iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
29-08-2011, 19:50
|
#31
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,032
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
If you feel the need for flash on the iPad2, you can purchase the puffin browser for 69p from iTunes.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 20:14
|
#32
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,313
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
I'm thinking of getting an iPad 2, but is it better to get one of the competitor products? 
|
My advice mate is go for the ipad 2 you'll love it , my only gripe is the lack of flash support but this is outweighed by how intuitive a device it is and the vast array of useful apps available.
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 20:23
|
#33
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 20:49
|
#34
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
You won't need a screen protector but maybe something to protect the rear of the iPad.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 20:55
|
#35
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Good choice
What I have for my iPad2:
Apple iPad 2 Smart Cover (blue polyurethane) - covers the front, acts as a stand.
Cool Bananas SmartShell for iPad 2 (black) - covers the back (one problem with the Smart Cover is that - unlike folio cases etc - it leaves the back exposed)
Moshi iVisor AG for iPad 2 (black) - anti-glare screen protector. More expensive than some, but very easy to apply, as it only sticks to the border.
I also have a Belkin neoprene sleeve, bought from Amazon. It's actually meant for the iPad 1, but still fits my iPad 2 even with the Smart Cover and the back shell thing.
As to whether you need a screen protector... that depends. I'm a paranoid obsessive compulsive, and my iPad 2 *must* be kept safe and secure  , but you may not really need a protector yourself. The Smart Cover already gives protection when the iPad is not in use, so do you need anything for when it's being used? Still, for the price of the one you linked to, why not?
|
|
|
29-08-2011, 21:05
|
#36
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
Good choice
What I have for my iPad2:
Apple iPad 2 Smart Cover (blue polyurethane) - covers the front, acts as a stand.
Cool Bananas SmartShell for iPad 2 (black) - covers the back (one problem with the Smart Cover is that - unlike folio cases etc - it leaves the back exposed)
Moshi iVisor AG for iPad 2 (black) - anti-glare screen protector. More expensive than some, but very easy to apply, as it only sticks to the border.
I also have a Belkin neoprene sleeve, bought from Amazon. It's actually meant for the iPad 1, but still fits my iPad 2 even with the Smart Cover and the back shell thing.
As to whether you need a screen protector... that depends. I'm a paranoid obsessive compulsive, and my iPad 2 *must* be kept safe and secure  , but you may not really need a protector yourself. The Smart Cover already gives protection when the iPad is not in use, so do you need anything for when it's being used? Still, for the price of the one you linked to, why not?
|
Ok I will get the protector screen. It's only £1.25 on ebay
That cool Bananas thing is quite good, but I am not sure how much protection the back needs... I mean even if it gets dented, as long as it fully works I'm ok with it lol... (don't think I need the sleeve)
---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
You won't need a screen protector but maybe something to protect the rear of the iPad.
|
As mentioned above, looking at the iPad in Currys today, the back seemed very strong! Not too fussed about a dent here or there to be honest.
|
|
|
30-08-2011, 00:08
|
#37
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder
For example newgrounds.com refuses to work on many if not all Android devices. A site built from the ground up with Flash in mind should in my opinion work on a device (or o/s) which merits itself on being compatible with this technology thus making it stand out from iPad. Just now I have tried newgrounds.com on my HTC Desire using Firefox and it fails.
|
Works fine for me, on both my HTC Desire and Samsung Galaxy S II both using their default built-in Android browsers. Last I checked, Firefox was not part of Android nor does it support Flash, so blaming it for Flash not working is hardly fair.
|
|
|
02-09-2011, 20:38
|
#38
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London, HA0
Age: 38
Posts: 1,031
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Ok, just got the iPad today... VERYYYYYY NICE!!!
Loving it
A couple of quick questions:
1. So they took my debit card details for itunes store. BUTTT, if someone else is using the iPad (especially naughty kids), then how does it work when it comes to paid apps? I haven't tried to download any paid apps yet incase it charges me without asking for a pw or anything. Is there a password that iTunes asks for a paid app? (surely it must?)
2. Which good (free) apps should I get? I can only think of Angry Birds at the moment
|
|
|
02-09-2011, 20:55
|
#39
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
It will always ask for your password, even for a free app, so make sure the kids don't know it.
|
|
|
02-09-2011, 21:14
|
#40
|
|
R.I.P.
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
No it won't so be wary of assuming it will. If you put the password in it wont ask again for a short while so make sure kids don't touch it at that point.
|
|
|
02-09-2011, 21:54
|
#41
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,567
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
aha ... thanks for the warning
|
|
|
02-09-2011, 23:31
|
#42
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
2. Which good (free) apps should I get? I can only think of Angry Birds at the moment
|
I have a list somewhere which I'll try & remember to post up tomorrow.
|
|
|
03-09-2011, 12:58
|
#43
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Angry birds wasn't free on iOS last I checked. Only the Android version is free.
|
|
|
03-09-2011, 13:04
|
#44
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
Angry birds wasn't free on iOS last I checked. Only the Android version is free.
|
Theres a demo version though isn't there? the first 20 levels or something.
|
|
|
03-09-2011, 14:05
|
#45
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: iPad 2 vs Samsung Galaxy Tab vs Other Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk
2. Which good (free) apps should I get? I can only think of Angry Birds at the moment
|
Some of these are free, some are not (I know you said "free", but you shouldn't be put off paid apps - some are cheap and definitely worth it). You should also regularly check the App Store, as some apps get reduced or go completely free every now & then (e.g. iD Software's "Rage HD" was free a couple of weeks ago). I can't think of any decent free games myself - I have some which were free, but only as they were on offer.
Stream live Freeview TV to your iPad using TVCatchup.com (so long as you have a TV Licence of course):
Sign up for free at TV Catchup, and then simply visit http://ipad.tvcatchup.com/ using your iPad's browser.
BBC iPlayer official app (better than using the browser) [free]
4oD Catch Up [free]
ITV Player [free]
BBC News [free]
Engadget for iPad [free]
Skype for iPad [free]
Twitter [free]
Atomic Web Browser (alternative to Safari, has tabs & other features not found on mobile Safari, plus is better at remembering passwords) [£0.69]
Dropbox (access Dropbox cloud storage on the iPad) [free]
File Browser (access shared folders & NAS drives on the iPad) [£2.49]
iWork productivity suite (Pages, Keynote, Numbers) [£6.99 each]
Play iTunes-unfriendly videos, such as Xvids in the .avi container...
1) Sync on to the iPad with iTunes, and play with CineXPlayer [£1.99].
or
2) Stream to the iPad using Air Video [£1.99].
Some games...
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP [£2.99] (retro adventure game, with an absolutely gorgeous soundtrack by Jim Guthrie)
Infinity Blade [£3.99] (hack 'n' slash action, optimised for the iPad 2...)
Real Racing 2 HD [£4.99] (optimised for the iPad 2...)
Rage HD [£1.49] (optimised for the iPad 2...)
Dead Space for iPad [£1.49] (optimised for the iPad 2...)
Real Racing 2 HD on an iPad 2
Real Racing 2 HD on an iPad 2, connected via HDMI to an HDTV
Infinity Blade on an iPad 2
Dead Space HD on an iPad 2
Rage HD on the iPad 2
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:09.
|