Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Speeding up my galaxy S5

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology

Speeding up my galaxy S5
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2015, 07:44   #1
MadGamer
Inactive
 
MadGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Speeding up my galaxy S5

hey everyone,

My S5 is sluggish and lags . Any tips on speeding it up? I'll even consider rooting it if I have to

Thank you
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2015, 10:14   #2
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

I'd give up if I were you. I gave up on mine and went back to an iPhone 5 which worked much faster. The S5 is an odd one, a very high spec phone that still has the traditional Samsung lag.

I tried all the usual 'tricks' such as using a different launcher but they made no difference.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:09   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
hey everyone,

My S5 is sluggish and lags . Any tips on speeding it up? I'll even consider rooting it if I have to

Thank you
Reset it? I use a custom ROM (Phoenix ROM) which is pretty fast out of the box. There are plenty of custom firmwares for it (one of the big advantages of Samsung phones), some are much faster and specifically optimized for speed, though I picked mine because I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'd give up if I were you. I gave up on mine and went back to an iPhone 5 which worked much faster. The S5 is an odd one, a very high spec phone that still has the traditional Samsung lag.

I tried all the usual 'tricks' such as using a different launcher but they made no difference.
I like mine. Sure, it's slower than the S6 but that's only noticeable once or twice a day. I've never experienced this "traditional Samsung lag" you speak of, and I've had every Samsung flagship from the S1 to the S6.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:37   #4
MadGamer
Inactive
 
MadGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Reset it? I use a custom ROM (Phoenix ROM) which is pretty fast out of the box. There are plenty of custom firmwares for it (one of the big advantages of Samsung phones), some are much faster and specifically optimized for speed, though I picked mine because I wanted to stay as close to stock as possible.

---------- Post added at 12:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------



I like mine. Sure, it's slower than the S6 but that's only noticeable once or twice a day. I've never experienced this "traditional Samsung lag" you speak of, and I've had every Samsung flagship from the S1 to the S6.
Is rooting the phone a safe thing to do? I'm on a Mac by the way, so any software I'd would need, would need to be Mac compatible
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:11   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
I like mine. Sure, it's slower than the S6 but that's only noticeable once or twice a day. I've never experienced this "traditional Samsung lag" you speak of, and I've had every Samsung flagship from the S1 to the S6.
Just like the S3 and S4 I stupidly tried before, the S5 lags a lot. I believed someone on here who told me the S3 was better than my then-current 4S so I tried that. When I had my iPhone 5 I again believed that it would be a better performing phone but that lagged and stuttered too so I went back to a 5.

I couldn't believe it when my S5 was going the same way. I've gone back to my 5 and won't ever touch a Samsung phone again. Seems like MadGamer is also experiencing the traditional Samsung lag too.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 13:15   #6
alanbjames
R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Swansea, South Wales UK.
Age: 75
Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
Posts: 2,753
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Disable the bloatware. I did this and mine runs like a dream.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 14:04   #7
MadGamer
Inactive
 
MadGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Disable the bloatware. I did this and mine runs like a dream.
How did you do it?
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 20:08   #8
Stephen
Smeghead
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Try a factory reset, that will help in most cases and make sure you have the most up to date software.

Sometimes it can be caused by an app you have installed, eg memory manager or antivirus.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 20:36   #9
alanbjames
R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Swansea, South Wales UK.
Age: 75
Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
Posts: 2,753
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Wink Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
How did you do it?
Search Google or watch YouTube video for disabling bloatware on android devices.

I have done it on my Galaxy S5 and Galaxy TAB PRO.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:05   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Is rooting the phone a safe thing to do? I'm on a Mac by the way, so any software I'd would need, would need to be Mac compatible
Rooting is safe. Samsung phones are extremely robust, as in it's pretty much impossible to brick them thanks to the low-level recovery system. Dunno about software compatibility though, I only know of Windows software - perhaps a Virtualbox might help?

In any case, the speed-optimized firmware usually comes pre-rooted already.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Just like the S3 and S4 I stupidly tried before, the S5 lags a lot. I believed someone on here who told me the S3 was better than my then-current 4S so I tried that. When I had my iPhone 5 I again believed that it would be a better performing phone but that lagged and stuttered too so I went back to a 5.

I couldn't believe it when my S5 was going the same way. I've gone back to my 5 and won't ever touch a Samsung phone again. Seems like MadGamer is also experiencing the traditional Samsung lag too.
My S3 didn't lag, my S4 didn't lag, and my S5 doesn't lag. I'd be curious exactly what you mean by "traditional Samsung lag" since I can't find any source for it beside your own personal experience.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 17:24   #11
MadGamer
Inactive
 
MadGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Well i have done a factory reset, ill keep an eye on it, and see how it runs
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 18:57   #12
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post

My S3 didn't lag, my S4 didn't lag, and my S5 doesn't lag. I'd be curious exactly what you mean by "traditional Samsung lag" since I can't find any source for it beside your own personal experience.
If Samsung is all you're used to then the lag is likely to be what you'd call normal. Try any iPhone from the 4S onwards and you'll see the difference.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 19:22   #13
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

I've just got a Samsung Galaxy 6 and I detect no lag compared to my old HTC One..In fact it's fabulously fast,it's instantaneous ..I love it..

No, if you want lag you want to try my Nexus 7 tablet..it's practically a brick after the Lollipop update.It currently takes about 5 minutes to open any app and to sign into WiFi..I can't wait to get something else..
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 20:01   #14
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

very limited what can do without rooting it.

generally we talking uninstalling unneeded apps, better kernel, possibly adjusting cpu governor, io governor, blocking certian functions and then should be faster.

Although in my view the s5 is a pretty fast phone anyway, I have the 5+ model (g901f) and it is lightning fast.

Also I suggest staying on kitkat, its much more responsive than lollipop. Seems to be a rule of thumb that the best version of rom to use (on samsung) is the version shipped with the phone.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:35   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Speeding up my galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
If Samsung is all you're used to then the lag is likely to be what you'd call normal. Try any iPhone from the 4S onwards and you'll see the difference.
I have been working with iPhones since the day they came out, and HTCs, Blackberries, Windows phones and tablets for nearly fifteen years. The only thing I'd call normal is Apple owners considering their devices superior and failing to come up with any empirical evidence to support it when challenged.

Right now I still don't see any source backing up your claims. You haven't even been able to describe this mythical "Samsung lag" is other than "iPhones don't have it". There's three different people in this thread saying their Samsung phones don't lag, and there's you claiming they all have some traditional lag and implying everyone else is ignorant of it. Hmm.

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I have the 5+ model (g901f) and it is lightning fast.
God dammit I want one of those. Where did you get it?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:33.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum