TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
17-08-2012, 19:12
|
#196
|
|
Woke and proud !
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 10,251
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Of course it's a subjective point but I am quite happy with the SD PQ. (Except on 5* but that's the broadcaster's fault and not VMs  )
And, again, the iPlayer app is the BBC's and not VMs
So you're 0 for 2 so far. Care to try again
 
|
Vm have to take some responsibility for their box and stop blaming others. We do pay then after all, so they are accountable for their 'sub-contractors'. If they had any 'balls' they'd insist on using the VM servers for catch up (as with V+) until iPlayer is fit for purpose.
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 19:12
|
#197
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Epsom
Services: V+. Tivo (soon). BB XL.
Posts: 227
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
OK, I understand the arguement of 'if you've got three recordings planned then the reminder won't work', but surely that would be the case regardless of whether the reminded prog is to be recorded or not. I think an option to just change the channel without recording could have been offered alongside recording.
I spent today at home, and enjoyed the new feature of being able to set various reminders to give me some background company, but then I've just had to waste my precious time deleting all the unwanted recordings - mainly because as the Tivo is approx 85% full and default setting on 'normal' recordings is not keep until I delete the Tivo will delete my older wanted recordings off it's own back before my unwanted reminder recordings. So Tivo is not saving me the one thing I never have enough of - time. How can this situation be a step forward Carl?
Cheers
Grim
|
Me too
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 19:14
|
#198
|
|
Woke and proud !
Join Date: Jun 2004
Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Posts: 10,251
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
What gives you the impression that other developments have been held up because of the implementation of remimders Mr K?. 
|
Because this upgrade has delivered ***all, apart from breaking TiVo Commander and iPad app.
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 19:18
|
#199
|
|
Still alive and fighting
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: In the land of beyond and beyond.
Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
Posts: 56,742
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K
Because this upgrade has delivered ***all, apart from breaking TiVo Commander and iPad app.
|
Perhaps some patience is needed from some on here because seems to think that things happen overnight but in reality they take a bit longer then that but their patience will be rewarded in the end.
__________________
“The only lesson you can learn from history is that it repeats itself”
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 19:52
|
#200
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 134
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Sorry Carl in the early days of the Virgin TiVo, with your S1 knowledge you seemed to have an "if I can help attitude". However since your opinion on reminders was roundly ignored all you do is snipe.
People like your knowledge and help but I can't understand why you post using neither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
You really need to work on your English comprehension and/or forum etiquette.
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Which would we what?
|
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 19:54
|
#201
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K
Because this upgrade has delivered ***all
|
And what things were you expecting that specifically would require a firmware update that haven't been delivered?
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 20:09
|
#202
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
OK, I understand the arguement of 'if you've got three recordings planned then the reminder won't work', but surely that would be the case regardless of whether the reminded prog is to be recorded or not. I think an option to just change the channel without recording could have been offered alongside recording.
|
And the point is that, as has already been pointed out, this option was simple not doable; though why I don't know.
Quote:
|
I spent today at home, and enjoyed the new feature of being able to set various reminders to give me some background company..
|
Now that's just weird  For 'background' I'd leave it on one channel or just listen to the radio.
Quote:
|
but then I've just had to waste my precious time deleting all the unwanted recordings - mainly because as the Tivo is approx 85% full and default setting on 'normal' recordings is notkeep until I delete the Tivo will delete my older wanted recordings off it's own back before my unwanted reminder recordings. So Tivo is not saving me the one thing I never have enough of - time. How can this situation be a step forward Carl?
|
Because your way of using Tivo is, honestly, not one that I have ever heard of before and cannot be thought of as "normal use". Which makes it your problem, not Tivos.
---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 20:58 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch
Yawn. I will reply to this one and leave it at that. I will welcome your comments though.
|
Not exactly a "discussion" then, is it?
No point my wasting time replying then, so I will leave it there too.
---------- Post added at 21:09 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison
Sorry Carl in the early days of the Virgin TiVo, with your S1 knowledge you seemed to have an "if I can help attitude". However since your opinion on reminders...
|
Which, it seems, some people share.
Quote:
|
...was roundly ignored all you do is snipe.
|
Oh please  I thought you were better than that, den.
Quote:
|
People like your knowledge and help but I can't understand why you post using neither.
|
I help where I can but I'm also pretty sure I am allowed an opinion when I'm not actively helping
Reminders are here (implemented in the only way possible, apparently) and yet those who wanted the functionality are still complaining.
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 20:14
|
#203
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,588
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Because your way of using Tivo is, honestly, not one that I have ever heard of before and cannot be thought of as "normal use". Which makes it your problem, not Tivos.
|
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the default Tivo setting on a recording is keep until space is required. When the box is full, I believe that the oldest recordings are deleted first. If I leave recorded reminders on a nearly full Tivo then when space is needed for 'planned' recordings what will Tivo delete to make space - the new watched reminders or older recordings?
