Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
02-10-2015, 12:30
|
#1
|
|
cf.member
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 21
|
Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
I am currently on 50Mb package.
Today got a call from 0800 4089341 which is a genuine confirmed virgin media number.
The caller (foreign sounding lady) told me she was calling to let me know that I would shortly be receiving a new modem/ router because of the speed increases. She also said my speed would increase to100Mb when the equipment was registered. I said I failed to understand why I would need new equipment and that I had already had the increase confirmed to be to 70Mb next month.
She said some areas would be 70, some 100 if they are lucky! I was one of the lucky ones apparently. She then asked if I was aware of the new price rises,that it would be between £3 and £4 a month. I said that I had a letter last week saying the increase would be £1.75.
At this point she hung up on me!
Clearly she was attempting to sign me up to a higher package without me realising and using the newly announced speed increases and price rise to confuse the issue. If this is a tactic endorsed by Virgin then I am appalled and considering taking this further.
Thought I would let you all know as I doubt I will be the only one to get this call.
|
|
|
02-10-2015, 14:35
|
#2
|
|
Woke and proud !
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 10,251
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
She's very naughty. Inevitable consequence of offshoring and paying people on sales. Guess she's on such a low age that it's a risk worth taking. Never buy anything from anybody who just rings up or appears on your doorstep - never bad advice. Still, poor show from a company like VM.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 09:04
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 17
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Definitely sounds like she was trying to upsell you onto the 100Mbps plan.
Bad behaviour from the tech but as the delightful Mr K said, she's probably on such a low wage that she'll quite happily do anything to make a sale, whether you're aware of it being a sale or not.
|
|
|
06-10-2015, 18:49
|
#4
|
|
Wisdom & truth
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT
Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Shocking behaviour by VM. They know people don't like these calls; they know that the method used on the calls is despised by people.
Ergo VM despises its customers would be a logical conclusion.
__________________
Seph.
My advice is at your risk.
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 12:33
|
#5
|
|
Woke and proud !
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 10,251
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
Shocking behaviour by VM. They know people don't like these calls; they know that the method used on the calls is despised by people.
Ergo VM despises its customers would be a logical conclusion.
|
Just opt out of these calls, it is possible. Opt out of all marketing and register with the TPS (and never give your landline no. out). Works for me, never get any unsolicited calls (apart from the mother-in-law, but i'm working on that.....)
Having said that VM was one company I had trouble with as they have my phone number (!) and obviously take no notice of TPS or customers wishes. They were insistent I should upgrade my call package every month. The foreign people from a long way away seemed desperate that I do so, as if their family meal that night depended on it. It took a complaint for them to stop, but they haven't bothered me since.
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 13:11
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Just to point this out, that registering for the TPS won't stop existing relationship sales calls.
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/index.html
Quote:
|
Organisations with which you have an ongoing relationship, for example those who regard you as a customer, (or in the case of charities - a donor) may well gather your consent during the early stages of your relationship with them and will therefore be entitled to call you even if your number is registered on TPS, unless you have previously told them specifically that you object to them calling you for marketing purposes.
|
Virgin Media customer services can mark your account as 'no contact' for Virgin Media offer marketing purposes and then the outbound teams will follow that. However this will opt you out of all offer marketing, rather than just calls.
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 13:35
|
#7
|
|
Perfect Soldier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthing West Sussex
Age: 69
Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy
in modem mode
XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
Posts: 11,316
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
I'm with TPS but still get "international", "out of area" and "withheld" cold callers but I never pick it up and just let the answerphone take them. Still annoying. Last one was trying to sell washing machine insurance.
__________________
History is much like an endless waltz: The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
However history will change with my coronation - Mariemaia Khushrenada
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 15:40
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
the other option is to ring VM and ask you number to be withheld, all operators do it and mine has been for as long as I can remember. It stops your phone number from going into the phone book and all the public phone directories. The only people who know your number are the people who you give it to.
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 15:42
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Make sure you ask for the right thing. 'Withheld' blocks your number being sent when you call out, so can cause you being caught in other people's call blocking systems.
You'll need to ask for 'Ex-Directory' to be removed from the phone book and the 118 services
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 16:34
|
#10
|
|
Perfect Soldier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthing West Sussex
Age: 69
Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy
in modem mode
XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
Posts: 11,316
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
My VM number is ex-directory and rarely gets cold calls. It's a BT line that was in the property when I moved in.
__________________
History is much like an endless waltz: The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
However history will change with my coronation - Mariemaia Khushrenada
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 17:44
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Hah. Those numpties work off really outdated lists. We've had this phone number since 2009 and still spammers call looking for the business that previously owned it.
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 18:02
|
#12
|
|
Perfect Soldier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthing West Sussex
Age: 69
Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy
in modem mode
XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
Posts: 11,316
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
In the early days they used to ask for Mrs XYZ. Since she was dead I used to say " I'm sorry she's dead" Silence LOL.
__________________
History is much like an endless waltz: The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
However history will change with my coronation - Mariemaia Khushrenada
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 18:21
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
the other option is to ring VM and ask you number to be withheld, all operators do it and mine has been for as long as I can remember. It stops your phone number from going into the phone book and all the public phone directories. The only people who know your number are the people who you give it to.
|
Doesn't stop other people or organisations selling your details on to these painful people...
---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy
In the early days they used to ask for Mrs XYZ. Since she was dead I used to say " I'm sorry she's dead" Silence LOL.
|
Didn't stop them wanting to sell my dead dad life insurance 
Oh deary...
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 18:53
|
#14
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
Make sure you ask for the right thing. 'Withheld' blocks your number being sent when you call out, so can cause you being caught in other people's call blocking systems.
You'll need to ask for 'Ex-Directory' to be removed from the phone book and the 118 services 
|
my bad, I have got both and failed to distinguish between them
|
|
|
07-10-2015, 19:27
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 157
|
Re: Virgin trying to con package upgrade?
My Virgin is ex directory and I still get cold calls about pa to it. Considering I never use the number any where else as it's my backup line virgin have leaked my details.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 21:45.
|