Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linux

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Linux
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 24-08-2003, 16:42   #1
Shaun
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,064
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Linux

Whats the best Linux distro for a Linux virgin?

I'm feeling a little adventurous, I want one thats not too hard to set up but will teach me the basics of Linux as I install and customise it
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2003, 16:45   #2
Stalker
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 83
Stalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Stalker
Mandrake by far.

views are different on this, but i found RedHat a pain in the ar$e to start off with. Mandrake pretty much explains everything through the install process & the manual explains the rest. It even detected & installed my HP printer

§talk

Edit: spelling
Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 16:51   #3
danielf
cf.mega poser
 
danielf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Yes, AFAIK Mandrake is the most user friendly, or maybe I should say the least user hostile
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
danielf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 16:54   #4
Shaun
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,064
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Cool, I'll see if I can locate a copy to D/L

One thing I'm a little unsure of is how I go about getting my system ready to install the new O/S.

I'm running XP home, I'm going to format a free partition on my HDD with partition magic, but how do I get it to let me boot to that partition to install Linux? Will I need to burn the iso's to a CD and let it bot from that??

Any links to good Linux sites aimed at noobs would be great.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 16:59   #5
Stalker
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 83
Stalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Stalker
ok,

you download the Mandrake ISO's (you definatly need number 1, and i would advise having number 2, but u can get away easily without number 3 saving a 650mb d/l)

format with partition magic, make it probably minimum of 7-8 gig. Chuck in Linux disk 1 & reboot.....it strts itself and allows you to select the partition you want to install to.

It aso installs a boot manager later on so you can choose which OS to boot at startup.

hope this helps,

§talk
Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 17:03   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser
 
danielf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Before you create your partitions, have a look on the web, about dual booting XP and Linux. As I recall, windows is a bit finicky about its location (but I think you're allright installing Linux on a system that already has XP)
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
danielf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 17:05   #7
Shaun
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,064
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
All sounds to easy, I'm off to find the iso'd now, do I just want the latest version?

When I format the drive its going on does it need to be to linux Ext 2 or will the install prog do this too (like XP)(and do I need a swap partition?)?

Oh and cheers for the help guys.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 17:25   #8
Stalker
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 83
Stalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Stalker
it'll sort all that out on install

§talk
Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 18:26   #9
Richard M
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Age: 47
Posts: 6,343
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Richard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze arrayRichard M has a bronze array
Get the ISO images from here:
ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sunsite...e/Mandrake/iso

Choose Ext3 for the drive(s) in the setup.
You'll like it a lot, I've been running Mandrake 9 with XP Pro happily for about 3 weeks now with no problems at all.
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 18:35   #10
BenH
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Manchester
Posts: 74
BenH is an unknown quantity at this point
As hard as it is for me to say, their all right. Mandrake is superb for newbies. Although if you just want to get a taster of Linux before spending the next 12 hours downloading iso's, take a look at Knoppix, a single disk live distro based off debian with KDE as its default desktop.

Have Fun.

Ben
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2003, 18:42   #11
BenH
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Manchester
Posts: 74
BenH is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by dellwear

When I format the drive its going on does it need to be to linux Ext 2 or will the install prog do this too (like XP)(and do I need a swap partition?)?
Ext2 is now very depreciated, replaced with Ext3 or Reiser. Ext2 is now really only used in embedded systems.

As for a swap partition, its now no longer as vital as it once was so long as your on an up to date system. Depending on your system the swap should be equal to, to twice the size of your RAM.

Regards,

Ben
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 14:12   #12
Shaun
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,064
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
I've got my mandrake iso's burned to disk, I'm off to try and install it.

Thanks for all the advice I'll let you all know how I get on, from what you say I may not need a swap file as my comp is relatively new (2.8Ghz P4, 512Mb, 120Gb HDD).

See you all in a bit, I'll scream if I need anything.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 14:27   #13
BenH
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South Manchester
Posts: 74
BenH is an unknown quantity at this point
Use at least some swap space, the installer should assign an amount, then tamper with it. Some programs seem to like swap space.

Personally, despite a gig of RAM on my main machine, I still have 256Megs set aside for swap.
BenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 20:46   #14
Shaun
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,064
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Unhappy

Everything went well in the install, or at least I thought it had, everything worked, and the system rebooted, the boot-loader seemed to work, and it started going through a check list.

All fine, I'm really glad that was so easy!!

Only problem is: it came to 'checking module dependencies' and seemed to get stuck, I left it for 45 min, but it was still there. No HDD movement nothing.

I rebooted the comp and it all worked fine, but got stuck on mounting the file-system!

Well I thought I'd try formatting and installing again, fine all went well until it got to rebooting, started to d other check list, and came to 'checking module dependencies'. It was stuck again.

I'm a little confused now, it was going so well, the installation had found drivers for nearly everything except my printer I was well impressed but I cant seem to get past this.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 22:09   #15
Shaun
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,064
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Anyone?
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum