc. Connection speed is fine. Problem occurs on both PCs in wireless network- when I switch internet access to work server all is fine- so definitely related to ntl. Ntl website suggest no service disruption and thought of trying to resolve on telephone leaves me feeling less than delighted- can anyone shed any light/has anyone received a credible response from ntl on this issue ?
tymhestl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 18:08   #5
king2001
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 23
king2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Posted in another topic here but I'm still getting very intermittent connection to sites. Once connected there doesn't seem to be a problem with speed until it stops finding the site again.

Was working ok for a few hours this morning but this problem has been going on since Friday
king2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 19:19   #6
susie r
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Midlands
Age: 69
Services: Virgin TV size XL, Telephone & 2mg Broadband
Posts: 277
susie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

I've been having exactly the same probs here too!!! On Friday I'd had enough as the cable light on the modem kept going off.then on.then off again, the t.v was also playing up. Called broadband support & the indian lady got me to go thru all the steps I'd already tried.i.e turning off the modem, waiting a few mins then powering up again, she assured me that its not a "local" problem and has booked an engineer for tomorrow morning...............its worked fine all day today..........dying to see what the engineer comes up with!
susie r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 20:44   #7
Theodoric
Inactive
 
Theodoric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 2,974
Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

I'm in the Bromley area and my broadband is extremely slow at the moment. I only persevered to see what was being posted on the subject here.

The last time I was on, Friday evening, things were pretty poor. However, it is essentially unusable at the moment.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 07:02   #8
Theodoric
Inactive
 
Theodoric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: London
Posts: 2,974
Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

And all now seems OK at 8 o'clock on this rainy Monday morning. I shall keep my fingers crossed.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 08:24   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,535
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

I was getting these same problems, and decided not to automatically blame NTL but to look at alternative answers.

One I found was a known problem with XP SP2 causing DNS errors... and a fix is to go into Admin Tools/ Services and stop DNS client from starting automatically. I did this and the errors did indeed stop!!

There is apparently a fix somewhere on the Windows site to sort this problem, but as yet I haven't found it. It should be an old fix going wayyyyyy back to the first days of SP2, but I read that a rebuild of Windows can cause it to reappear... though as with anything on the Net, it could be duff information.

Anyone got more info?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 09:45   #10
Heedyheed
Inactive
 
Heedyheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 63
Heedyheed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf
...and decided not to automatically blame NTL...
Why not? In my experience it's usually their fault

I found article 331880 on the Microsoft support site. Is that the one you meant? It relates to DNS client-side caching, and explains how to turn it off or change the cache time.

It looks like the client DNS cache is a mechanism that locally stores the results of a successful DNS query and reduces the number of DNS lookups that the client has to request because, having cached the results of a DNS query, it can just fetch it from memory instead.

The default cache time appears to be 86,400 seconds (1 day). I was seeing intermittent problems where a site would respond OK and then not respond a few seconds later. Given the short-term intermittent nature of the problem, I doubt that client DNS cacheing was to blame, but if the fault comes back I'll give it a try

Mike
Heedyheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 11:33   #11
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,535
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Ummm.. will have to dig to get the relative articles again, but it goes along the lines that XPSP2 would stop itself DNS cacheing due to another service running at the same time...

An article explaining cacheing tweaks here...

Articles http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-24.html
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 12:28   #12
Heedyheed
Inactive
 
Heedyheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 63
Heedyheed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf
...An article explaining cacheing tweaks here...
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/tune-24.html
Thanks - that's a useful link. I can see that DNS cache could add an additional dimension to the problem if NTL were having one of their frequent DNS problems. Under those circumstances it would presumably be a good idea to reduce the default value for the TTL time for negative responses from 5 minutes to nothing in order to force the PC to have another go at getting the right answer out of NTL's DNS servers. Maybe you could argue that it should be done for positive responses as well - which, come to think of it, is what you effectively did by stopping the cache service.

Mike
Heedyheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 13:19   #13
bilal
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 113
bilal is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
I'm in the Bromley area and my broadband is extremely slow at the moment. I only persevered to see what was being posted on the subject here.

The last time I was on, Friday evening, things were pretty poor. However, it is essentially unusable at the moment.
Yeah ive been having this problem too, changed the proxy server and its better but still not perfect. Now it seems to be back to normal and ive got my normal proxy server on again. Looking on the service status page the issue seems to have been fixed and my nets working fine again

http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceSt...px?FaultID=544
bilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2006, 13:34   #14
susie r
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Midlands
Age: 69
Services: Virgin TV size XL, Telephone & 2mg Broadband
Posts: 277
susie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation erasusie r has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie r
I've been having exactly the same probs here too!!! On Friday I'd had enough as the cable light on the modem kept going off.then on.then off again, the t.v was also playing up. Called broadband support & the indian lady got me to go thru all the steps I'd already tried.i.e turning off the modem, waiting a few mins then powering up again, she assured me that its not a "local" problem and has booked an engineer for tomorrow morning...............its worked fine all day today..........dying to see what the engineer comes up with!
Engineer arrived at 10 am this morning, he's changed the modem to a nice little blue one NTL250, the old Terrayon one was on its way out apparently.He's also booked someone to come and have a look in the green box on the corner to see if anything needs doing in there.
susie r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2006, 10:13   #15
Heedyheed
Inactive
 
Heedyheed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bedfordshire
Posts: 63
Heedyheed is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wobbly broadband for several days

Service went all crappy again first thing this morning. Major sites like www.bbc.co,uk and www.google.com weren't resolving intermittently and most sites were very slow to load. I ran a download speed test and got 86k bps the first time and 320k bps the second. Now its back up to the normal 3.9 meg and all my regular sites are loading just fine.

Before I retired, I used to work a lot from home and was completely dependent on a good reliable broadband service. Just as well I'm a 'silver surfer' now and can afford to walk away from the PC when NTL throws a wobbly

Mike
Heedyheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:16.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum