Quote:
Originally Posted by watzizname
Saving lives i would think is justification enough, but then I'm not running a private biotech company who's priorities are bound to be somewhat different to others, where the motivation is born out of a desire to actually help those in need, and results aren't determined by the bottom line.
Unfortunately, i think those kind of people, with the required resources are few and far between, and these days at least, found only in movies or a history book..
|
A few years back, I was working as a freight forwarder. One of my major clients (the other being Addis) was Pfizer. We handled the paperwork for a lot of their Middle Eastern exports. There were a lot of these, the value of some of which ran into the millions. As such, I built up a few friends that worked in their complex in Sandwich. I was talking to one of them one day, and the price of drugs came up. Due you know how much (even in 1990) it cost to develop a new drug? £1m? 2? 10? Nope. Try £100m and up.
I was surprised at this, but think about it. The scientists capable of developing this stuff are not cheap, and even once you have employed the scientists, they need time to develop and test the medicine. They will then need time to develop a way to manufacture that medicine (you can have the best medicine in the world, but if you have no way to manufacture thousands of copies, it's not viable). This can take several years. They then need to test the manufactured medicine using various methodologies (which I was told can take up to 10 years). Over time, they refine the manufacturing process to bring the costs down as much as possible, so medicine does get cheaper.
I suspect that the cheaper companies bypass all this cost because they simply get hold of the finished product and reverse-engineer it.
To get back on subject, I read that one of the problems with Stem Cell based medication is that is has to be custom made for the patient. This is going to make it expensive. You'll probably find that a few people on the NHS will get the treatment while it's still experimental (and sponsored by the manufacturer), but after that, the authorities will start to look at each case and think "Ok, we can pay for the medication for one person, or we can pay for heart operations for 10 others". Which do they go for?