Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
20-09-2026, 20:13
|
#1
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 2
|
Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Our Virgin 360 box was updated a few weeks ago, since then the colours are weird and very dark. In GB News the captions of news that run along the bottom are so dark they are hardly readable. I messed about with the colours on the tv thinking it was that but no difference. The apps and menus are also dark, and at times you can barely see them, then suddenly everything is bright again.
I googled it to see what I could do to fix it and according to google and AI its a known problem with the 360 boxes when they do an update. They give quite a few solutions i.e changing the resolution amongst other things, turn off eco mode etc. Tried all of that b  ut to no avail. Any ideas anyone?
|
|
|
21-09-2026, 07:52
|
#2
|
|
EU citizen proud of it!
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Belfast
Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
Posts: 1,450
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Quote:
|
In GB News the captions of news that run along the bottom are so dark they are hardly readable
|
To be fair, those captions are unreadable but nothing to do with VM
lol
__________________
advertise here...........
|
|
|
21-09-2026, 10:28
|
#3
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e
To be fair, those captions are unreadable but nothing to do with VM
lol
|
Have no problems  don't use via any sort of service from virgin
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
21-09-2026, 12:13
|
#4
|
|
Roger_Gooner
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Services: Virgin Media M350, Hub 5, Mega TV with TNT Sports and Sky Sports & Cinema HD, TV 360 box + landline
Posts: 177
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
I have no problem, my version is 5.28. Do you have a later version?
It seems as if SDR content being mis‑flagged as HDR and your problem can be caused by HDMI/HDCP negotiation, so check that your TV's HDMI port is configured for UHD. I have these settings for my Philips OLED:
HDMI Ultra HD: for HDMI 1 it's set to Optimal*
In SDR mode: HDR Perfect is set to Off
*Other makers use terms like:
“HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour” (LG)
“Input Signal Plus” (Samsung)
“Enhanced Format” (Sony)
If you change your setting reboot the TV 360.
__________________
I'm always right... except when I'm wrong
Last edited by gunner45; 21-09-2026 at 12:16.
|
|
|
21-09-2026, 16:30
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oxford (area 31)
Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, Freely HD, SkyQ (UHD), EEtv (UHD), DAB+
Posts: 2,120
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
And you've changed the HDMI lead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libra
Our Virgin 360 box was updated a few weeks ago, since then the colours are weird and very dark. In GB News the captions of news that run along the bottom are so dark they are hardly readable. I messed about with the colours on the tv thinking it was that but no difference. The apps and menus are also dark, and at times you can barely see them, then suddenly everything is bright again.
I googled it to see what I could do to fix it and according to google and AI its a known problem with the 360 boxes when they do an update. They give quite a few solutions i.e changing the resolution amongst other things, turn off eco mode etc. Tried all of that b  ut to no avail. Any ideas anyone?
|
|
|
|
06-10-2026, 12:55
|
#6
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: Sep 2026
Posts: 2
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45
I have no problem, my version is 5.28. Do you have a later version?
It seems as if SDR content being mis‑flagged as HDR and your problem can be caused by HDMI/HDCP negotiation, so check that your TV's HDMI port is configured for UHD. I have these settings for my Philips OLED:
HDMI Ultra HD: for HDMI 1 it's set to Optimal*
In SDR mode: HDR Perfect is set to Off
*Other makers use terms like:
“HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour” (LG)
“Input Signal Plus” (Samsung)
“Enhanced Format” (Sony)
If you change your setting reboot the TV 360.
|
Thank You
I will have a look at what you have said, Much appreciated
---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------
I had a look, and on my Samsung it's input signal 1, as you said.
It has HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. Both are checked to be on.
I unchecked it, but sadly it's a bad time to try because the colour is OK; it intermittently goes dark, and a few hours later it's bright again.
As I said above, I did Google it, and it came up saying Virgin is aware of this problem.
It's a bit of a pain because sometimes it's so dark, the menus for what's on TV, etc as well
|
|
|
Yesterday, 22:35
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,060
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libra
As I said above, I did Google it, and it came up saying Virgin is aware of this problem.
|
If I'm Googling the same thing as you, it seems to be an AI hallucination. It confidently stated "Yes, Virgin Media is fully aware". I asked it for the links that state this and it admitted there aren't any
Anyhow... I suggest you factory reset your TV, make sure its firmware is up to date, then disable HDMI-CEC in the TV settings
|
|
|
Today, 05:20
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oxford (area 31)
Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, Freely HD, SkyQ (UHD), EEtv (UHD), DAB+
Posts: 2,120
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
It may be worth removing all other HDMI devices for a while.
