Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | More Waste Of Money

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

More Waste Of Money
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2013, 15:57   #31
Stuart
-
 
Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You and I obviously have a different understanding of the word "their intended effect".

The effect they are having according to this thread seems to be ****ing off existing customers and other people who cannot even get cable service.

To be honest though the same could be said of any spam email or even phishing scams. They "work", seemingly according to your definition. Doesn't make them particularly popular or acceptable either.
OK.. Looking at it logically for a second. Businesses wish to make money while minimising cost. As such, any process that costs a business money without contributing to the profits (or at least minimising losses) is likely to be stopped.

Bearing that in mind, from a business point of view, Mailshots must make them a profit as it's unlikely so many businesses would still be using them as a marketing tool.

That doesn't mean they aren't an irritation for the consumer though.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-08-2013, 16:07   #32
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.
 
dilli-theclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: More Waste Of Money

I'd like to point out it doesn't really bother all that much I only mentioned it because I get it.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 17:11   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
OK.. Looking at it logically for a second. Businesses wish to make money while minimising cost. As such, any process that costs a business money without contributing to the profits (or at least minimising losses) is likely to be stopped.
You and I obviously have a different understanding of the word "contributing"

And lets not forget plenty of business do stupid things that don't get stopped because stupid people are in charge of them.

Quote:
Bearing that in mind, from a business point of view, Mailshots must make them a profit as it's unlikely so many businesses would still be using them as a marketing tool.
"If they're doing it, it must make them a profit" is a pretty niaive way to think of things these days, when a lot of businesses are finding money is not the only thing they need to be making.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 22:11   #34
Pierre
cf.mega poster
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: More Waste Of Money

What's the big deal?

VM do it, BT do it, talk talk do it, sky do it.

Also pizza hut do it, dominos do it, insurance firms do it.

Loads of companies do it. If you don't want it, or the offers aren't applicable to you - bin them. Don't worry about it, move on with your life.

If junk mail is a big issue in your life, then you are truly blessed that you have no bigger problems to worry about.

I would rejoice if all I had to winge about was junk mail.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 22:26   #35
Ben B
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,931
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Re: More Waste Of Money

Could always put a 'No junk mail' sticker on your letter box
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 01:41   #36
WillPS
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2007
Services: VM XXL Broadband, XL TV with V+ and L Phone
Posts: 211
WillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about themWillPS has a spectacular aura about them
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Could always put a 'No junk mail' sticker on your letter box
Wont stop addressed mail.
WillPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 02:09   #37
alanbjames
R.I.P.
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Swansea, South Wales UK.
Age: 75
Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
Posts: 2,753
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I was always getting them. Handy coaster supply.
i was averaging 2 or 3 a month at one point lol

---------- Post added at 03:09 ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I constantly get mailshots from Sky/Talk Talk and BT. I just bin them, not really too much to get annoyed about. Just a waste of paper.
I get talk talk constantly sending me mail addressed to the occupier. The Guy who lived here before me died and left a hefty bill with talk talk and they sent around debt collectors about a year after i moved in for £350 and i had to get letters from housing association to prove i had taken over the tenancy.

I just now write on the envelope return to sender and post back when i go to post office.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 08:06   #38
Stuart
-
 
Stuart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You and I obviously have a different understanding of the word "contributing"
I doubt we do have a different idea of contributing..
Quote:
And lets not forget plenty of business do stupid things that don't get stopped because stupid people are in charge of them.
The fact is that a lot of companies use Mailshots. Not every company is run by stupid people.
Quote:
"If they're doing it, it must make them a profit" is a pretty niaive way to think of things these days, when a lot of businesses are finding money is not the only thing they need to be making.
You can nitpick all you want but the primary goal of the average business is to make money. Not everything they do will directly earn them money, but everything they do should (even if indirectly) contribute to that.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 08:20   #39
broadbandking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: At My Desk
Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
Posts: 3,009
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
Re: More Waste Of Money

I don't understand this, its a little bit of advertising why is everyone getting so annoyed, if you don't like it don't read it.
broadbandking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 06:10   #40
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Its not being wasted though. Mailshots do work.
I was getting them whilst a customer, how does that work?

Also shoving them down my face every week A4 sized isnt going to make me come back, its just going to make me angry.

I dont open these mailshots, its A4, I look for the VM logo and its in the trash.

---------- Post added at 07:10 ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
What's the big deal?

VM do it, BT do it, talk talk do it, sky do it.

Also pizza hut do it, dominos do it, insurance firms do it.

Loads of companies do it. If you don't want it, or the offers aren't applicable to you - bin them. Don't worry about it, move on with your life.

If junk mail is a big issue in your life, then you are truly blessed that you have no bigger problems to worry about.

I would rejoice if all I had to winge about was junk mail.
I cant remember the last time I got a mailshot of BT and sky. I get one of VM every single week (except a 3 week spell where I got no post at all).
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 09:17   #41
Pierre
cf.mega poster
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 13,331
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I cant remember the last time I got a mailshot of BT and sky. I get one of VM every single week (except a 3 week spell where I got no post at all).
Well that goes to show you that these mail shots are a bit more targeted than you think.

I don't live in a VM area, and I have never received a VM mail shot.

Whereas I get BT, Sky and Talk Talk all the time.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 09:53   #42
Another VM User
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 97
Another VM User is on a distinguished roadAnother VM User is on a distinguished road
Re: More Waste Of Money

There is also a Mailing Preference Service but that's not as funny or satisfying as what Sirius and Gary do

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
The only other ISP i know for doing this kind of thing used to be AOL UK. They were well known for sending out millions upon millions of free trial cds a month to random people.
This was the sort of thing that prompted me to get a CD shredder... I was a volunteer and used to get hundreds a month to pass on - usually with my phone bill cheque

I still use said CD shredder to destroy SSD's when they are dead.. oh and CD/DVD's obviously

VM seem to send out " to the occupier" all the time - I am waiting to see if I ever get mails from Sky after joining them. So far nothing.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I cant remember the last time I got a mailshot of BT
Oddly enough I got one this morning trying to flog me their amazing package with BT sports.

Of course I would need a TV and a TV licence first - no thanks!

Also I'm the same with the post.. It's nice to only get things you actually expect (apart from mailshot rubbish) - DCA letters for other people are quite funny too
Another VM User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 16:19   #43
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well that goes to show you that these mail shots are a bit more targeted than you think.

I don't live in a VM area, and I have never received a VM mail shot.

Whereas I get BT, Sky and Talk Talk all the time.
yeah they targeting certian areas I have no doubt. MY area has a higher turnover of residents than probably more affluent areas so I expect the frequency is related to that, the areas has very high VM takeup, so thats another frustration in that they are agressively seeking customers when the area has capacity issues.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2013, 00:55   #44
Gavin78
Ice Cold
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Services: XL TV M Phone 1000MB BB
Posts: 1,573
Gavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpackGavin78 has a very nice sixpack
Re: More Waste Of Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Could always put a 'No junk mail' sticker on your letter box
I bought one of those stickers does it work does it fk I even have a note up no cold callers or take away menu that doesn't work either.

I'm sure they see it as a challenge I even asked the postman not to post junk through my door but he said he has to to get revenue for the post office as they get paid for it.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 09:08   #45
richard s
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Near France
Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
Posts: 1,817
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one
Re: More Waste Of Money

Just put all the junk mail back into the post boxes - the post office will soon get fed up with it just like us householders who receive mail we did not ask for.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum