13-12-2012, 20:42
|
#1
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,109
|
Virgin v Sky TV
I keep reading about people leaving Virgin and going to Sky, supposedly for their superior program content, i have the VIP 100 package with Virgin and think that the channels on offer more than meet my demands and that of my family, we would love to have Atlantic and all of the sports channels in HD, but apart from that i cannot see what else i would like that Sky have and Virgin don't! lets face it there are many many channels on both formats that probably no one ever watches very often, personally i'd dump all of those +1 channels, and quite a few others, and concentrate on more quality programming albeit with far less channels to view if thats possible.
So come on all you Sky people and people considering moving from Virgin, what is that much better on Sky than it is on Virgin?
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 20:57
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Probably outside the M25
Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Posts: 3,473
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
The TV side of a package is the least important to me so can't comment on the channels and content, except to say im happy with all the HD channels available.
Didn't have a Tivo before but my old VM tv box was a bit laggy when navigating the menu's. Find the Sky box smoother in that respect. I guess tivo has all the same remote recording via phone and all that kind of stuff too.
Once my phone is unrooted i'll be using the Sky Go live tv/on demand android app quite a bit. VM really need to get their android version out to customers.
Oh and I havn't heard a fan kick in on the Sky+HD box yet like the virgin one did. Minor niggle though.
Was worried about the 1080i on Sky compared to 1080p on VM but now it is installed there really doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference.
In general I couldn't say if VM or Sky TV is better.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 21:03
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Age: 45
Posts: 308
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
I keep reading about people leaving Virgin and going to Sky, supposedly for their superior program content, i have the VIP 100 package with Virgin and think that the channels on offer more than meet my demands and that of my family, we would love to have Atlantic and all of the sports channels in HD, but apart from that i cannot see what else i would like that Sky have and Virgin don't! lets face it there are many many channels on both formats that probably no one ever watches very often, personally i'd dump all of those +1 channels, and quite a few others, and concentrate on more quality programming albeit with far less channels to view if thats possible.
|
This is pretty much my view. Atlantic would be a great addition but we already have lots of content to view (currently have 3 series we are going to watch in the new year). All the channels we regularly record from are HD so we aren't missing out in that way. The main reasons I wouldn't leave VM are that I love the TiVo box and I feel I have enough content already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx
Was worried about the 1080i on Sky compared to 1080p on VM but now it is installed there really doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference.
|
VM is 1080i too ;-)
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 21:05
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
I moved for more channel variation, SKY's dedicated 3D channel plus their wide range of HD channels.
Another important factor is the oppertunity to access new channels from launch. 99% of the time when a new SD or HD channel launches in the UK, it's available on SKY from day 1. It can take Virgin years to get these new channels, or sometimes not at all.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 21:20
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Probably outside the M25
Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Posts: 3,473
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain
VM is 1080i too ;-)
|
Oh, could have sworn I saw in the settings menu of the tv box a 1080p setting.
Thought I would add that I only moved from vm to sky tv as I was moving my broadband due to packet loss/jitter problems and it made sense to move all my packages. One bill and cheaper. The extra speed and tv channels is just an extra bonus I didn't require.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 21:26
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Age: 45
Posts: 308
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx
Oh, could have sworn I saw in the settings menu of the tv box a 1080p setting.
|
I think that setting just de-interlaced which your TV would have done anyway. The source signal would be 1080i.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 21:34
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,109
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
|
I moved for more channel variation, SKY's dedicated 3D channel plus their wide range of HD channels
|
But thats what i'm saying mate, i can't see where people have the time to watch so much TV anyway, i certainly can't, and it's all very well saying " for more channel variation" there's loads of variation on Virgin also!
Plus the only HD channels that i really miss are the ones on Sky Sports 3 & 4, how many other HD channels do Sky have more than Virgin?
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 21:51
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
it's all very well saying " for more channel variation" there's loads of variation on Virgin also!
|
True, but for people who like US drama, Atlantic is definitely a desireable channel.
I don't know much about football, but I guess not having access to Atlantic is similar to not having access to watch your favourite team, and people say, "well, there are plenty of other teams you could watch instead"; that just doesn't cut it if you're a fan of a specific team.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 22:06
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,109
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
|
I don't know much about football, but I guess not having access to Atlantic is similar to not having access to watch your favourite team
|
I wouldn't go that far, but agree that Atlantic would be most welcome in our household, as for the other channels, well i'm not convinced that they would be good enough to make me switch to Sky.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 22:06
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2012
Services: VM BB 30MB, TV XL and Talk Unlimited. Sky TV, BB and Phone.
Posts: 17
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
I have both, and if I had to pick one it would be Virgin, mainly because they seem to have focused on keeping the quality, watchable channels and filtering out all the junk. That's me nit-picking though, once Sky bring out their TiVo killer they'll both be on a similar level.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 22:32
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max
But thats what i'm saying mate, i can't see where people have the time to watch so much TV anyway, i certainly can't, and it's all very well saying " for more channel variation" there's loads of variation on Virgin also!
Plus the only HD channels that i really miss are the ones on Sky Sports 3 & 4, how many other HD channels do Sky have more than Virgin?
|
I suppose it comes down to how many people live in your household, their age group and what they enjoy watching. I don't have hours and hours to spare to watch TV continually myself but throw in a wife and a couple of kids and the TV in the living room is almost never off!
For me personally I value 3D and HD TV. Virgin currently have 37 HD channels. SKY currently have 65 with Film4 HD and More 4 HD launching in the next few months.
Every channel that is on Virgin can be found on SKY. SKY offer around 200 more channels than Virgin. I agree quantity doesn't beat quality however variety is the spice of life, especially when your trying to cater for 3 or 4 peoples preferences and tastes living under your roof.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 22:36
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Probably outside the M25
Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Posts: 3,473
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
For me personally I value 3D and HD TV. Virgin currently have 37 HD channels. SKY currently have 65 with Film4 HD and More 4 HD launching in the next few months.
|
Think you will find your LG tv does a very good job at making up the 3D look with 2D > 3D conversation. Have watched a few things that way and well impressed.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 22:42
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx
Think you will find your LG tv does a very good job at making up the 3D look with 2D > 3D conversation. Have watched a few things that way and well impressed.
|
The in laws have bought me a 3D Blu-Ray for my Christmas with the Avengers 3D and the original Star Wars trilogy in Blu-Ray format. I'm really looking forward to trying Empire Strikes Back converted to 3D, especially the opening scenes on Hoth.
|
|
|
13-12-2012, 22:42
|
#14
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 74
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,378
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
Well most of my viewing on VM is on FX(soon to be Fox) Watch and Alibi as well as Channel 5.I also watch some Discovery ,History as well. However I rarely watch any of the sky channels these days.
So to be honest I don't think I would see much point in moving to Sky TV.
When I first went digital back in the late 80s I did have Sky Movies and Sports but we found that he wasn't home enough to watch the sports and I got bored of the films because we only got 2 new films a month which were then part of the package for ever..with the result that eventually I had seen every film more than twice.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
14-12-2012, 04:53
|
#15
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Virgin v Sky TV
I do get the fact that a lot of people would like Atlantic, but that doesn't mean there isn't ANY quality US drama on Virgin-but you perhaps have to hunt around the channels a bit more to find it. At least you did until TiVo arrived to do it for you. I'd barely looked at TCM, for example, but am thoroughly enjoying Hell on Wheels, and I personally don't think there's anything better than The Walking Dead on FX. Chuck in Elementary on Sky One hd and then the fact that in My Shows I've got brand new American Office, several Daily Shows to catch up on as well as the entire last season of 24 that I've still not watched AND Dan Snow still has to walk me through two Battle Castles etc et c. I agree, I really don't have time to sit through all the things I actually want to watch as it is.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:50.
|