TiVo STB's - how reliable?
16-09-2012, 09:42
|
#46
|
|
Guest
Location: West Sussex
Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
You could post the model no. of your Bravia so we can check how the updates are implemented. I found this with a quick Google although it may not be relevant to your TV:
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_5847552_up...ny-bravia.html
|
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 10:29
|
#47
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
Oh dear you do need to have that eye test Mr Stokes.  
|
His eyes are probably OK Den; he just needs to take those rose tiinted glasses off
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 12:17
|
#48
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
Oh dear you do need to have that eye test Mr Stokes.  
|
Not long had my eye test and went well as expected,
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
His eyes are probably OK Den; he just needs to take those rose tiinted glasses off 
|
My glasses are not rose tinted. They do have some green tint mind you to help with sun light
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 12:30
|
#49
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2009
Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
Posts: 472
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypto
Mine works this way:
Menu > Settings > Set-up (tool box icon) > Digital set-up > Technical set-up
Now at last you get to have Auto Service Update on/off & Software Download on/off.
Quite a few key presses on the remote to get there. I don't remember setting mine up so the default settings may well be on anyway.
Cheers 
|
Most people on here will be familiar with doing this as they have TiVo's... 
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 14:40
|
#50
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 282
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstokes
Im not sure what Sky box you have bene looking at. Mine is well designed and looks sleek and cool (like me  ) i think it looks better than Tivo
|
I think my comments may have been misleading. I was actually referring to the on screen guide and menu's - the horrible big blue boxes and giant bold fonts - and not the outward appearance of the box. Although TiVo is far better at that as well!
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 14:48
|
#51
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD
I think my comments may have been misleading. I was actually referring to the on screen guide and menu's - the horrible big blue boxes and giant bold fonts - and not the outward appearance of the box. Although TiVo is far better at that as well!
|
Each to their own , I prefer the new Sky EPG over the TIVO as it's much quicker through the menus and much more intuitive in my opinion , TIVO can be a little slower owing to the fact it's simply doing more and is more graphic laden however it's purely personal preference each individual will differ , I'm sure many will like the new changes when they get access to them on their Sky+HD STB's
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 15:03
|
#52
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Still nice to see the one upon high is still preaching to the uncoverted.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 16:01
|
#53
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sheffield
Age: 39
Services: Sky+HD (2TB) with Sky World, BT Sport and ESPN, Sky 3D, Sky+HD Multiroom, Sky Talk Freetime, Sky Fib
Posts: 4,090
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDGOLD
I think my comments may have been misleading. I was actually referring to the on screen guide and menu's - the horrible big blue boxes and giant bold fonts - and not the outward appearance of the box. Although TiVo is far better at that as well!
|
Ive had both and i prefer Sky interface over Tivo. The ultimate ox would be Tivo hardware with Sky software
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
Each to their own , I prefer the new Sky EPG over the TIVO as it's much quicker through the menus and much more intuitive in my opinion , TIVO can be a little slower owing to the fact it's simply doing more and is more graphic laden however it's purely personal preference each individual will differ , I'm sure many will like the new changes when they get access to them on their Sky+HD STB's 
|
Well said MM. New EPG is such much better than the old one
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
Still nice to see the one upon high is still preaching to the uncoverted. 
|
Papa dont Preach
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 16:04
|
#54
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
I only used the old Sky hd epg, but I liked it and I'm told the new one is even better. I also like the TiVo ui. Both are miles ahead of v+.
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 16:14
|
#55
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: W.Sussex
Services: Broadband L (30Mb)
TV M+
Phone M
Posts: 95
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko
Doesn't the software updating assume that you are connected to digital terrestrial TV (not cable), this is the way any updates come, and only then if the transponder is carrying them for your brand of TV.
I would check with Sony on the web to see if you have the latest version of software and update it by USB.
|
Unfortunately my Model KDL-32V4000 does not have a USB service port, nor are there any software updates available on the Sony website.
I am connected to terrestrial digital as well as cable and therefore I would assume any software updates would already have been carried out as this is selected as automatic in the settings menu.
|
|
|
16-09-2012, 16:38
|
#56
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m
I only used the old Sky hd epg, but I liked it and I'm told the new one is even better. I also like the TiVo ui. Both are miles ahead of v+.
|
That's actually spot on , both EPG's leave V+ looking like an early Freeview recorder.
For me
TIVO
Search is light years ahead of Sky and an area which got criticised the most in the Sky Beta forum.
Wishlist is an excellent feature
Three recordable tuners
Never ending series links
Sky
Intuitive speedy interface
Ability to remind/series link from an advert for a show via green button
dynamic EPG
The ability to control/interact STB with tablet
|
|
|
17-09-2012, 07:41
|
#57
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
TiVo series link , Dr Who did not work , Downton Abbey did not work . Set up correctly have looked just did not start . Noticed in both cases no red light so set manually.
I thought, perhaps incorrectly that if you select record it picks up from start ( Don`t see why it should but seem to recall it happening in the past!) Any way did not with Dr.
Dr Who at least is now recording the series.Wait to see what happens with Downton.
Yes it does work on other shows. Strange but true ( Perhaps that could be a show title )
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
17-09-2012, 08:46
|
#58
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
Posts: 338
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11
The ability to control/interact STB with tablet
|
Can we not already do that on TiVo? Albeit unofficially.
I actually like the V+ EPG. Episode name, cast and director details all on one screen - which itself is much better than the what the Sky EPG can display.
|
|
|
17-09-2012, 09:02
|
#59
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim
TiVo series link , Dr Who did not work , Downton Abbey did not work . Set up correctly have looked just did not start . Noticed in both cases no red light so set manually.
|
No idea about Downton but my DW linked worked fine and the ep was set as "new" so I don't know why yours didn't
Quote:
|
I thought, perhaps incorrectly that if you select record it picks up from start ( Don`t see why it should but seem to recall it happening in the past!) Any way did not with Dr.
|
It will pick up all of whatever is in the buffer. So if no tuner was on the channel before it started and you had to change it manually to record it you probably missed the very beginning.
Quote:
|
Strange but true ( Perhaps that could be a show title )
|
I think it was at some point
|
|
|
17-09-2012, 09:50
|
#60
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: TiVo STB's - how reliable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
I think it was at some point 
|
I know
__________________
No point in being pessimistic. You know it won`t work.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53.
|