Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2012, 11:23   #106
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I assume you're in a large family then, with a heavily-used, very-full Tivo and don't want your stuff deleting until you've had a chance to watch it.

Which is fair enough
Both my Tivo's are pretty full, but it wouldn't matter how full they were, I would still set a recording to keep until I delete. You get constant feedback of how full the disk is, so when it gets near full, I can go through my recordings and decide which ones are the least important to me and delete those. As far as deletions are concerened, Tivo hasn't a clue as to which ones I would prefer to keep.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2012, 11:28   #107
Stephen
Smeghead
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

People have to remember, its not VM's designs or defaults but that of TiVo a product that VM licensed and are using on their STBs.

Yea they can and have requested many changes and new additional features but am guessing they will never be able to get things added changed that will funamentally change the basic way that TiVo has always functioned.

I have my main series links set to KUID but there are some other less important things like Quantum Leap and other older shows where there are lots and lots of episodes that I have set to KUSN or only keep up to 10 episodes so that I won't run out of space. My 1Tb is sitting at 85% full and my 500Gb is at 90% just now.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 11:43   #108
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
People have to remember, its not VM's designs or defaults but that of TiVo a product that VM licensed and are using on their STBs.

Yea they can and have requested many changes and new additional features but am guessing they will never be able to get things added changed that will funamentally change the basic way that TiVo has always functioned.
Stephen, why wasn't the 'Keep Until' setting allowed to be changed?

There was the chance for the complete customisation of recording defaults and not doing that has messed up a feature that could have been brilliant.

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I have my main series links set to KUID but there are some other less important things like Quantum Leap and other older shows where there are lots and lots of episodes that I have set to KUSN or only keep up to 10 episodes so that I won't run out of space. My 1Tb is sitting at 85% full and my 500Gb is at 90% just now.
So, what percentage of your recordings do you set as KUID?

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 ----------
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 11:50   #109
Perfect Choice
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nottingham
Services: Maxit TV, M phone, 200MB BB, V6 TIVO, Super Hub3
Posts: 701
Perfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to beholdPerfect Choice is a splendid one to behold
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
In that case you wouldn't have had a problem with "keep until space needed" either. The difference is only relevant when the disc becomes full.
Exactly, I hit the alert warning around 85% utilisation of my 1TB Tivo, trouble is Tivo works out forward scheduled recordings to work out remaining space as if you were going to keep them all which could be up to 2 weeks of recording in the future, while in practice you tend to watch and delete recordings in the main.

Tends to not be a problem then unless running your HDD at near full. I wonder if you do leave the setting at "keep until space needed", Tivo alerts you it has had to delete an existing recording to complete a future recording and whether it deletes watched recordings first before unwatched. never been there! If this happens you can reciver a deleted recording at least but you need to know it has happened!

But would like to control this all myself so to be alerted Tivo cannot record a future programme due to lack of HDD space so I can take action myself.
Perfect Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 11:58   #110
horno46
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 35
horno46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Apart from reminders. Is there anything else in the update. Menus all in HD for instance? Do we have a full list of changes. I have no interest in reminders so if that's all there is it ain't much of an update for me
horno46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:04   #111
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Stephen, why wasn't the 'Keep Until' setting allowed to be changed?
You can change it. Just not on the defaults.

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
As far as deletions are concerened, Tivo hasn't a clue as to which ones I would prefer to keep.
And, as I said, mine has yet to delete anything itself and virtually none of my SLs are set to KUID.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:12   #112
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
In that case you wouldn't have had a problem with "keep until space needed" either. The difference is only relevant when the disc becomes full.

But the disks are fairly close to full quite often; given the amount of HD I now record, I don't like them above 85%. I prefer to do my own space management; as I said in another post, I know the recordings that are more important to me than the others; Tivo hasn't got a clue about that. You will never convince me to use "keep until space needed".

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
You can change it. Just not on the defaults.

