01-10-2026, 02:24
|
#1021
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,250
|
Re: Virgin TV (2026)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The most likely item to fail in them is the disk, which is not hard to replace.
|
Indeed, but when a Virgin HDD dies they replace it with a whole new box. Maybe it's to save time. I wonder if they are discarded now or repaired? If the latter then, in theory, it should be a very long time until Virgin or Sky completely run out.
If streaming could be recorded that would appease a lot of people reluctant to changing, but only BT/EE boxes allow this. I suspect it's because they want people to have to use VOD for the ad revenue.
|
|
|
01-10-2026, 14:46
|
#1022
|
|
Roger_Gooner
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London
Services: Virgin Media M350, Hub 5, Mega TV with TNT Sports and Sky Sports & Cinema HD, TV 360 box + landline
Posts: 176
|
Re: Virgin TV (2026)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter
Indeed, but when a Virgin HDD dies they replace it with a whole new box. Maybe it's to save time. I wonder if they are discarded now or repaired? If the latter then, in theory, it should be a very long time until Virgin or Sky completely run out.
|
The usual practice is for boxes returned by customers to go to central warehousing hubs managed by logistics partners where any refurbishment is done at the box level, e.g. software corruption is corrected with a firmware reflash, but not at the component level like hard drives as repair costs will far exceed the purchase cost of the unit. Rejected boxes are palletised in bulk and sent to approved authorised treatment facilities (AATFs) for recycling under strict UK waste regulations.
__________________
I'm always right... except when I'm wrong
|
|
|
06-10-2026, 14:31
|
#1023
|
|
Got inside news - PM me
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Media Boy UK HQ
Posts: 15,149
|
Re: Virgin TV (2026)
Paramount SkyDance and Warner Bros Discovery has now merge into SkyDance Corporation
SkyDance now own the following in the UK and Northern Ireland.
Channel 5 Ltd:
*5
*5USA
*5STAR
*5ACTION
*5SELECT (Soon to be 5Drama)
Own by SkyDance:
*TLC
*QUEST
*MTV
*Quest Red
*Really
*I.D.
*Food Network
*Really
*I.D.
*Food Network
*DMAX
*Discovery Channel
*Animal Planet
*Discovery Science
*Discovery Turbo
*Discovery History
*CNN HD
*Cartoon Network
*Cartoonito
*Boomerang
Paramount UK Partnership:
*Comedy Central
*Comedy Central Extra
Part own:
*TRUE CRIME (50% own by AMC)
*LEGEND (50% own by AMC)
*LEGEND XTRA (50% own by AMC)
*TRUE CRIME XTRA (50% own by AMC)
*TNT Sports (50% own by BT)
Nickelodeon UK Ltd:
*Nick
*Nick Jr
*Nick Jr Too
*Nicktoons
Skydancing At Last: $110B Merger Of Paramount And Warner Bros Discovery Officially Closes
https://deadline.com/2026/10/skydanc...ry-1237147750/
|
|
|
06-10-2026, 14:56
|
#1024
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Oct 2018
Services: 1GB Broadband, TV 360 + Stream, Prime, Netflix, Apple TV, Disney+, Paramount+
Posts: 848
|
Re: Virgin TV (2026)
The Skydance press release today says the "direct-to-consumer streaming products will unify into a single service over time"
First step may be a HBO Max & Paramount+ bundle available direct ?
|
|
|
06-10-2026, 16:47
|
#1025
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: Virgin TV (2026)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2018
The Skydance press release today says the "direct-to-consumer streaming products will unify into a single service over time"
First step may be a HBO Max & Paramount+ bundle available direct ?
|
Short time saving monies, overtime prices will make the whole thing will no doubt cost more. Talking of monies see virgin junk bonds are diving
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
Yesterday, 15:08
|
#1026
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 733
|
Re: Virgin TV (2026)
I know it's unlikely, but when 5Drama launches on Virgin TV, replacing 5Select, I'd really like to see Virgin Media upgrade 5USA and 5Star to HD, along with 5Drama.
We already have 5 HD and 5Action HD so it would be good to have the rest of the 5 channels in HD here.
|
|
|
Today, 03:07
|
#1027
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,250
|
Re: Virgin TV (2026)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster
I know it's unlikely, but when 5Drama launches on Virgin TV, replacing 5Select, I'd really like to see Virgin Media upgrade 5USA and 5Star to HD, along with 5Drama.
We already have 5 HD and 5Action HD so it would be good to have the rest of the 5 channels in HD here.
|
Indeed. I thought Virgin were aiming to get as many channels as possible onto HD, these channels do exist elsewhere and they own their own capacity, so I can't see why they aren't now in HD.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:29.
|