500GB to 1TB upgrade question
30-08-2013, 21:41
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Preston
Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
Posts: 1,947
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaseman
I used to record everything in HD. I now only use SD as I don't think the difference is worth the storage space as the box upscales quite well anyhow.
|
What  seriously
|
|
|
30-08-2013, 23:31
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 641
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaseman
I used to record everything in HD. I now only use SD as I don't think the difference is worth the storage space as the box upscales quite well anyhow.
|
Are you... Erm... Are you okay?
|
|
|
30-08-2013, 23:57
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Preston
Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
Posts: 1,947
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocav
Are you... Erm... Are you okay?
|
Think he needs to nip to a opticians
|
|
|
31-08-2013, 19:50
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Notts
Services: BB & PHONE
Posts: 1,141
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Seriously?? The SD picture on my TV is god awful.
|
|
|
31-08-2013, 19:52
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Preston
Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
Posts: 1,947
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73
Seriously?? The SD picture on my TV is god awful.
|
Don't do sd at all,like going from bluray to VHS
|
|
|
31-08-2013, 20:24
|
#21
|
|
Guest
Location: Luton
Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Posts: n/a
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
With the problems recently I have had with my TiVo hard drive, I would not store up any level of my favourite shows for a rainy day! I hope that not in the to distant future with mpeg4 compression the file sizes of HD recordings will no longer be a talking point on VM platform!
|
|
|
|
01-09-2013, 11:39
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73
Seriously?? The SD picture on my TV is god awful.
|
Maybe you need a better TV then? 
Obviously SD is not as good as HD but if SD is as awful as you say on your TV, then something is wrong.
|
|
|
01-09-2013, 11:55
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Even on top of the range sets, if your eyes are good some channels can look shocking, not everybody sees the same amount of colours, shades and gradiations.
|
|
|
01-09-2013, 12:09
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac
Even on top of the range sets, if your eyes are good some channels can look shocking, not everybody sees the same amount of colours, shades and gradiations.
|
I agree , when I was with VM Universal picture quality was awful from my Samsung V+ box no amount of changing the settings could change that.
|
|
|
01-09-2013, 13:22
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Preston
Services: VIP.152b/b,2xTivos,Vm mobile+ipad 4th gen,BT Sports.sky2tbHD,sky3d+ extra+Sports+Movies HD(Murdoch's
Posts: 1,947
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
I agree , when I was with VM Universal picture quality was awful from my Samsung V+ box no amount of changing the settings could change that.
|
Still is that's the channels I'm looking forward to l8r........universal hd rookie blue tonight me thinks.
Not arrived yet hopefully be another 45min then I see 2nd half,could be a lot to do with the vm vans blocking me cul de sac
|
|
|
01-09-2013, 14:32
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac
Even on top of the range sets, if your eyes are good some channels can look shocking, not everybody sees the same amount of colours, shades and gradiations.
|
Not disputing that HD is much better, but to say SD is really 'awful', 'shocking' or equivalent to VHS is ridiculous IMHO and doesn't look that way on my TV.
|
|
|
01-09-2013, 18:25
|
#27
|
|
Rise above the players
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wokingham
Services: 2 V6 with 360, ITVX, 4+, Prime, Netflix, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount+, Discovery+, HBO Max
Posts: 15,514
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes
IMO 500GB is for the people that are as bothered about recording e.g. OAPs, sinlge people that stay at home etc
|
No, Mr Stokes, the 1TB box is for those who use their TIVOs correctly.
I am not one for watching a lot of TV, but when I do watch it, I want to watch something that I like.
Some people are lazy and just watch what is on the channel that is displayed, advertisements and all. Others don't want to stick with a channel on which there is not a programme they want to watch, so they 'channel hop', which is a very inefficient way of finding a programme. Most of the time the programme you land on that you like has been broadcasting already for some time and so you miss most of it, as well as having to endure endless adverts.
Surely, a sensible approach is to record everything you want to watch at the beginning of the week and just pick out the programmes from your recordings that you want to watch. That way, you always have stuff on there that you want to see (because you chose it) and you can fast forward through the ads. One hour programmes on the likes of Sky 1 can be viewed in 45 minutes in this way, so you can cram in more quality viewing.
It's really nothing to do with having time on your hands and watching TV all day. It's about ensuring that when you do sit down in front of the box, you are not bored out of your skull.
A 2TB box would be better, as well as more tuners!
---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:23 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
Not disputing that HD is much better, but to say SD is really 'awful', 'shocking' or equivalent to VHS is ridiculous IMHO and doesn't look that way on my TV.
|
Agreed, I am happy with the way the TIVO upscales the picture. Still prefer to watch in HD, however!
|
|
|
01-09-2013, 20:20
|
#28
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: 500GB to 1TB upgrade question
Corrected the Hard Drive size info on the title.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
02-09-2013, 13:09
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: between Mars and Venus
Age: 47
Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
Posts: 3,912
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks
Still is that's the channels I'm looking forward to l8r........universal hd rookie blue tonight me thinks.
Not arrived yet hopefully be another 45min then I see 2nd half,could be a lot to do with the vm vans blocking me cul de sac 
|
I've sent the squirrels around to nick your dish
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:37.
|