17-10-2012, 11:46
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edinburgh
Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Posts: 5,137
|
What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
If ESPN pulls out of the UK in the summer Virgin will suddenly find themselves with a budget to play with.
What would people like to see Virgin invest the money into?
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 11:50
|
#2
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad
If ESPN pulls out of the UK in the summer Virgin will suddenly find themselves with a budget to play with.
What would people like to see Virgin invest the money into?
|
A very interesting Conundrum and at the end of the day after much consideration l would like to see it invested in more HD and SD channels.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 12:01
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Where is "distribute to shareholders"?
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 12:18
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Where is "distribute to shareholders"? 
|
So they can afford to get Sky as well so that they don't miss any of the channels that VM don't have?
Just kidding Spiderplant
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 12:25
|
#5
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,945
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
VM will probably get BT Sports whether or not ESPN stays or goes. I can't really see ESPN going, not yet anyway. They have secured deals to broadcast other European league fixtures next season or more than what they do now.
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 12:29
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Surrey
Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Posts: 1,227
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry
VM will probably get BT Sports whether or not ESPN stays or goes. I can't really see ESPN going, not yet anyway. They have secured deals to broadcast other European league fixtures next season or more than what they do now.
|
Three years or more? I also think ESPN will play the long game.....
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 12:30
|
#7
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Where is "distribute to shareholders"? 
|
They are further down my list as its vitally important to re-invest to keep your customers happy.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 12:36
|
#8
|
|
Guest
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Remove ESPN from the XL pack when the Premier League season is over and lower the price accordingly.
BT Sports is made to be an advantage for BT Vision versus its competitors so it won't be offered to VM in any other form than a premium subscription channel.
|
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 12:44
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Surrey
Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Posts: 1,227
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
I agree BT will be at a premium price which I will choose not to pay....
I doubt ESPN will be removed from XL if it continues to run which I think it will.
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 13:09
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
In the wake of the Setanta collapse Virgin were under tremendous pressure to continue to provide coverage of the Premier League for free on it's top tier. It doesn't appear that they'll be under the same sort of pressure this time around, which is interesting. I should have thought that far from freeing up a budget which Virgin can spend on new things, the scenario outlined by the op would actually give Virgin breathing space from what I understand was a pretty punishing deal. What I do know is that if ESPN withdraws, and Virgin do consider that they have some money to spend on new content then it should be sporting content.
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 13:40
|
#11
|
|
RIp Sweetness
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,393
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
I think ESPN are already negotiating a way out of the UK. I received a questionnaire from them as I am a Forum member asking me questions about BT sports channel. Would I subscribe to a stand alone channel or would I prefer it as part of my current sub with VM and to many others about BT sports channel to list here.
I am convinced they are planning an exit strategy and this may involve them selling the entire UK operation to BT. This would give BT all ESPN current rights and a working entity.
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 13:44
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear
I think ESPN are already negotiating a way out of the UK. I received a questionnaire from them as I am a Forum member asking me questions about BT sports channel. Would I subscribe to a stand alone channel or would I prefer it as part of my current sub with VM and to many others about BT sports channel to list here.
I am convinced they are planning an exit strategy and this may involve them selling the entire UK operation to BT. This would give BT all ESPN current rights and a working entity.
|
How does that leave ESPN America ?
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 13:51
|
#13
|
|
RIp Sweetness
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,393
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
How does that leave ESPN America ?
|
Not in a very good place, unless that is part of the deal.  They asked me for my comments and I told them that ESPN used to be the place for American Sports fans, but with the loss of NHL and with them no longer wanting MNF for NFL, this is no longer the case.
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 13:52
|
#14
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
How does that leave ESPN America ?
|
To put it bluntly up the creek without a paddle.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
17-10-2012, 13:57
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: What Virgin should do if ESPN pull out of the UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear
Not in a very good place, unless that is part of the deal.  They asked me for my comments and I told them that ESPN used to be the place for American Sports fans, but with the loss of NHL and with them no longer wanting MNF for NFL, this is no longer the case.
|
Thanks for the info
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
To put it bluntly up the creek without a paddle.
|
That would be a shame Den for us US Sports fans , I love my fix of College football.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:40.
|