Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Power Levels?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Power Levels?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 19-09-2015, 20:26   #1
chambohambo
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Preston, Lancashire
Posts: 260
chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Levels?

Hi,

How do my power levels look on my superhub 2? I have a strange issue were all 8x downstreams can be around 0 and my 2x upstreams around 48-49 which is normal, as you can see from below the downstreams are around -3 and the upstreams are around 54, can someone explain to me what causes the upstream and downstream to change like that, I have checked all the connections myself and they are firmly tight.

Tivo power level for upstream is also 54, just checked now 21:45 and it dropped to 52 and now 21:51 it has gone to 57, superhub 2 is still at 54 at this moment.

Update 22:13

Tivo power level for upstream is now 48, superhub 2 is 52.75 and 53.50.

Thanks for looking at my post.


Downstream
DS-1 DS-2 DS-3 DS-4 DS-5 DS-6 DS-7 DS-8
Frequency (Hz) 275000000 251000000 259000000 267000000 283000000 291000000 299000000 307000000
Lock Status(QAM Lock/FEC Sync/MPEG Lock) Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked Locked
Channel ID 4 1 2 3 5 6 7 8
Modulation 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM 256QAM
Symbol Rate (Msym/sec) 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000 6.952000
Interleave Depth I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17 I=12
J=17
Power Level (dBmV) -2.81 -3.56 -3.00 -2.75 -2.86 -3.09 -2.99 -3.05
RxMER (dB) 37.94 37.09 37.36 37.64 37.94 37.94 38.26 38.26
Pre RS Errors 1502 1648 1409 1157 1048 946 1025 976
Post RS Errors 1046 1035 991 826 694 691 772 747


Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A 2.0
Channel ID 34 N/A N/A 33
Frequency (Hz) 35800000 N/A N/A 45800000
Ranging Status Success Other Other Success
Modulation 64QAM N/A N/A 64QAM
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec) 5120000 N/A N/A 5120000
Mini-Slot Size 4 N/A N/A 4
Power Level (dBmV) 54.00 N/A N/A 54.00
T1 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T2 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T3 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
T4 Timeouts 0 0 0 0
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-09-2015, 07:39   #2
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Power Levels?

the weather for started. I wouldn't worry about your downstream atm, mine are all -2 to -4 and my connection is fine. That being said, my upstream channels are 45 and 54 is defo too high for you. Out it out of spec on qam16 and defo for qam64. I wouldn't worry about your TiVo too much, from what I have seen in the past tivos have always had a higher upstream and seem to be more tolerant. You can leave as it is atm but if you start seeing problems I would make a phone call because it can be easily fixed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 08:21   #3
chambohambo
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Preston, Lancashire
Posts: 260
chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Power Levels?

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post General Maximus.

What would need to be done to fix this high upstream, I had a problem like this last year the engineer moved me up a tap I was on the 29 tap point then got moved up to 22 tap point.

This morning the superhub 2 power levels for the 8x downstreams -2.90 -3.46 -2.91 -2.65 -2.84 -2.99 -2.93 -3.05 and for the 2x upstreams 51.75 and 53.00, and the tivo upstream is 48.

I have also noticed in the past couple of years in my area some green cabinets have had extensions attached them, what are they?
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2015, 16:07   #4
Sephiroth
Wisdom & truth
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: RG41: 1Gig VOLT Rutland: Gigaclear 400/400
Posts: 13,205
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Power Levels?

The 22 tap point would lower upstream power from what it was on 29dB.

Anyway, with high upstream power when the downstream is normally low indicates a difficulty being read properly by the CMTS. I'd assume nothing wrong with your modem; there may be something noisy or breaking down in the local cabinet but I doubt it. There may be noise on the optical node (tired lasers or summat). You are at 64QAM so there's less tolerance for noise. Could be noise ingress. Could be anything.

Igni usually knows the likely causes of high upstream power.
__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2015, 17:51   #5
chambohambo
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Preston, Lancashire
Posts: 260
chambohambo is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Power Levels?

Hi,

Thanks for replying to my post Sephiroth. I will wait and see if Ignitionnet responds to my post.
chambohambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 22:00.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum