04-09-2014, 07:29
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Annoying Android adverts
For the last few days when I check my phone (Android 4.2) I often find a full screen advert has appeared on my home screen which I have close before I can do anything else. If I then check recent apps used via the home screen button, Google Firewall (which I never remember installing) shows up as the most recent so I'm wondering if this might be the cause as the adverts do seem to be linked to Google. I haven't downloaded anything new for ages so I'm assuming that if this isn't the case, one of my other apps has updated and this has brought with it these annoying adverts. Is there any easy way I can find out where they're originating from and either delete the source app or just stop the adverts appearing?
TIA as always.
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 08:44
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Never heard of Google Firewall.
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 08:56
|
#3
|
|
CF Resident Dog
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,200
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem
For the last few days when I check my phone (Android 4.2) I often find a full screen advert has appeared on my home screen which I have close before I can do anything else. If I then check recent apps used via the home screen button, Google Firewall (which I never remember installing) shows up as the most recent so I'm wondering if this might be the cause as the adverts do seem to be linked to Google. I haven't downloaded anything new for ages so I'm assuming that if this isn't the case, one of my other apps has updated and this has brought with it these annoying adverts. Is there any easy way I can find out where they're originating from and either delete the source app or just stop the adverts appearing?
TIA as always.
|
Uninstall it and find out, it will be coming from an app for sure.
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 13:07
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
No such thing as Google Firewall. Sounds like spyware/adware.
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 17:38
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 2,509
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 17:49
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Thanks guys.
Right, the app is called Gfirewall and there's another called GSearch both of which are using the Google 'G' symbol to make them look like they're official Google apps.
I have no idea where they came from but I did a search and found other people have this problem and these apps reinstall themselves when deleted. Anyone know how I can remove them permanently please?
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 18:04
|
#7
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,924
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
I found this on the Phandroid forum. No other feed back whether it works but it could be worth a try.
Quote:
I quarantined gfirewall and gsearch but something else was reinstalling them.
I noticed an app called "Play Store" which was made to look like Google but its package is called com.uucun4470.android.cms. I quarantined this and guess what... no more full page ads and gsearch and gfirewall have not reinstalled themselves.
|
http://androidforums.com/android-app...gfirewall.html
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 18:24
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Thanks Jo I just found PlayStore (which also looked like the official Google app) and have stopped it. There was no option to uninstall it. I didn't install any of these things so can't think why this has just started happening. I've had the phone for quite a few months with no such issues before.
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 19:09
|
#9
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
I use AirPush Detector
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en
tell you which programs are dodge and lets you delete them
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
04-09-2014, 19:34
|
#10
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,924
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r
|
That sounds like a good app for anyone operating on anything below 4.1 Hom3r. I wonder what it will pick up on Osem's Android 4.2? I'd be interested to find out.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
06-09-2014, 18:14
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Thanks Homer. OK after a couple of days the adverts have just reappeared. Even though the suspect version of 'playstore' remains disabled, GSearch and GFirewall reappeared. I'd just uninstalled them again when I found the Airpush suggestion so have downloaded that anyway and run a scan. It reported nothing presumably because the 2 apps have gone for now. I'll wait until they reappear then try again and see what the result is and let you know.
|
|
|
06-09-2014, 18:30
|
#12
|
|
CF Resident Dog
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,200
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Do a hard reset to wipe the phone.
|
|
|
06-09-2014, 19:57
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ
Do a hard reset to wipe the phone.
|
Yikes that sounds a bit drastic. I guess that'd be my last resort however.
|
|
|
06-09-2014, 20:13
|
#14
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
You could try and read the reviews on apps you installed over at google play, people there with say if any proved dodgy.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
06-09-2014, 20:29
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Annoying Android adverts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r
You could try and read the reviews on apps you installed over at google play, people there with say if any proved dodgy.
|
Things is I haven't downloaded any for quite a long time and these ads just started appearing less than a week ago. There are loads of apps I don't recognise on my phone so is there any way I can see when apps were actually downloaded?
There's a reference to a process 'com.zgs.gg.pack' in what little I have found about these apps but that means nothing to me.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:39.
|