Is this Router any good to use with superhub???
02-09-2015, 10:20
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrington
Posts: 4,737
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
It's a good device (I own one), though be aware that by today's standards Wireless-N is a little long in the tooth and you may be better off buying an AC device to be future proof.
The built-in VPN is to VPN to your home connection from the outside, not to give you anonymity when browsing the web.
|
|
|
02-09-2015, 14:58
|
#3
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,918
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
as above you may as well go for an AC device if you're going to fork out that much for a router.
|
|
|
02-09-2015, 16:27
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
|
|
|
02-09-2015, 23:13
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 147
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
I have the tp-link archer c7 1750 ac router with openWRT firmware and it's rock solid. Easily maxes out 152Mb all over my house.
Paid about 50 notes for it about 6 months ago.
|
|
|
04-09-2015, 08:21
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 30
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
Thanks guys ive purchased the Asus that the General linked, looks to be a much better buy.
Hope it turns out to be worth the money, first time ive ever purchased my own router.
|
|
|
04-09-2015, 11:13
|
#7
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,918
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
|
|
|
04-09-2015, 13:21
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
Thanks guys ive purchased the Asus that the General linked, looks to be a much better buy.
Hope it turns out to be worth the money, first time ive ever purchased my own router. 
|
You have absolutely done the right thing and you'll be a million times better off for it. One of the first things you need to do is change your dns settings. Leaving them empty as default will mean you use VM's dns servers. If you put your own addresses in then you will use them instead and have a far better internet experience because of it. My primary and secondary are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are google's. I have got open dns set as tertiary but i cant remember what the address is off the top of my head, i'll post it when i get home.
|
|
|
04-09-2015, 17:47
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 26
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
You have absolutely done the right thing and you'll be a million times better off for it. One of the first things you need to do is change your dns settings. Leaving them empty as default will mean you use VM's dns servers. If you put your own addresses in then you will use them instead and have a far better internet experience because of it. My primary and secondary are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are google's. I have got open dns set as tertiary but i cant remember what the address is off the top of my head, i'll post it when i get home.
|
https://use.opendns.com/
Is there no option to change DNS in the router?
|
|
|
04-09-2015, 18:03
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
ya, that is what I was talking about
|
|
|
05-09-2015, 10:13
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 30
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
You have absolutely done the right thing and you'll be a million times better off for it. One of the first things you need to do is change your dns settings. Leaving them empty as default will mean you use VM's dns servers. If you put your own addresses in then you will use them instead and have a far better internet experience because of it. My primary and secondary are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 which are google's. I have got open dns set as tertiary but i cant remember what the address is off the top of my head, i'll post it when i get home.
|
Thanks mate, which is the best one to use OpenDNS or Google and do i need to change the DNS settings on my superhub as well?
Also will i need to change any other settings to make the new router secure?
|
|
|
05-09-2015, 17:22
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
Tbh both of them have an extremely high level of availability. I know there are a couple of users on this forum who swear by opendns but I can remember seeing at least 2 issues with opendns over the last couple of years whereas I have never had any probs/down time with google's dns servers. I personally use google's as primary and secondary and then opendns as 3rd if all else fails. You'll only ever default to your secondary if the primary can't be reached and same for the tertiary. I know some people like to use a mix of both and have google first, opendns second and then the second google (8.8.4.4) third. I honestly don't think it will make any difference at all and if google do ever do anything to screw their dns register up which we don't like it then it is a two second job to go into your router config, remove the ip addresses and replace them with opendns.
1) Changing your dns settings is the first thing I would do when setting up my router (make sure your shub is in modem mode) and you will not believe how much aggravation it will save you in the future. You casually come on the forum in a couple of months and see a torrent of posts about people not being able to get on the internet or certain websites and you'll be wondering what they are going on about because everything is fine for you. You'll then realise VM's dns servers have gone down and sit there with a smirk on your face because you aren't using them.
2) The next thing is to change passwords. The router will have a default password which you will use to log in to the gui and you will want to change that so that in the event anyone in your house tries to log in, they can't. Same goes for if you have a wireless breach. You then want to change the wireless settings and set a wireless password and use whatever the strongest method of encryption is available like AES256. You also want to set the wireless ssid which is the name for your network and the frequencies of the channels etc.
3) Optional settings would be configuring the addressing scheme you want to use on your network. The default will probably be 192.168.1.100/24 but you can change it to whatever you want like 18.19.1.100/26. There will no doubt be options for qos settings and port forwarding etc. I would spend some time and have a good look at all the settings and options and see what works for you. If in doubt, give it ago and see what different it makes and if you don't like it you can always go back and turn it off.
|
|
|
07-09-2015, 11:45
|
#13
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
I have never had any probs/down time with google's dns servers
|
http://gizmodo.com/why-your-internet...d-h-1149838064
|
|
|
07-09-2015, 12:11
|
#14
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 449
|
Re: I this Router any good to use with superhub???
I've never had any problems with OpenDNS and I like the filtering options for the family.
|
|
|
07-09-2015, 13:21
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Warrington
Posts: 4,737
|
Re: Is this Router any good to use with superhub???
I use both OpenDNS and Google DNS (primary/secondary). I haven't had DNS issues in years.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:26.
|