16-11-2015, 17:51
|
#1
|
|
This tastes nice
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hindley Green Wigan
Services: TV360/1gb internet
Posts: 571
|
Mains wall sockets?
Does anyone have those mains wall sockets that have built in USB ports?
Are they safe enough as I don't fancy blowing by tech or am I better just using a USB charger.
__________________
I once had Amnesia, i remember it well !!!
|
|
|
16-11-2015, 18:38
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oxfordshire
Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2,
200Mb Broadband
XL phone
Posts: 1,158
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
I have an unit that consists of two mains sockets and 2 USB ports which plugs into a continental socket. I have had no problems with it in France I wouldn't think there would be any problems.
|
|
|
16-11-2015, 18:43
|
#3
|
|
Rafalution
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 5,345
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
I'd just stick to a normal Plug to USB charger. That's just me though.
Not 100% on this second bit but I do know it affects light fixtures, I'm aware that some maintenance voids home insurance if not carried out by a certified electrician, as above, light fixtures are the ones I'm aware of but it would make sense to affect wall sockets too, maybe someone else can confirm.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Univ...words=usb+plug
Would this not suffice? Can click around to tone the amount of ports down.
|
|
|
16-11-2015, 19:03
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Here & there ...
Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
Posts: 5,252
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
I have one in my kitchen when it was refitted I think it is great. It was fitted by the electrician who did the electric work in our kitchen so I could not advice on fitting.
We got ours from screwfix.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-...ed-steel/18294
|
|
|
16-11-2015, 19:37
|
#5
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: DaRk SiDe Of ThE MooN
Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
Posts: 645
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100
Does anyone have those mains wall sockets that have built in USB ports?
Are they safe enough as I don't fancy blowing by tech or am I better just using a USB charger.
|
Yea go ahead. There is nothing unsafe with them
..i have 2 of them at my pc desk : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-B...+Outlets+metal
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 08:25
|
#6
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,583
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc
I'd just stick to a normal Plug to USB charger. That's just me though.
Not 100% on this second bit but I do know it affects light fixtures, I'm aware that some maintenance voids home insurance if not carried out by a certified electrician, as above, light fixtures are the ones I'm aware of but it would make sense to affect wall sockets too, maybe someone else can confirm.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TeckNet-Univ...words=usb+plug
Would this not suffice? Can click around to tone the amount of ports down.
|
How would it affect light fixtures?
All it is is a wall plate with the 5v transformer built in, saving you having to plug a 5v transformer into one of the three-pin sockets.
I have never seen one of these up close, but I assume the socket plate requires a slightly deeper back box to accommodate the transformer. I would say that as long as the OP is confident he can fit one into his existing back box, or is competent to change the back box if necessary, then there is no reason not to go for it.
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 08:32
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Only thing I'd highlight is that built-in USB sockets probably won't support any 'fast-charging' standards.
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 08:35
|
#8
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,583
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Again ... Why would that be? I'd have thought wiring it directly to the ring main would make it easier to add clever stuff like fast-charge support.
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 08:43
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Yes, but then unless I'm misunderstanding how it works it would be dependent on the manufacturer of the socket paying for the licence to use the appropriate fast charging standard, in addition to the hardware. None of the sockets I can find currently include it.
That's not to say that they won't in the future - but it would still only be whatever is available at the time, rather than any future revisions.
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 09:28
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Got many chargers and none of them have gone wrong, only thing that tends to break is the cables (which is a pain for those that have a cable permanently attached).. There's no reason as to why these sockets are not just as reliable. I keep meaning to buy myself a few.
PS @ Chris.. No transformer but instead a little switch mode PSU  Linear PSU's seem to have died for any application which isn't hum sensitive like ham radio
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 10:20
|
#11
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,583
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
 to CF's resident goddess of electrical engineering.
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 13:11
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
 to CF's resident goddess of electrical engineering. 
|
Better I suppose than being the CF goddess of spanking
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 13:48
|
#13
|
|
Rafalution
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 36
Posts: 5,345
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
How would it affect light fixtures?
All it is is a wall plate with the 5v transformer built in, saving you having to plug a 5v transformer into one of the three-pin sockets.
I have never seen one of these up close, but I assume the socket plate requires a slightly deeper back box to accommodate the transformer. I would say that as long as the OP is confident he can fit one into his existing back box, or is competent to change the back box if necessary, then there is no reason not to go for it.
|
Sorry I appear to have written it backwards, it was the bit that followed regarding home insurance. I knew changing fixtures affected it but was unaware if changing wall sockets also voided home insurance in lieu of an accident.
|
|
|
17-11-2015, 14:26
|
#14
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Mains wall sockets?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Again ... Why would that be? I'd have thought wiring it directly to the ring main would make it easier to add clever stuff like fast-charge support.
|
Being "directly connected to the ring main" has nothing to do with it. Being proprietary, expensive, manufacturer-specific licensed technologies that change very quickly does however.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:37.
|