I had an issue with my 360 device and turned odd ALL HDMI-CEC settings on ALL devices - yet the problem would start up again. Eventually I found an issue with one device where the setting was getting switched back on. It is only the 360 that has an issue with it and I just turn it off again for a few more days with no issue.
Also, AI is no-ones friend except for mis-information. I've often asked a question to Alexa or Co-Pilot and it comes back with wrong answer only to say "your right" when you point out the error.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libra
Thank You
I will have a look at what you have said, Much appreciated
---------- Post added at 13:55 ---------- Previous post was at 13:29 ----------
I had a look, and on my Samsung it's input signal 1, as you said.
It has HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. Both are checked to be on.
I unchecked it, but sadly it's a bad time to try because the colour is OK; it intermittently goes dark, and a few hours later it's bright again.
As I said above, I did Google it, and it came up saying Virgin is aware of this problem.
It's a bit of a pain because sometimes it's so dark, the menus for what's on TV, etc as well
|
|
|
|
Today, 07:40
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,255
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat
It may be worth removing all other HDMI devices for a while.
I had an issue with my 360 device and turned odd ALL HDMI-CEC settings on ALL devices - yet the problem would start up again. Eventually I found an issue with one device where the setting was getting switched back on. It is only the 360 that has an issue with it and I just turn it off again for a few more days with no issue.
Also, AI is no-ones friend except for mis-information. I've often asked a question to Alexa or Co-Pilot and it comes back with wrong answer only to say "your right" when you point out the error.
|
I asked it how many channels were on VHF ATT and it said channels 1-4, it also said that Channel 4 showed Testcard F with music prior to starting in 1982, until I corrected it.
Hopefully it will remember corrections that people make.
---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
If I'm Googling the same thing as you, it seems to be an AI hallucination. It confidently stated "Yes, Virgin Media is fully aware". I asked it for the links that state this and it admitted there aren't any
Anyhow... I suggest you factory reset your TV, make sure its firmware is up to date, then disable HDMI-CEC in the TV settings
|
A friend has had the 360 installed, he has a HD TV and could get the UHD channel fine with the V6, but with the 360 it just shows a light purple screen with 4K in the middle. Google/AI says that he should amend the setting to one that doesn't exist. It is currently set to "Automatic', any ideas SP?
|
|
|
Today, 08:14
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,060
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
he has a HD TV and could get the UHD channel fine with the V6, but with the 360 it just shows a light purple screen with 4K in the middle
|
If you connect a V6 to a HDTV, it will downscale UHD broadcast channels to HD, but 360 refuses to show them. Neither software will allow you to watch UHD On Demand.
There is no setting that can change this. He needs a UHD TV if he wants to watch UHD content. He was never getting a UHD picture anyway.
|
|
|
Today, 08:29
|
#11
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,255
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
If you connect a V6 to a HDTV, it will downscale UHD broadcast channels to HD, but 360 refuses to show them. Neither software will allow you to watch UHD On Demand.
There is no setting that can change this. He needs a UHD TV if he wants to watch UHD content. He was never getting a UHD picture anyway.
|
Thanks, i'll let him know that he has now lost this channel unless he gets a UHD telly.
|
|
|
Today, 08:42
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oxford (area 31)
Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, Freely HD, SkyQ (UHD), EEtv (UHD), DAB+
Posts: 2,120
|
Re: Problems with 360 box since it was updated.
I have found that Alexa and Copilot only remember your corrections for you. If you clear the history it will make the same mistakes again.
Oddly, Alexa and Copilot give almost word for word the same errors when I ask "who is Ronnie Bond" and it get's two different people confused into one.
It only pieces bits of info together and assumed if they are on the Internet they are correct - the same mistake people make doing Internet searches.
Doing AI and Internet searches only mean "this might be correct and it might be wrong"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
I asked it how many channels were on VHF ATT and it said channels 1-4, it also said that Channel 4 showed Testcard F with music prior to starting in 1982, until I corrected it.
Hopefully it will remember corrections that people make.
---------- Post added at 08:40 ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 ----------
A friend has had the 360 installed, he has a HD TV and could get the UHD channel fine with the V6, but with the 360 it just shows a light purple screen with 4K in the middle. Google/AI says that he should amend the setting to one that doesn't exist. It is currently set to "Automatic', any ideas SP?
|
Last edited by ozsat; Today at 09:10.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:58.
|