Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
14-08-2012, 16:46
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Hi,
Currently have a V HD box and am thinking about Tivo for my bedroom, but was wondering how noises are they?
Also is quick install available for Tivo, where they send the box via a courier?
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 17:07
|
#2
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Apr 2011
Age: 59
Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
Posts: 3,722
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
As what noise there is (not much) is covered by the sound from the TV I'm not sure I'd personally want one in my bedroom as I like it quiet when trying to get to sleep. Just my opinion.
And no, they don't do a 'quick install' for Tivo as it's not as easy as you might think
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 17:50
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: West Herts
Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
Posts: 1,986
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
From what I hear, the TiVO is a lot quieter than the V+ boxes they replace, as they don't have a cooling fan in the back. Mind you , I have a V+ in the bedroom and it never disturbes me.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 18:16
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring
As what noise there is (not much) is covered by the sound from the TV I'm not sure I'd personally want one in my bedroom as I like it quiet when trying to get to sleep. Just my opinion.
And no, they don't do a 'quick install' for Tivo as it's not as easy as you might think 
|
Mine was, they just un plugged the V+ box and used those cables for the TiVo box. He plugged it all in, and left it updating whilst doing the install of the second box upstairs.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 18:25
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
I can see samsung tivos being as in the future, easier to install than any other box
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 18:44
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,666
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Our Tivo is in the living room and I always sleep like a log when consigned to the couch by Mrs Ghost
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 18:56
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
Posts: 4,729
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
I have the original (non Samsung) and find it virtually silent. Well, unless I sleep with my head resting on top of it, but I've pretty much stopped doing that doing that now
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 20:45
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Thanks another question.
I see it is £49.95 one off, does that include VM coming out to fit the box?
If not do you know how much they charge for it?
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 20:55
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Deepest pits of Hell
Age: 42
Posts: 4,964
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
For me, it was just the one off £49.95 fee, this included activation and install. If you are out of contract, go through to retentions and see what deal you can get.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 20:55
|
#10
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984
Mine was, they just un plugged the V+ box and used those cables for the TiVo box. He plugged it all in, and left it updating whilst doing the install of the second box upstairs.
|
The Tivo is an easy install *if you have the correct signal levels*. Tivos are a lot more sensitive to this than the other boxes. That is why they aren't a self install.
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 21:06
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2007
Services: Virgin Media TV XL and Phone Size M and
Broadband size L
V+HD and VHD
Posts: 235
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
The Tivo is an easy install *if you have the correct signal levels*. Tivos are a lot more sensitive to this than the other boxes. That is why they aren't a self install.
|
When I was a tech and installing the tivos I never had to change the signal levels. Maybe it was just luck?
|
|
|
14-08-2012, 21:07
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lincoln
Age: 50
Services: 350Mb (Hub 3) | TV: 2x TiVo on XL | Phone
Posts: 1,051
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
We was only installed today, as we had moved house, been without services for 7 days.
The men wired us up, as the house has never had VM before.
Both TV boxes Tivo in the frontroom and V HD, in my room has something screwed into the box that the wire attaches to.
Been playing around with the Tivo in the frontroom and I like it, that why I am thinking about having one in my room
__________________
Regards,
Gaz
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 07:50
|
#13
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart
The Tivo is an easy install *if you have the correct signal levels*. Tivos are a lot more sensitive to this than the other boxes. That is why they aren't a self install.
|
Myth! They use the same as all other boxes. So if your old box worked it's very unusual for the TiVo not to
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 08:20
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ipswich
Services: Ultimate ooomph
Posts: 402
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
We have a TiVo in the bedroom and it is far quieter than the Samsung V+ it replaced.
|
|
|
15-08-2012, 09:13
|
#15
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Tivo for bedroom how noises and install question
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66
Myth! They use the same as all other boxes. So if your old box worked it's very unusual for the TiVo not to
|
I didn't say that the boxes required different levels. Just from what I have been told they are more sensitive to the levels being slightly off.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:25.
|