Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | IMAP server

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

IMAP server
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2015, 07:44   #1
HRDTRiumph
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
HRDTRiumph is an unknown quantity at this point
IMAP server

Well my Thunderbird application has been excellent but this morning I discovered that Virgin had migrated to a new email platform. So frustrating that it will no longer recognise my password etc for imap. If I was running a business they could not have picked a worse time to change...... phone calls to get it sorted on a Monday morning....... no hope!! grrhhhh! All they tell you is to reboot the modem.
HRDTRiumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2015, 08:16   #2
Rexz
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Posts: 125
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: IMAP server

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDTRiumph View Post
Well my Thunderbird application has been excellent but this morning I discovered that Virgin had migrated to a new email platform. So frustrating that it will no longer recognise my password etc for imap. If I was running a business they could not have picked a worse time to change...... phone calls to get it sorted on a Monday morning....... no hope!! grrhhhh! All they tell you is to reboot the modem.
When they were using google for their mail I had to change my password via my.virginmedia.com before the password was reset on the google platform. Maybe you could try this?
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:28   #3
HRDTRiumph
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
HRDTRiumph is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IMAP server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
When they were using google for their mail I had to change my password via my.virginmedia.com before the password was reset on the google platform. Maybe you could try this?
Done all that.

Surprise surprise I got through to a very helful person at Virgin. An hour later they agreed that it is a Virgin problem from the distant past.... they will take another 5 days to fix. I still use my ntl address whilst the system only recognises Virgin Media addresses which I did not know I had. Oh well at least I can use their web mail service untill they sort my imap/smtp access.
HRDTRiumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 08:57   #4
Rexz
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 38
Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Posts: 125
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: IMAP server

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDTRiumph View Post
Done all that.

Surprise surprise I got through to a very helful person at Virgin. An hour later they agreed that it is a Virgin problem from the distant past.... they will take another 5 days to fix. I still use my ntl address whilst the system only recognises Virgin Media addresses which I did not know I had. Oh well at least I can use their web mail service untill they sort my imap/smtp access.
Good. I'm still on blueyonder from the telewest days! I bet the likes of us really annoy VM as they have to look after us when they wish we would change to a virginmedia email address.
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 09:44   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier
 
heero_yuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthing West Sussex
Age: 69
Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
Posts: 11,316
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: IMAP server

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
Good. I'm still on blueyonder from the telewest days! I bet the likes of us really annoy VM as they have to look after us when they wish we would change to a virginmedia email address.
I still have a couple of ntlworld.com addys and a virgin.net one (old dial up) that is keyed to any number of logins. Don't fancy changing all of them.

Slightly OT but how do VM decide an addy that is not linked to a BB account is no longer in use?

My virgin.net one carries a lot of traffic from this and other forums.
__________________
History is much like an endless waltz: The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
However history will change with my coronation - Mariemaia Khushrenada
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:38   #6
InsaneNutter
cf.addict
 
InsaneNutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: UK
Posts: 103
InsaneNutter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IMAP server

I think using any sort of ISP provided email address is a no go these days. If you no longer use that ISP then you have no idea how long that email address will function for. If you ever lost access to the email account you could well loose access to many things associated with that email account too.

Personally I think its worth a bit of time / pain to gradually move things away from an ISP provided email address. Ideally to your own domain given the cost of them is so cheap these days. You are then in totally control of one of your most important online identities, and can switch your email provider, keeping the same email address.

Even if you don't like the idea of using your own domain for email, i'd argue an email address with Outlook.com our Gmail is a much wiser choice in this day and age.

Sure our old @ntlworld.com email addresses were good in the late 90s / early 2000's when webmail services like hotmail gave you a 1-2mb inbox and your ISP would let you send 7mb attachments. However 15 years later things have moved on and I personally think people should have a much greater control over their online identity.
__________________
InsaneNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 12:55   #7
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier
 
heero_yuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthing West Sussex
Age: 69
Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
Posts: 11,316
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: IMAP server

Wise words. Guess I need to bite that bullet sooner rather than later.
__________________
History is much like an endless waltz: The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
However history will change with my coronation - Mariemaia Khushrenada
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 18:42   #8
HRDTRiumph
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 37
HRDTRiumph is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: IMAP server

I certainly have to agree with Insane nutter but over a thousand people correspond with me on my ntl domain. I do have a gmail account as reserve.Very regrettfully I dithered in 1996 about getting my own domain.

By the way I am having problems with the new virgin media web mail..... I have to keep moving the blue tab to get all the message displayed. Also getting lots of spam now which used to be trapped.
HRDTRiumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 07:25   #9
japitts
cf.geek
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Services: V6 with Maxit, Sky Sports HD, TNT Sports, Sky Cinema. 250Mb broadband, Talk Anytime.
Posts: 645
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of
Re: IMAP server

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRDTRiumph View Post
I certainly have to agree with Insane nutter but over a thousand people correspond with me on my ntl domain. I do have a gmail account as reserve.Very regrettfully I dithered in 1996 about getting my own domain.

By the way I am having problems with the new virgin media web mail..... I have to keep moving the blue tab to get all the message displayed. Also getting lots of spam now which used to be trapped.
Is there any option with ntlworld email to have an autoresponder running on all incoming mail for a period of time? I suspect I know the answer already but I'll ask anyway...
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 15:03.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum