Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection suddenly less than 0.5M

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Connection suddenly less than 0.5M
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2015, 22:25   #1
DLD
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
DLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Connection suddenly less than 0.5M

Hi,

I've been using the same Internet set-up for many years without any issues. About 3 months ago my connection started to become slow and streaming video (SD quality) would no longer play. Kodi gave an error message saying my Internet connection was too slow. Yesterday I did a speed test and it showed 2M. Today it has gone down to 0.5M.

About 3 months ago I received emails from Virgin saying that they were upgrading the network in my area. Since then I have had about 4 outages of varying lengths. I have no idea if that is the cause of my problems but it had been very stable before then.

Tech support seem unable to help. They tell me there is nothing wrong with my connection and insist it must be my PC or my router. Neither of these have changed in years. I tried using a different PC and got the same result. Swapping my router for one I use as a wifi access point also gave no improvement.

I'm using an old ntl cable modem (i.e. not a superhub) and I tried connecting directly to it. I did an ipconfig and the PC seemed to be allocated the IP address of the modem(?) but no dns servers or gateway were defined. I went into network properties to try to define them but I got an error message saying the network device was not working even though ipconfig showed it with an ip address.

I'm not sure what I should have done at that point. I didn''t know the IP address of the speed test site to enter it manually. Looking at this forum says I should have connected to the modem but I can't seem to find any instructions on what to do once connected.

Virgin tech support said that they were going to run a diagnostic test on my connection that would take two hours, but when I called back no one knew anything about such a test. Each person I spoke to then either hung-up or transferred me to different departments ( e.g mobile and TV).

I'm now at the stage where I think I need to cancel my contract so this forum is my last hope. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

DLD
DLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2015, 23:17   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!
 
pip08456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Connection suddenly less than 0.5M

Wow, I didn't think anyone was still using the old NTL modem, you are obviously on a retentions legacy connection (if that's the correct terminology).

Any recent upgrades should not have had any effect on your connection as you are on the old (legacy) DOCSIS network.

To connect directly to the modem first unplug it and turn off your PC.

Hook up the ethernet cable to both and turn on the modem. Wait until the modem has connected (lights stop flashing) then turn on PC.

I would normallt now ask for the Upstream/downstream stats from the modem but I can't remember the user/pass for it.

I think (IIRC) they are both admin so you could give it a try.

You might want to consider contacting retentions to see if you can get a good deal on an upgrade.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 16:04   #3
DLD
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2
DLD is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Connection suddenly less than 0.5M

It looks like you were right... the modem actually says Virgin on it. As it is usually hidden away I hadn't actually read it. My login is ntl and I don't remember ever changing the modem but I guess I must have. What I was trying to say is that it's not a superhub.

Hooking up the computer to the modem is no problem. Where I am lost is what to do then. How do I query the speed once connected? As no DNS servers are defined I can't just type in a speed test website in firefox. This forum seems to say that is not the best way to test anyway.... but I couldn't find what I should be doing. With a very slow internet connection it is almost impossible to do a google search!!!
DLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 16:23   #4
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!
 
pip08456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Connection suddenly less than 0.5M

You can manually select google DNS.

Here's how to.

https://developers.google.com/speed/...cs/using?hl=en
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:36.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum