Just got a warning letter
11-07-2012, 20:31
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
|
Just got a warning letter
Hi, Is there any software out there or any other way so I can monitor who is downloading too much as I have 7 other people with laptops at home and I have no idea how much they are downloading I asked them and no one is owning up! as I just got a letter of Virgin Media saying were downloading too much and there going to put us on traffic management!.. I just went into the superhub (upgraded yesterday) and it says that we downloaded 20GB on the first day!!! I NEED to find out who is downloading! any ideas how i can monitor!
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 20:41
|
#2
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77
Hi, Is there any software out there or any other way so I can monitor who is downloading too much as I have 7 other people with laptops at home and I have no idea how much they are downloading I asked them and no one is owning up! as I just got a letter of Virgin Media saying were downloading too much and there going to put us on traffic management!.. I just went into the superhub (upgraded yesterday) and it says that we downloaded 20GB on the first day!!! I NEED to find out who is downloading! any ideas how i can monitor!
|
Any chance you can copy the letter and put it on here, Make sure you remove identifiable information. It seems strange they are going back to there old ways again ??
As for tracking your bandwidth it would be difficult as you need to install the software on each laptop, The superhub is not so super when it come to tracking usage.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 20:45
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 954
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
20GB isn't really... that much, to be honest.
Think about it, the average HD bbc iPlayer program is 700mb to 1gb. Some software packages are more than 20GB...
In fact, I've already downloaded 32GB today according to the superhub, and thats mostly just from watching youtube streams and bbc iPlayer (yeah, it was a very slow day for me).
Also, I don't believe the counter on the superhub is hugely accurate.
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 20:48
|
#4
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar
20GB isn't really... that much, to be honest.
Think about it, the average HD bbc iPlayer program is 700mb to 1gb. Some software packages are more than 20GB...
In fact, I've already downloaded 32GB today according to the superhub, and thats mostly just from watching youtube streams and bbc iPlayer (yeah, it was a very slow day for me).
Also, I don't believe the counter on the superhub is hugely accurate.
|
Already done 150 gig this month in total so 20 gig by 7 users in one day is easily done.
BTW anyone who exceeds the limits set at certain times of the day will be STM'd.
http://help.virginmedia.com/system/s...MER_TYPE=Cable
http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/...shold_30Mb.pdf
http://shop.virginmedia.com/content/...shold_20Mb.pdf
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 20:54
|
#5
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,386
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
I've downloaded a bigger blueray than that
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 20:54
|
#6
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66
I've downloaded a bigger blueray than that
|
 That would be a Linux blueray
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 20:56
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD
>Phone M
Posts: 483
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
if you had extend the allowance i guess they will cape the line automatic with out sending letter
Or they system is not updated even they have made new policy?(general question)
Can you call them make sure they have not make any mistake?
and regards your question usually will need to install to each pc a band-witch meter and most are free and keep monitor in their laptop or get a good router where have monitor band-witch or pay some spy software(but i dont trust them even if they expensive because they must spy our pc too)
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 21:10
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
Any chance you can copy the letter and put it on here, Make sure you remove identifiable information. It seems strange they are going back to there old ways again ??
As for tracking your bandwidth it would be difficult as you need to install the software on each laptop, The superhub is not so super when it come to tracking usage.
|
OLD WAY's? I thought this was there policy for anyone who goes over there limit!? anyways I'll type the jist of it..
Dear Mr...
WANT A FASTER BROADBAND SERVICE IN THE EVENING? READ ON!
As you may know with Virgin Broadband we don't limit the amount that you can download. However, we've recently noticed an unusually large amount of data being transferred over your broadband connection (daily between mid-day and midnight) at our busiest network time and this may have resulted in your connection being managed under our traffic management policy.
then the letter goes on to giving me a few tips on managing my broadband performance...
1. move 'non time critical' usage to after midnight.
2. Make sure my PC's security is upto date & active.
3 Make sure my wifi is secure
4. Other members of your household eating up your connection.
they elaborate on the points above.
I have no idea how much download is too much so am worried that I might get another letter!..
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 21:14
|
#9
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77
OLD WAY's? I thought this was there policy for anyone who goes over there limit!? anyways I'll type the jist of it..
Dear Mr...
WANT A FASTER BROADBAND SERVICE IN THE EVENING? READ ON!
As you may know with Virgin Broadband we don't limit the amount that you can download. However, we've recently noticed an unusually large amount of data being transferred over your broadband connection (daily between mid-day and midnight) at our busiest network time and this may have resulted in your connection being managed under our traffic management policy.
then the letter goes on to giving me a few tips on managing my broadband performance...
1. move 'non time critical' usage to after midnight.
2. Make sure my PC's security is upto date & active.
3 Make sure my wifi is secure
4. Other members of your household eating up your connection.
they elaborate on the points above.
I have no idea how much download is too much so am worried that I might get another letter!..
|
I used to get letters like that all the time ,they are just advice letters to avoid traffic management ,ignore it or if you are bothered about being managed follow the advice
|
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 21:17
|
#10
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,098
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77
OLD WAY's? I thought this was there policy for anyone who goes over there limit!? anyways I'll type the jist of it..
Dear Mr...
WANT A FASTER BROADBAND SERVICE IN THE EVENING? READ ON!
As you may know with Virgin Broadband we don't limit the amount that you can download. However, we've recently noticed an unusually large amount of data being transferred over your broadband connection (daily between mid-day and midnight) at our busiest network time and this may have resulted in your connection being managed under our traffic management policy.
then the letter goes on to giving me a few tips on managing my broadband performance...
1. move 'non time critical' usage to after midnight.
2. Make sure my PC's security is upto date & active.
3 Make sure my wifi is secure
4. Other members of your household eating up your connection.
they elaborate on the points above.
I have no idea how much download is too much so am worried that I might get another letter!..
|
Thats a lot less nasty than the old letters that were sent out, I know I had one of them.
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 21:26
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius
Thats a lot less nasty than the old letters that were sent out, I know I had one of them.
|
lol yeh it was'nt that threatening but i would like to know how much in total we all download a month..
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 21:30
|
#12
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
everyone is stm'd during certain hours of the day as soon as they download more than a few gb so what they are have said in the letter applies to everyone all the time, they arent going to be doing anything special to punish you. It cracks me up though when these letters come out because I never understand what the criteria are for being sent one. The people I see get them download hardly anything at all yet I can download 120gb a day and never get one (I am not saying I do now but i have done in the past)
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 21:54
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lancashire
Services: SkyHD, Virgin Media 100MB
Posts: 39
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g
if you had extend the allowance i guess they will cape the line automatic with out sending letter
Or they system is not updated even they have made new policy?(general question)
Can you call them make sure they have not make any mistake?
and regards your question usually will need to install to each pc a band-witch meter and most are free and keep monitor in their laptop or get a good router where have monitor band-witch or pay some spy software(but i dont trust them even if they expensive because they must spy our pc too)
|
No I don't think they've made a mistake we do use our broadband a lot. I didn't know that routers could monitor bandwidth I have a good router (Asus RT-N56U) so will check it out...
Thanks.
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 22:08
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 52
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
if you have a ddwrt router you can run a script that will monitor bandwidth usage per users and have a web page up refreshing the data every 10 seconds
|
|
|
11-07-2012, 22:13
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Services: >100Mb<TV M+,TiVo 1T,V HD
>Phone M
Posts: 483
|
Re: Just got a warning letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dex77
lol yeh it was'nt that threatening but i would like to know how much in total we all download a month..
|
they counting by some specific hours each day
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/table_30mb_800px2.jpg
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:35.
|