19-10-2012, 21:03
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 282
|
Keep Until Query
Hi All
I have a load of films recorded on my Tivo, some from as far back as July. One of them today had the hourglass symbol next to it and I discovered this meant it was going to be automatically deleted in the next 24 hours.
I started checking some of the others and they all had a Keep Until set to 20/10, but different times throughout the day of 20/10. These films were recorded at different intervals - some as far as two months apart - but still have a Keep Until of tomorrow. I haven't set this, so why would they all be showing this date? Am I going to have to manually amend the Keep Until date on each one? Will they all really be deleted if I don't?
Any ideas?
Thanks
|
|
|
19-10-2012, 21:53
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Teesside
Age: 48
Services: 1tb tivo, vhd, 60meg shub2 cablemodem, 1Xphoneline, Virgin mobile contract p
Posts: 1,184
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Means your hdd is getting full and Tivo has decided to start deleting items that are not set to 'do not delete', regardless of when they were recorded. hope this helps.
|
|
|
19-10-2012, 22:00
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: Keep Until Query
It's pessimistic. They won't actually be deleted unless it runs out of space.
|
|
|
19-10-2012, 22:05
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coventry
Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
Posts: 160
|
Re: Keep Until Query
I had a few items deleted a couple of weeks ago. Took me a while to work out what they were. My box was 60% full. it deleted 5 eps of merlin, 1 film from the spring, part 2 of a ministries from Christmas. Just seemed a bit random!
|
|
|
19-10-2012, 22:13
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 282
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey2468
Means your hdd is getting full and Tivo has decided to start deleting items that are not set to 'do not delete', regardless of when they were recorded. hope this helps. 
|
It's only on 50%!!!! That's a bit drastic, isn't it? Deleting things when it's only half full!
|
|
|
19-10-2012, 22:19
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coventry
Services: TiVO, V+, XL TV, L Broadband and Superhub, M Phone
Posts: 160
|
Re: Keep Until Query
It also cleared my suggestions completely and told me I needed to rate more programmes!
|
|
|
19-10-2012, 22:29
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Keep Until Query
I set all my recordings to 'Keep until I delete' and keep an eye on free disc space. If it's getting full, I delete the shows I choose to delete, not the ones Tivo decides to. Therefore, I never encounter the above problem.
|
|
|
19-10-2012, 22:45
|
#8
|
|
Guest
Location: West Sussex
Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I set all my recordings to 'Keep until I delete' and keep an eye on free disc space. If it's getting full, I delete the shows I choose to delete, not the ones Tivo decides to. Therefore, I never encounter the above problem.
|
Yup, that's what I do PB. Mine rarely is more than 40% used but I want to decide what is deleted. Just a pain that you have to ensure that you set the KUID for every series link individually. Not exactly a triumph in software programming, however Tivo is a huge improvement over the V+.
|
|
|
|
20-10-2012, 09:14
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11,250
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbrown
I had a few items deleted a couple of weeks ago. Took me a while to work out what they were. My box was 60% full. it deleted 5 eps of merlin, 1 film from the spring, part 2 of a ministries from Christmas. Just seemed a bit random!
|
Can you undelete these?
|
|
|
20-10-2012, 11:14
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 282
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer
Yup, that's what I do PB. Mine rarely is more than 40% used but I want to decide what is deleted. Just a pain that you have to ensure that you set the KUID for every series link individually. Not exactly a triumph in software programming, however Tivo is a huge improvement over the V+.
|
Exactly! It's these little idiosyncrasies that's stops TiVo being the absolute be all and end all of TV Set Top Boxes, which would give VM an unquestionable, hands-down Sky beater! IMHO.
|
|
|
20-10-2012, 11:37
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer
Just a pain that you have to ensure that you set the KUID for every series link individually. Not exactly a triumph in software programming, .
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD
Exactly! It's these little idiosyncrasies that's stops TiVo being the absolute be all and end all of TV Set Top Boxes, which would give VM an unquestionable, hands-down Sky beater! IMHO.
|
This was discussed when selectable recording defaults were introduced in the last Tivo update.
It's because the people at VM/Tivo don't think that their VM tivo users are competent enough to make an intelligent decision about the keep until date and so have made it a non selectable option in the recording defaults, even though you are able to go in and change it manually for every recording and every other recording default is selectable. I find that pathetic and insulting to the customer base. It renders Express series link completely redundant for people who like to set the keep until date to KUID.
|
|
|
20-10-2012, 12:18
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Age: 45
Posts: 308
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD
Hi All
I have a load of films recorded on my Tivo, some from as far back as July. One of them today had the hourglass symbol next to it and I discovered this meant it was going to be automatically deleted in the next 24 hours.
I started checking some of the others and they all had a Keep Until set to 20/10, but different times throughout the day of 20/10. These films were recorded at different intervals - some as far as two months apart - but still have a Keep Until of tomorrow. I haven't set this, so why would they all be showing this date? Am I going to have to manually amend the Keep Until date on each one? Will they all really be deleted if I don't?
Any ideas?
Thanks
|
I tend not to worry about the hourglass any more. My main box has had an hour glass against the Gruffalo for about 9-10 months now but it's still there. Neither of my boxes have seen fit to delete any recordings because of space and I've had my first for around 18 months and my second for about a year.
The only time my first box did delete one of my recordings by itself was because I had set the number of episodes for the series to 10 and it recorded the 11th and deleted the first.
|
|
|
20-10-2012, 13:01
|
#13
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: Keep Until Query
I've got a few hour glasses showing but not had any issues so far. My experience with TiVo is that if you try and tinker it will mess up, if you sit back and let it do its thing workout interfering then its rare that it does something you don't like.
|
|
|
20-10-2012, 13:08
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Age: 45
Posts: 308
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
I've got a few hour glasses showing but not had any issues so far. My experience with TiVo is that if you try and tinker it will mess up, if you sit back and let it do its thing workout interfering then its rare that it does something you don't like.
|
That's my experience too. You do have to trust the box quite a bit though in order to get the best from it but I imagine the hour glass description doesn't lead people to think "I'll just leave that, the box isn't going to really delete it".
|
|
|
20-10-2012, 14:12
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Keep Until Query
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
My experience with TiVo is that if you try and tinker it will mess up,.
|
Given that KUID is an option, surely it can't be defined as tinkering? Do you have real world examples of how setting all recordings to KUID has 'messed up' someone's Tivo?
People with V+, Sky+ Freview, Freesat and Youview boxes seem to be completely able to manage free disc space without 'messing up' something.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 05:11.
|