Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
08-08-2012, 16:35
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
|
Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
I called VM yesterday in an effort to possibly save a bit of money and update my BB (Cable) from 10M to whatever was offered!
I felt it went well. I deleted the TV from my account as we have two FreeView PVR's already and have not used the ntl: TV box in ages (it's disconnected and in the loft!). Keeping the VM land line and 'upgrading' my 10M BB to 60M with free SH (self install).
My monthly cost has dropped £6 to £27.75. Which I am quite pleased with.
The reason for this post is simply to ask if there is anything regarding the SH self install I need to know, any useful tips etc?
I will be using the SH in MODEM only mode as I like my Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station etc.
Thanks.
|
|
|
08-08-2012, 16:46
|
#2
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,911
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
check power levels.
double check user posts, guides who are running the Apple router alongside the SH in modem mode.
return your old equipment > http://www.collectplus.co.uk/returns...from_postcode=
|
|
|
08-08-2012, 18:56
|
#3
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
yeah, it is going to be a bit of a ball ache but you need to have a search through the forum (or googling might be quicker). The shub doesnt like the airport extreme but there are a couple of very good threads people have made telling you what settings to put it to get it to work alriight. Stay strong and dont give in, you dont want to be using the shub in modem mode.
|
|
|
08-08-2012, 21:10
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
...Stay strong and dont give in, you dont want to be using the shub in modem mode.
|
Why don't I want to be using MODEM mode? I have no intention of using it in any other way. At the moment!
---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry
|
I asked about returning the old TV box and the guy asked his manager and said, and I quote. 'dispose of it yourself in an environmentally safe way'.
It's currently in the loft in a box! That's environmentally safe enough for now!
|
|
|
08-08-2012, 22:33
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
I think he meant you don't want to be using the Superhub in router mode.
|
|
|
09-08-2012, 07:14
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
thanks, typo
|
|
|
09-08-2012, 08:25
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
Thanks for the replies guy's. Sorry if I came across as a bit arrogant in my reply. I wasn't meant that way.
So it looks like my AirPort Extreme will work just fine with the SH in MODEM only mode according to posts I have read. Good news.
It is (hopefully) being delivered tomorrow (Friday). I hope SWMBO is out of her morning bath when the courier comes! Wonder if he/she could just leave the package in the porch?
Thanks.
|
|
|
10-08-2012, 20:03
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
Update:
Well, the SH came today as promised. The setup instructions were very easy.
As I use both an Apple AirPort Extreme Base Station and an AirPort Express 'extender' I initially powered them off. This was so they didn't interfere with the initial SH setup process.
I did the whole SH set-up via WiFi on my laptop connecting directly to the SH, obviously not by via my Apple kit. Rebooting the SH after over 30 minutes as the activation recording asked.
After a reboot, everything was working great and Internet was fine.
I then set the SH to MODEM only mode and connected my Apple routers as before. I bit tricky to start with as the Extreme couldn't connect to the Internet. Checking the setting the SH was on a different IP range. I just rebooted the SH again and now everything is back working as before. SH in MODEM mode and WiFi/LAN via Extreme/Express.
Speedtest.net confirms DL 61MB and UL3MB.
Lets see how stable it is over the coming hours/days/weeks.
I hope it's as stable as my 10MB package was!
Fingers crossed.
Thanks Guy/Gals. The information I gained from this forum was invaluable.
|
|
|
10-08-2012, 20:07
|
#9
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,911
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
good stuff. glad to hear you didnt have major issues connecting your Apple products
|
|
|
10-08-2012, 20:15
|
#10
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
yeah, nice to see it all went smoothly
|
|
|
10-08-2012, 20:52
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Manchester
Services: VM 200M
Posts: 144
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
Here is the results of the BT Speed Tester. Sorry the image is so small. If you click it, it does appear larger!
Capture.JPG
|
|
|
10-08-2012, 20:55
|
#12
|
|
XIV
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Crawley
Age: 36
Services: Three Unlimited
Posts: 16,911
|
Re: Upgrading 10M > 60M + SuperHub
stop speeding!
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:36.
|