If the above are the default settings then I would say that was probably the most common way of using Tivo and should be considered normal use. I agree it does make it my problem, not a problem of my making, but a problem of a poor implementation of what should have been a first rate feature.
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 20:19
|
#204
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
but then I've just had to waste my precious time deleting all the unwanted recordings - mainly because as the Tivo is approx 85% full and default setting on 'normal' recordings is not keep until I delete the Tivo will delete my older wanted recordings off it's own back before my unwanted reminder recordings. So Tivo is not saving me the one thing I never have enough of - time. How can this situation be a step forward Carl?
Cheers
Grim
|
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
Because your way of using Tivo is, honestly, not one that I have ever heard of before and cannot be thought of as "normal use". Which makes it your problem, not Tivos.
.
|
Grim, how dare you use tivo in a way that has not been aproved and certified by Carl Waring? Shocking, simply shocking!
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 20:25
|
#205
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottingham
Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Posts: 701
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the default Tivo setting on a recording is keep until space is required. When the box is full, I believe that the oldest recordings are deleted first. If I leave recorded reminders on a nearly full Tivo then when space is needed for 'planned' recordings what will Tivo delete to make space - the new watched reminders or older recordings?
If the above are the default settings then I would say that was probably the most common way of using Tivo and should be considered normal use. I agree it does make it my problem, not a problem of my making, but a problem of a poor implementation of what should have been a first rate feature.
Cheers
Grim
|
How many other DVRs delete recordings when they are short or run out of space like Tivo have implemented as default?! The common "Default" is to stop recording, Tivo just had to do what is common practice, somehow they haven't, much to the annoyance of plenty of users who want to control their recordings, not let a box do it for them.
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 20:31
|
#206
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,588
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
Grim, how dare you use tivo in a way that has not been aproved and certified by Carl Waring? Shocking, simply shocking!
|
Mrs G says that if any of her Bruce Willis films are deleted because of reminders then our Tivo might meet with a nasty accident. She's currently working her wat through everything changing the settings to do not delete and complaining that this is what she wanted to spend Friday evening doing. I'm too scared to pass any coment
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 20:36
|
#207
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester
Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
Posts: 17,929
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice
How many other DVRs delete recordings when they are short or run out of space like Tivo have implemented as default?! The common "Default" is to stop recording, Tivo just had to do what is common practice, somehow they haven't, much to the annoyance of plenty of users who want to control their recordings, not let a box do it for them.
|
As far I know it's how TiVo has worked for 10 years
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 20:37
|
#208
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 59
Posts: 2,588
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice
How many other DVRs delete recordings when they are short or run out of space like Tivo have implemented as default?! The common "Default" is to stop recording, Tivo just had to do what is common practice, somehow they haven't, much to the annoyance of plenty of users who want to control their recordings, not let a box do it for them.
|
Our old Pioneer DVD/HDD recorder also has the option to reduce recording quality - a very useful feature that meant when we spent 28 days visiting friends in NYC we knew that all our planned recordings would be there when we returned along with all the recordings that were there when we left
Cheers
Grim
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 21:03
|
#209
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr
As far I know it's how TiVo has worked for 10 years
|
But you can set induvidual recordings and series links, to KUID, so it is a Tivo option, so it makes no sense not to include it in the recording default options.
I see there is some text to the right of each option, So a note of some kind, such as, 'Tivo recomends KUSN, be sure to monitor free space if you choose KUID' would help novice users.
---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 21:59 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Choice
How many other DVRs delete recordings when they are short or run out of space like Tivo have implemented as default?! The common "Default" is to stop recording, Tivo just had to do what is common practice, somehow they haven't, much to the annoyance of plenty of users who want to control their recordings, not let a box do it for them.
|
Exactly. VM users are used to having to keep and eye on free disc space and delete when necessary, because that's what you had to do on V+.
|
|
|
17-08-2012, 21:05
|
#210
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the default Tivo setting on a recording is keep until space is required. When the box is full, I believe that the oldest recordings are deleted first. If I leave recorded reminders on a nearly full Tivo then when space is needed for 'planned' recordings what will Tivo delete to make space - the new watched reminders or older recordings?
|
The older recordings.
However, I thought the idea of reminders was so that you could watch something there and then. So it won't take up any space on your Tivo as you will either cancel the recording when the reminders pops-up or delete the recording when you have watched it. Right?
Quote:
|
If the above are the default settings then I would say that was probably the most common way of using Tivo and should be considered normal use.
|
And I was referring to your use of reminders for creating "background" whilst you did other things. Nothing else.
---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
Grim, how dare you use tivo in a way that has not been aproved and certified by Carl Waring? Shocking, simply shocking!
|
 I somehow expected better of you, pb
---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth
Mrs G says that if any of her Bruce Willis films are deleted because of reminders then our Tivo might meet with a nasty accident.
|
See about. This shouldn't happen  But yes, setting some things (not everything) to KUID is a good idea.
PS I've had a bit of a crappy day so if that's affected my posting style I apologise. (Can't say it has for certain but the way my brain works - ore doesn't - you never know  )
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 11:58.
|