TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
15-08-2012, 18:09
|
#136
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hell
Age: 50
Posts: 5,956
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone
Nothing down here at this present moment. 
|
Pardon mate
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 19:01
|
#137
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I'm sorry Carl, but I'm beginning to think that your blind loyalty to tivo is getting in the way of your reasoning.
|
Not really. I take your points. Just don't agree with all of them.
And Mark Wilkin's an idiot anyway 
---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo
My prob with Until Space Needed is that things have vanished on me when I've used that. I know the hourglass appears for a day or two and says its going to be deleted but I've lost a few things before I realised what was going on.
|
I can only assume that either your Tivo is nearly always full and/or you have a lot of things set to KUID because my Tivo has auto-never deleted anything since I got it
Quote:
|
I know we all have our opinions but that's mine and unless someone can give me a good reason why that default is not there for a free choice by the user, when it used to be there, I'm always going to think it is another silly silly thing.
|
The reasoning has already been given; which is that "until space needed" is the best option to use to allow Tivo to work properly.
---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
Yes, that is the one thing that V+ was better at than Tivo. Because of the way Tivo handles this, and potentially clips shows, I went for zero padding right from the get go with Tivo and have had almost no problems.
|
The best thing to do is to turn Overlap Protection off and not use it 
---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
So, how come I've never had any?
|
How full is your Tivo?
---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I think, and could be wrong, but that is just recording priority; it won't use these when deciding what to delete first.
|
You are right. It just deletes the oldest first.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 19:20
|
#138
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Maidstone
Services: VIP;
BB XL;
TiVo 1TB;
V+HD
Posts: 674
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Anyone who has it, what are the video on demand search improvements?
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 19:46
|
#139
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2007
Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and
Broadband size L
V+HD and VHD
Posts: 235
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risco
Anyone who has it, what are the video on demand search improvements?
|
Not too much really. Just that when you now go to the Search and Browse tab, you are given more options -
1. Search All TV
2. Browse TV and Collections
3. Search Catch up and On Demand
4. Search Music on Demand
5. Search YouTube
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 20:41
|
#140
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 9,058
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
So, how come I've never had any?
|
Because you manage the free space yourself. So "keep until space needed" would work equally well for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat
I think, and could be wrong, but that is just recording priority; it won't use these when deciding what to delete first.
|
That's my understanding too.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 21:03
|
#141
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant
Because you manage the free space yourself.
.
|
Exactly, my system works. And also, more importantly, it gives me reassurance that nothing will be deleted unless I do it.
So why do you deny people that way of doing things? After all, that's how people have had to do it on V+ for years so are used to it.
People love options. It appears that VM/Tivo don't trust people with them. Kind of insulting IMHO.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 21:29
|
#142
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
I stand corrected re priorities. Since my TiVo has never deleted anything without me asking it to I've never seen in which order it would decide to do so if it did. Which it hasn't.
Each to their own, however.
Liking the separate od search. Used to be irritating finding search results which weren't due to be on air for a week when sat ready to watch something at that moment. Not sure its really cut out any of the numerous button presses, however??
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 21:36
|
#143
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bournemouth
Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD
Samsung Galaxy s3
Posts: 629
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Just found at the botton of "my shows" an extra 2 folders 1 being called "Getting the most out of tivo" the 2nd is the you tube app cant see the point of these but there you go each to there own.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 22:10
|
#144
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brizzle
Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 359
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------
[/COLOR]
I can only assume that either your Tivo is nearly always full and/or you have a lot of things set to KUID because my Tivo has auto-never deleted anything since I got it
The reasoning has already been given; which is that "until space needed" is the best option to use to allow Tivo to work properly.[COLOR="Silver"]
|
My TiVo would have also never auto deleted anything since I got it if it was all set to KUID, like it was when I first got it. So thanks for making the point for me. I don't mind it auto deleting her TOWIE or Don't Tell the Bride programmes, but when it starts messing around with my Father Teds, then we have an issue.
If you think that things vanishing on me means TiVo is working properly, then quite simply, you're wrong.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 22:33
|
#145
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo
My TiVo would have also never auto deleted anything since I got it if it was all set to KUID, like it was when I first got it.
|
Yes. But the point is that making everything "KUID" does affect any possible future recordings because of way Tivo allocates space.
So yes, you carry on pointlessly setting everything to "KUID" but don't come complaining when it hasn't recorded something because of it.
---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:32 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo
If you think that things vanishing on me means TiVo is working properly, then quite simply, you're wrong.
|
I repeat....nothing's ever "vanished" on me.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 22:58
|
#146
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: South Herts
Services: A mix of XXL and XL
Posts: 630
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
....nothing's ever "vanished" on me.
|
The only times I've had stuff vanish is with a very full box, over 90% and KUID set for everything
Since switching to 'keep until space required' its always shown me what's going to be deleted and so is under my control to make sure I get my finger out and watch it or delete it if I don't want it any longer
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 23:10
|
#147
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brizzle
Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 359
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
@carlwaring I've never complained about that have I.
@anybodyelse Is this really right then. I've got 80% full box, half tb. It's all KUID. I've just series linked all the Football matches on Sky Sports HD and ESPN HD, again all KUID, there's nine matches lined up in My Planned Recordings along with a host of other stuff. All those football matches are way over 20% in my past experience. There's nothing in Recording hiccups to say it won't record because there's no space. There's nothing being deleted, so I'm thinking that as long as there is space when each recording is due, it'll record. And that's what I did all the way through last season.
But the last few pages seem to be suggesting that TiVo won't do this. I'm confused by that. I don't know what to believe as I trust what some people say on here (not you Carl) and it just seems different to my user experience.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 23:20
|
#148
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: North-West Kent
Services: VIP
Posts: 2,887
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
I don't know the answer to that, all I can say is that my user experience suggests that you could save yourself an awful lot of work and achieve the same results.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 23:29
|
#149
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brizzle
Services: V6, 350mb Broadband, Phone
Posts: 359
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
I've just spotted a new option for Reminder in the Options on a Series Link or a Set Recording. I think that's new. I like the look of that and I'm going to change that to Yes for a few of the Series Links so if I'm watching TiVo, it'll be good to be told its just about to start.
Why isn't that on the Default Recording Options setting though?
---------- Post added at 00:29 ---------- Previous post was at 00:23 ----------
Correction it's not on the Series Links. It's only available in the My Planned Recordings page as far as I can tell so you have to go back in and put it on individually on each recording if you want it on your series links.
Should have realised that shouldn't I.
|
|
|
16-08-2012, 01:41
|
#150
|
|
cf.geek
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dorset
Services: VIP120 w/ TiVo x2
Posts: 645
|
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilo
@carlwaring I've never complained about that have I.
@anybodyelse Is this really right then. I've got 80% full box, half tb. It's all KUID. I've just series linked all the Football matches on Sky Sports HD and ESPN HD, again all KUID, there's nine matches lined up in My Planned Recordings along with a host of other stuff. All those football matches are way over 20% in my past experience. There's nothing in Recording hiccups to say it won't record because there's no space. There's nothing being deleted, so I'm thinking that as long as there is space when each recording is due, it'll record. And that's what I did all the way through last season.
But the last few pages seem to be suggesting that TiVo won't do this. I'm confused by that. I don't know what to believe as I trust what some people say on here (not you Carl) and it just seems different to my user experience.
|
Not sure why you're not seeing things not about to record if it really would fill up the last 20%. I have everything KUID and when we went away for 3 weeks I came back to it 95% full and only about a week more of recordings in my planned recordings when it should have been 2 weeks at least. It wouldn't set any further recordings as there wasn't enough space. I had a marathon 2 days of catching up on a lot of the stuff recorded while away (and deleting stuff from before that I knew I wasn't likely to watch - or set to re-record later like movies I knew would come round again) it then set those programmes to record for the next two weeks.
So I can confirm from my own personal experience that what they are saying is correct, that if everything is KUID then if your drive gets full enough it will stop setting upcoming programmes if there isn't enough room to record them.
Since then I do my best to keep it around the 50% mark if I can. I have a few series that I've recorded all the seasons of (in SD) as they were ones I was interested in but never got round to watching. That's the truly awesome thing about TiVo - that it gives me the space to do that.
Now that I've been able to change the padding 0/0 for express recording I will do that, but i'll have to remind myself to pop back in later and set the recording to KUID. I have to do that anyway as hubby never remembers so I'm always saving his recording from being bumped. Aren't I good to him LOL.
A major plus I've discovered (and I think was referenced earlier in the thread) scrolling through alphabetical On Demand is now MUCH faster. used to press channel down and waaaaaaiittttttt. now it's almost (not quite) immediate to the next page. So that's a big plus. Haven't played too much in the other menus.
Overall I think it's a postiive update, just a couple of things that seem a bit odd (like the KUID issue)
__________________
Relatively happy VM customer
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 07:34.
|