I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
13-11-2011, 18:35
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,798
|
I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Today for TWO MINUTES, people of this country stood still to remember what the our armed forces do to give us the peace that we have to remember.
BUT, l was angry that where l was today, l could not believe that at 11.00 NOT one person stood still, and that included old and young people people, and people that should have known better.
People just carried on as if nothing was happening, shops were still serving people instead of standing still, it was so annoying.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 18:38
|
#2
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,055
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Arthur, whilst I share your dismay, if we have to make people stand still for two minutes under compulsion, it sort of defeats the point of the sacrifice the fallen made.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 18:46
|
#3
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu
Today for TWO MINUTES, people of this country stood still to remember what the our armed forces do to give us the peace that we have to remember.
BUT, l was angry that where l was today, l could not believe that at 11.00 NOT one person stood still, and that included old and young people people, and people that should have known better.
People just carried on as if nothing was happening, shops were still serving people instead of standing still, it was so annoying. 
|
Yes Arthur ,life goes on ,that is what the soldiers fought and died for .The fact that people can continue to shop means the soldiers did their duty and would i think be happy so less outrage and more realism
|
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 18:50
|
#4
|
|
vox populi vox dei
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 15,597
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
i was in tesco at 11am on friday and the whole shop came to a standstill and fell into silence .
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 18:59
|
#5
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
It's Sunday, Arthur! Ohh I see what you mean...
|
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 19:00
|
#6
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
You should have said something, Arthur.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 19:03
|
#7
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,099
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu
Today for TWO MINUTES, people of this country stood still to remember what the our armed forces do to give us the peace that we have to remember.
BUT, l was angry that where l was today, l could not believe that at 11.00 NOT one person stood still, and that included old and young people people, and people that should have known better.
People just carried on as if nothing was happening, shops were still serving people instead of standing still, it was so annoying. 
|
To quote one of your other posts
Quote:
|
Nine times out of ten if you are in the street, you may see someone getting attacked, go and help, don't just stand around and look
|
To be honest people don't want to stand still in your area, They might get attacked
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 19:13
|
#8
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L
You should have said something, Arthur.
|
|
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 19:36
|
#9
|
|
Remoaner
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,021
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Actually to be honest I always thought that the 11/11 was when we had the silence. I was out at around 11am today and didn't notice anyone stopping.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 19:37
|
#10
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,055
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
I think there is normally two minutes silence if a service is taking place on the Sunday after 11/11, but not anywhere else.
We had two minutes silence at work on Friday (voluntary, not compulsory).
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 19:38
|
#11
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien
Actually to be honest I always thought that the 11/11 was when we had the silence. I was out at around 11am today and didn't notice anyone stopping.
|
There's two. 11/11 (Armistce Day) and the nearest Sunday (Rememberance Sunday).
|
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 20:03
|
#12
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury
There's two. 11/11 (Armistce Day) and the nearest Sunday (Rememberance Sunday).
|
both the same day next year ,nice and convenient
|
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 20:24
|
#13
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh
both the same day next year ,nice and convenient 
|
So do we have to do a 4mins silence?
Suppose it'll be the last time as well, what with the end of the world on 21st December...
|
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 20:27
|
#14
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,798
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
Just TWO MINUTES, to stand pay there respect to the fallen, thats all it is.
|
|
|
13-11-2011, 20:31
|
#15
|
|
Guest
|
Re: I Cannot believe it - don't people know what today is
I must admit, whilst watching the TV earlier. I was wondering if a certain Charlie was also watching the telly in his warm prison cell discovering what the Cenotaph really was.
|
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 18:58.
|