.
How many times Carl? We all know that! but we are discussing the new recording default settings.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:28   #113
starfish
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 73
starfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Both my Tivo's are pretty full, but it wouldn't matter how full they were, I would still set a recording to keep until I delete. You get constant feedback of how full the disk is, so when it gets near full, I can go through my recordings and decide which ones are the least important to me and delete those. As far as deletions are concerened, Tivo hasn't a clue as to which ones I would prefer to keep.
Same here, although we only have one TiVo. I like to decide what to watch and when.

On another note, just in case I am missing something (don't think I am though). I was really pleased to see the Reminders function on the list of features - yes, I liked it very much on the V+ and I have missed it. Of course, I should have known it would not be as straightforward as that. As I understand it, I cannot use Reminders without recording the programme as well - well, that's just bloody useless. When I record a show, it's for watching it later and I don't need to be reminded. Were I to use a reminder, it would be for watching the show live so that I wouldn't forget, if busy, and if I were late I could rewind to the beginning.

Oh well, maybe there is a technical reason why it can't be done separately.
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:31   #114
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

I just switched on my Tivo and found that it had updated itself overnight.

It also took me less than 30 seconds to discover that I could indeed have my preferred default padding of -1/+1 or even 0/+1 if I wanted.

It is weird that you can't add more than 5 mins padding in total.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:32   #115
harry_hitch
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cambs
Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
Posts: 1,094
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by How many times Carl? [I
We all know that![/I] but we are discussing the new recording default settings.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:34   #116
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
As I understand it, I cannot use Reminders without recording the programme as well - well, that's just bloody useless. When I record a show, it's for watching it later and I don't need to be reminded. Were I to use a reminder, it would be for watching the show live so that I wouldn't forget, if busy, and if I were late I could rewind to the beginning.
Because you still need a tuner for watching whatever it is anyway, why not record it "just in case".

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

But it also demonstrates rather nicely why the reminder function is simply not required at all
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:39   #117
harry_hitch
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cambs
Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
Posts: 1,094
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Same here, although we only have one TiVo. I like to decide what to watch and when.

On another note, just in case I am missing something (don't think I am though). I was really pleased to see the Reminders function on the list of features - yes, I liked it very much on the V+ and I have missed it. Of course, I should have known it would not be as straightforward as that. As I understand it, I cannot use Reminders without recording the programme as well - well, that's just bloody useless. When I record a show, it's for watching it later and I don't need to be reminded. Were I to use a reminder, it would be for watching the show live so that I wouldn't forget, if busy, and if I were late I could rewind to the beginning.

Oh well, maybe there is a technical reason why it can't be done separately.
I did notice when playing about with reminders, that when the message comes up on the screen it gives you the option to cancel the recording! It also gives you all the relevant info so you can simply change the channel. Its not the easiest way of doing it, but you can at least cancel the recording and watch it live too.:-/
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 12:47   #118
starfish
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 73
starfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Because you still need a tuner for watching whatever it is anyway, why not record it "just in case".

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

But it also demonstrates rather nicely why the reminder function is simply not required at all
Since the hard drive is always almost full, this will either prevent scheduled programmes from recording or I will get a message that a reminder can't be set because the hard drive is full. No lectures about freeing some space, please.
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 13:13   #119
passingbat
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Just seen this posted by Mark Wilkin Help & Support Forum Manager on the Tivo forums


Quote:

Global settings – You can now set default recording options for new single recordings, Series Links, and WishLists
Did he leave the word 'some' out or did he think you could change them all?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...n/td-p/1357580
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2012, 13:25   #120
carlwaring
Permanently Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
Re: TiVo Update Coming! 13-24th August - Just got a message on my box

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Did he leave the word 'some' out or did he think you could change them all?
Seems like a perfectly understandable to me. Any new recordings will conform to the set defaults unless changed manually.

Where's the problem?
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:28.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum