NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
23-01-2005, 01:33
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
Posts: 19
|
NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
Telewest subscribers are due to get 3 channel digital video recorder option later this year. Anyone know whether NTL has anything similar in pipeline?
See http://www.scientificatlanta.com/new.../05Jan20-1.htm for details of the upcoming Telewest PVR.
|
|
|
23-01-2005, 10:07
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hove
Age: 38
Services: Virgin Media VIP - 2 x V6, M350 & phone
Posts: 288
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
ntl have said they have a PVR release planned for the 2nd half of 2005, although no specific details have been released. Something tells me that after the simultaneous trial rollouts of VoD, we may well see ntl and TW rollout a PVR at the same time aswell.
Browneggsandham
|
|
|
23-01-2005, 11:15
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire
Posts: 19
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
Hope you're right. Do this and they've overcome my reasons for staying NTL analogue and getting digital via Freesky
|
|
|
23-01-2005, 13:57
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Farnborough
Age: 52
Services: V6 Virgin 360,
Volt Gig1 BB,
Posts: 272
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
I hope we get something similar to the TW box, and in the not to distant future. For me, VOD is great as far as PPV movies go, but I'd find a multi-tuner PVR far, far more useful.
Andy.
|
|
|
23-01-2005, 20:49
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: N.East England
Posts: 493
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
it will be interesting to see if its going to cost extra for this box as its a lot of kit to go missing like a 160gig drive.
|
|
|
24-01-2005, 08:47
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Bromley
Age: 48
Posts: 2,688
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
i just hope the boxes are specced well wnough to be able to cope with broadband and PVR.. as most of us know if you have broadband through a STB then high bandwidth \ connections can slow down the TV.. with a new service like PVR we don't want the same thing to happen
|
|
|
26-01-2005, 09:54
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Nottingham
Age: 48
Posts: 121
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by hairy_mick
it will be interesting to see if its going to cost extra for this box as its a lot of kit to go missing like a 160gig drive.
|
My bet is they will either charge a deposit on the boxes or ask you to pay upfront in someway. Too many "Think they know it alls" out there who will be upgrading, downgrading and generally pillaging their PVR's and I as a customer dont want to be paying for their mess ups.
EDIT:
I HOPE NTL also ditch PACE, they are soo poor. Hopefully the software will run as it should do on the new STB's along with the ability to handle more than a THREE day program guide else the PVR functionality is semi-useless.
|
|
|
26-01-2005, 11:00
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,604
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
I'm sure i read somewhere (can't think where) that Simon Duffy has said that ntl have no plans at present for PVR, as they will be concentrating on VOD
just can't find the link at the moment
|
|
|
26-01-2005, 11:09
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South-East-Cambridge
Services: ntl digital basepack
ntl 1M broadband
Posts: 1,068
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
In all likelyhood, NTL and Telewest will probably have merged before NTL introduce PVRs. So then it will be just a matter of rolling out the Telewest DVR across the NTelewestL network.
|
|
|
26-01-2005, 11:09
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 6,058
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Graham F
I'm sure i read somewhere (can't think where) that Simon Duffy has said that ntl have no plans at present for PVR, as they will be concentrating on VOD
just can't find the link at the moment 
|
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
|
|
|
26-01-2005, 11:22
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,604
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
it was after that was said, in the last 10 days
It might be me dreaming it though as have been ill for the last 2 weeks
 i will shut up now, unless i find that link!!
__________________
kinda found it, but not really saying much at all
Quote:
|
NTL said it had not ruled out the possibility of offering a PVR but for the moment is concentrating on video-on-demand.
|
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4184479.stm
|
|
|
28-01-2005, 22:05
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Posts: 1,157
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
I read exactly that too, that ntl had no plans for a PVR. The BBC doesn;t usually get it wrong.
BTW, what's VolP and 3/LLU?
|
|
|
28-01-2005, 22:38
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Glastonbury!
Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Posts: 1,350
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
Well just the other week the BBC News site was touting VOD as "the cable companies' version of Sky Plus", so I wouldn't set all that much store by what they say.
VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol. As it sounds, it's a way of routing telephone calls over the internet, in theory giving much, much cheaper calls.
3/LLU is Option 3 Local Loop Unbundling. As I understand it, this is where a third party installs equipment in a BT exchange in order to provide TV-over-DSL facilities (as Homechoice do in London). I might be wrong though.
|
|
|
29-01-2005, 21:06
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Posts: 1,157
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
Maybe not but we shall see.
I think you are right about local loop unbundling. BT was forced to open up the local loop and I guess ntl/TW will have to also.
|
|
|
31-01-2005, 09:50
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nottingham
Age: 51
Services: Phone, V+ (with ex-ntl Select pack), 2Mb BB.
Posts: 11
|
Re: NTL PVR †“ anything on horizon?
Hello everyone,
I'm new here and only had NTL since mid-December. In previous house, I only had analogue aerial with no channel 5, so moving to NTL with only my Base pack is great as far as quality and diversity goes.
I've used Sky+ at girlfriends parents and it is great, I hope the PVR from Telewest comes to NTL soon and is as good as promised.
Does anyone know if this box will support digital audio out (either optical or coax) and S-Video out? Also, will it have HDMI / Component video out?
Sure I can get RGB vidro via SCART direct to tv, but I want to add 5.1 home cinema receiver and don't want to be stuck with Composite video signal as my current Samsung 2100 offers! This really annoyed when I found out, as did the realisation I can only watch one and record the same channel at any one time!
My flat doesn't allow Sky or analogue aerial, so I'm stuck until PVR comes out.
Regards,
BOBSta
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:40.
|