500GB to 1TB upgrade question
19-08-2013, 21:23
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Notts
Services: BB & PHONE
Posts: 1,141
|
500GB to 1TB upgrade question
I have just signed up for TV XL with a 500GB Tivo box. Already this box's capacity is woefully inadequate given the fact that I tend to record mostly HD programmes. Does anyone know how much extra it would cost to upgrade to a 1GB Tivo box?
Ta.
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 21:24
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
From what I see on their site, £49.95 activation fee and £49.95 installation.
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 21:35
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Notts
Services: BB & PHONE
Posts: 1,141
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Before anyone starts in on me as to what I could possibly need a bigger hard drive for, I am an avid Baseball fan and the live transmissions can easily last for 4 hours if you add an hours for overruns. Love my baseball, record everything I can.
---------- Post added at 22:29 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984
From what I see on their site, £49.95 activation fee and £49.95 installation.
|
OMG, would I have to pay ANOTHER near fifty quid to get a decent capacity box????? My VM bill this month is £130.00 with installation etc as it is!!! Why on Earth even BOTHER with 500GB in this Hi Def age?
---------- Post added at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------
This crappy tivo box seriously needs some sort of compression software. I have two baseball games and two cookery shows recorded in HD.....125 GB...Jesus.
|
|
|
19-08-2013, 22:19
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
I know, it sucks. As my box only ever gets near 80% capacity, I cannot justify a bigger capacity one. Although when this TiVo goes wrong, as every box I touch does at some point, I might ask if they can do a deal for a bigger one as replacement.
|
|
|
20-08-2013, 06:59
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
IMO 500GB is for the people that are as bothered about recording e.g. OAPs, sinlge people that stay at home etc
|
|
|
20-08-2013, 07:01
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73
This crappy tivo box seriously needs some sort of compression software. I have two baseball games and two cookery shows recorded in HD.....125 GB...Jesus.
|
Are you including the database in that? 9 hours of HD recordings should be about half that size. You can see the size of each recording by going into the recording details from MyShows, then pressing 'info'.
Incidentally the data already is compressed. Compressing any more would lose picture quality - you may as well record SD instead.
|
|
|
28-08-2013, 17:17
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Notts
Services: BB & PHONE
Posts: 1,141
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes
IMO 500GB is for the people that are as bothered about recording e.g. OAPs, sinlge people that stay at home etc
|
Sorry, I do not understand that at all.
|
|
|
28-08-2013, 17:57
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 641
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Are you including the database in that? 9 hours of HD recordings should be about half that size. You can see the size of each recording by going into the recording details from MyShows, then pressing 'info'.
Incidentally the data already is compressed. Compressing any more would lose picture quality - you may as well record SD instead.
|
Just on a random one, any reason why i get the following;
BBC One HD - 1hr 20min - 10.81GB
Sky1 HD - 1hr 5min - 3.65GB
Sky Movies Premiere HD - 2hr 5min - 12.16GB
How come the Sky1HD recording is so small? I understand its the bitrates etc but surely they should be near enough the same
I guess the Movie is also quite small considering there isnt much difference between it and the 1hr 20min BBC One recording?
---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73
Sorry, I do not understand that at all.
|
500Gb is designed for those who are less bothered about recording but get a Tivo
|
|
|
28-08-2013, 19:34
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 363
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Or maybe it's for people who don't agree with paying £49.95 for a box they'll never own?
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 07:34
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Staines upon Thames
Services: Sky Q 2TB & 1 Mini Box, Box Sets, Sky Broadband Max and Sky Talk Anytime
Posts: 93
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
I have 500 gb Tivo and have never had any capacity problems. Quite simply once the many programmes recorded individually and as series links have been watched by anyone who wants to,we delete them.
The only things kept are mainly childrens movies saved for my 5 year old grandaughter. Virtually everything recorded is HD and we have never been at more than 80% capacity.
I believe the 500gb is for "everyday people" who still mainly watch live TV and only record when necessary for programme clashes, out at work etc. Whereas the 1 TB is for people who fully utilize the Tivo and tend to record everthing so they can watch it at their leisure.
|
|
|
29-08-2013, 07:45
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hartlepool
Age: 38
Services: Sky+HD sports and movies HD, sky fibre pro, ps4 and xbox one.
Posts: 478
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Got all sorts on my TiVo including FLt20 finals day and that was all day in hd mine is at 80%.
|
|
|
30-08-2013, 00:45
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Telford
Age: 32
Services: 100Mb BB with SuperHub 2
Galaxy S 5 on EE
Posts: 1,034
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocav
Just on a random one, any reason why i get the following;
BBC One HD - 1hr 20min - 10.81GB
Sky1 HD - 1hr 5min - 3.65GB
Sky Movies Premiere HD - 2hr 5min - 12.16GB
How come the Sky1HD recording is so small? I understand its the bitrates etc but surely they should be near enough the same
I guess the Movie is also quite small considering there isnt much difference between it and the 1hr 20min BBC One recording?
---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:57 ----------
500Gb is designed for those who are less bothered about recording but get a Tivo
|
Probably different compression?
|
|
|
30-08-2013, 00:55
|
#13
|
|
Guest
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
digital audio?
|
|
|
|
30-08-2013, 17:11
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North West England
Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV,
Freesat HD.
Posts: 920
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
Yes the other 2 will have 5.1 audio probably and if they are full of movement and action as well this will make a difference too
|
|
|
30-08-2013, 19:29
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 98
|
Re: 500mb to 1gb upgrade question
I used to record everything in HD. I now only use SD as I don't think the difference is worth the storage space as the box upscales quite well anyhow.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:09.
|