Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 19:58   #1
mertle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...les-jobseekers

Goto be the biggest ballony tripe rules ever who ever did that survey about jobseeker only did 8 mins searching obvously never ever did proper survey just lied there way to make out those dont look for work.

I would say on average its more 40 mins in line with others large majority spend 2-3 hours some alot more. Even filling job aplication/covering letter would take more 8 mins more like 1 hour. Just looking through ads properly or going to jobcentre takes more time. Thats not including those who goto library seek company information scouring web job searches.

Quite frankly who did this survey need shooting its pure malicious lies. Why is the paper not questioning the findings accepting its results as gospel. No doubt the national propaganda train to the workshy to make why these rules are needed.

How they hell they expect comuting to 90miles is beyond me is cameron pea brained who gonna fund all these jobless to job interviews upto 90miles away. Then he will be moaning the travelling costs of benefits agency too high pure madness.

Also consider this anybody unemployed will tell you can only do so much that funds permit. Jobseekers dont even cover enough funds for such heavy target get job you can only budget so much for interviews/stamps/stationary. Do me favour get out the cushy job do it yourself cameron lets see you do miracles and trying to live too. So hope he gets off that fat backside get in real world including your cronies get on JSA you do what your preaching you numbskull.

I know there will be critics to what I posted as too many got head in the sand tow this crazy propaganda train about workshy. Think this out do you actually believ the national average was 8 mins this finally caught this government in lies wish the papers challenge it.

I been there no way on this earth this is average I spent hours it takes lots of time its costly to do properly. I dont think everybody workshy as this suggesting do lots research scouring application/letters/Cv work.

You budget it at depending the weeks some light some heavier. Furthest I aplied got interview was further than 90 miles but I wanted to relocate in area as new it visiting for years. There many areas in 90m would never relocate as hate the areas. I got transport costs paid now if they force many to this then there transport budget would dry up I believe there ceiling. Now I am sure some willing to go further than the town they live too so what is the exact point this stupidty apart from electioneering.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2011, 20:06   #2
v0id
[CENSORED]
 
v0id's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Wolverhampton
Age: 48
Posts: 4,218
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

90 minutes commute not miles. Hasn't the jobseekers agreement always had this?
__________________
Help save the world from loosers

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:14   #3
Ignitionnet
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

I don't believe the propaganda train about the workshy, I do believe official statistics that show immigrants taking over 90% of jobs created this parliament.

I'm also fine with the survey about minutes per day spent job hunting:

Quote:
The first, published by Princeton economists for the Institute for the Study of Labour
A rather curious bunch to be skewing statistics to favour the British government don't you think?

I understand the confusion about minutes and miles, the story says minutes in the header and text and miles in the caption, although this is the Guardian.

The current requirement is usually 60 minutes commute I believe however this depends.

I would imagine there being some flexibility built into this as well. Clearly asking someone to commute 90 minutes for minimum wage is absurd.

Quote:
For the first time, a reasonable offer will specify jobs which take up to an hour and a half to travel to.
Minimum wage 90 minutes away is hardly a 'reasonable offer' so no worries. For the kind of wage I earn 90 minutes away is a perfectly reasonable offer.

I suspect the stress and responsibility levels of the 'cushy' job you seem to think the Prime Minister has are a tad higher than our professions mertle.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:15   #4
martyh
Guest
 
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
90 minutes commute not miles. Hasn't the jobseekers agreement always had this?

I think they have ,and it's a 90 minute radius so not that bad at all .I think most people will take about 40-45 mins to get to work even working what would be considered locally .If i travel from Newcastle to North shields about 6 miles it would take at least 40mins in peak time
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:34   #5
Hom3r
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
 
Hom3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

Question on 90 Mins some muppet in the JC reckoned that a 90 min travel for a job on minimum wage was acceptable.

90 miles is what I travel to go on holiday

You cannot physically spend your entire waking hours looking for work.

I was signed up to 14+ job agencies, and added others as I found them, I was sent job specs that matched my profile.

I checked the emails daily, and the job sites every other day, rarely did anything during this time every week.

What they need to do is make it so that you get a response to any job that you apply to a company, I sent out in one day 28 of which 20 didn't bother to say SFA, 7 said sorry no vacancies, on one called me in to do a temp job (no Interview), and I'm in my 6th month. I'm due to find out if I'm being extended again.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:50   #6
mertle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

I thank you to notice errors in report its 90 mins which is fair timeframe.

Still dont buy the survey it to me is very low even if there 300,000 workshy. There enough unemployed who doing a good jobsearch to ofset those bad apples. So was Every single claiment checked did they deliberate select weak candidates.

I actually tried to wangle free stamps/stationary when I was doing it got myself into jobclub 2/3 times but rules say you cant hog it. Its like they put obstacles in the way rather than help you.

Another obstacle part time employment rules especially single adults. I always thought if they relaxed the rulings many could take partime jobs. I could'nt due to never got enough wage with part time. You did not qualify for help lost ALL benefit so for I cant remember of hand 16 hours the limit.

Now if they change the JSA to days say work 2 you should get the 3 days JSA. Obviously its still means tested to how much you got paid. You keep some benefits you rent etc adjusted within whole financial package you earn. As you low paid you get the similar benefits as unemployed. Government REDUCE its Benefits payments to likely quite few who would then be able to take up thes part time positions.

I think thats much better change make a real change which makes it easier to take part time positions.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 20:55   #7
Ignitionnet
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
Still dont buy the survey it to me is very low even if there 300,000 workshy.
I repeat, why would a survey by two economists in an Ivy League university in the USA intentionally misreport the situation in the US?

I find it far easier to disbelieve Labour government research suggesting that our jobseekers spend half as much time again looking for work as the unemployment benefits time limited US and twice as long as France than a couple of economists in New Jersey doing a study covering multiple nations.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:03   #8
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

I'm all in favour of these extra hoops for us to jump through providing we can expect an increase in benefit.
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:14   #9
Ignitionnet
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I'm all in favour of these extra hoops for us to jump through providing we can expect an increase in benefit.
You may want to rephrase that a bit.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:17   #10
Russ
cf.mega poster
 
Russ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Half in the corporeal, half in the etheral
Posts: 37,182
Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

Really?
__________________
Heavy Is The Crown
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:20   #11
Gary L
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

90 mins at 90 miles an hour (when the new law comes in) will be 120 miles radius.
so that's 240 miles a day, 1200 miles a week, at an approx cost of £180 per week.

sounds plausible to me
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:22   #12
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,059
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

Title amended to reflect article in OP
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:35   #13
mertle
Inactive
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Question on 90 Mins some muppet in the JC reckoned that a 90 min travel for a job on minimum wage was acceptable.

90 miles is what I travel to go on holiday

You cannot physically spend your entire waking hours looking for work.

I was signed up to 14+ job agencies, and added others as I found them, I was sent job specs that matched my profile.

I checked the emails daily, and the job sites every other day, rarely did anything during this time every week.

What they need to do is make it so that you get a response to any job that you apply to a company, I sent out in one day 28 of which 20 didn't bother to say SFA, 7 said sorry no vacancies, on one called me in to do a temp job (no Interview), and I'm in my 6th month. I'm due to find out if I'm being extended again.
I fully agree to add some horrors at the workings.

Biggest thing I hate about this whole system is they EXPECT replys you dont always. I actually had 70% return which by most standards is brilliant that satisfied many how hard I was trying except one dizzy moo. Problem is they have atitude they DONT BELIEVE YOU. They then PHONE companies. That right they actually spread NEGATIVE to application.

I know a advisor yes that dizzy moo dispite ten replys I had still wanted to find out if replied to one she issued from last visit. She Phoned up the company told her thanks thats lost case now. I know Personel Officer many of them would bin that applicant as he deemed untrustworthy if the Jobcentre checking they applied. I had it out to one silly moo who phoned.


If they kept there nose out actually trust people shown by get quite few replys have had interviews then accept they trying. I accept they have to monitor but has to be tactful they surely know those they deem suspect dont phone companies up.

Example of the level I went I phoned for job which the secretary said it was tight deadline think 3 days they would send application. Got application form which but it came on deadline day. Worst it had to go to head office 90 miles away. I was at the jobclub at the time asked if I could leave after filling it in. It was checked it was very good and met my skills so he thought that sort willingness would give me brownee points. He trusted me as knew how much I put in job searching new I would do it.

Handed it in like he said make sure secretary put hand delivered got back job club just before closure to tell him they got it. Days past nothing returned he told be ring the firm from jobclub and the secretary said it was unsuccessful. Jobclub then said he wanted the phone asked to speak higher person. He gave them hell as they never had the curtesey to reply to hand delivered application who at short notice had driven 90 miles to hand it in. He told them surely it deserved special consideration the bloke at the firm admitted they been failures asked to speak to me. He apologised told me would be priority for interview for next suitable position. Never heared them again its sickening how some firms act at times. I will say its prominent insurance company who changed its name which has lost its identy of its original home. Say no more work it out.
mertle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:38   #14
Ignitionnet
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Really?
Yes, unless it was so dry I missed the irony
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 21:41   #15
alferret
Inactive
 
alferret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Mansfield
Age: 60
Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
Posts: 5,532
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Re: new rules for jobseeker must take jobs within 90 minute radius

I travel 16 miles each way, obeying the speed limit it takes me 40 mins. So in reality unless you live on top of a motorway junction & the job offered was on a junction a more realistic radius would be around 35 miles of home.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 21:30.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum