VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
23-08-2011, 09:36
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 90
|
VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
I'm a current subscriber to astraweb unlimited. I found that downloading through of any the ports supported by Astraweb would not go higher than 0.2mb and then the speed would gradually decrease to 0. This was outside peak hours, e.g. after 9pm and I have tried downloading at midnight just to be sure. This has only started happening within the past 3 days and wondering if VM is now throttling usenet?
Quote:
General Servers (Non SSL) on ports 119, 23, 1818 or 8080:
- news.astraweb.com
- eu.news.astraweb.com (European servers)
- us.news.astraweb.com (U.S. servers)
Secure Servers (SSL) on ports 443 or 563.
- ssl.astraweb.com
- ssl-eu.astraweb.com (European servers)
- ssl-us.astraweb.com (U.S. servers)
|
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 09:59
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
They have been for months. Runs from 5pm to midnight weekdays and midday to midnight weekends.
http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/tra...nt-policy.html
If it was still slow after midnight then maybe some other problem?
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 10:02
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Try both SSL ports (your usenet software will have to support SSL) as you'll probably find that one gives better speeds than the other..
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 10:42
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Are you downloading wired or wireless?
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 20:02
|
#5
|
|
Artist of Light and Shade
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London
Posts: 234
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
I use Giganews which comes with a VPN solution which works for me.
|
|
|
23-08-2011, 21:11
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 90
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
|
I have seen that table before and it doesn't state anywhere of traffic management from 5pm to midnight weekdays and midday to midnight weekends?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
Try both SSL ports (your usenet software will have to support SSL) as you'll probably find that one gives better speeds than the other..
|
Have tried ssl and I get this error message from sabnzbd: 502 Your per-user connection limit reached
Which is strange because im not sharing my astraweb account with anyone, will check this with astraweb support
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker Walker
Are you downloading wired or wireless?
|
wireless. I have been downloading through wireless pefectly fine up until a couple of days ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten
I use Giganews which comes with a VPN solution which works for me.
|
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 07:05
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil
Have tried ssl and I get this error message from sabnzbd: 502 Your per-user connection limit reached
Which is strange because im not sharing my astraweb account with anyone, will check this with astraweb support .
|
That's common when trying to use all the connections, the previous ones don't have time to log out before your news program creates new ones..
I'm on 10Mb and find that 6 connections will give me full speed. You should only ever use the minimum connections needed to get the speed you need as too many connections can slow you down as the connection gets overloaded.
Which VM BB service are you on?
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 07:17
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by basil
I have seen that table before and it doesn't state anywhere of traffic management from 5pm to midnight weekdays and midday to midnight weekends?
|
Should've gone to SpecSavers ..
Quote:
File sharing
We moderate the total volume of file sharing traffic on our network between 5pm and midnight on weekdays and midday and midnight on weekends. This policy, which applies to all broadband packages, is restricted to Peer to Peer ("P2P") applications and Newsgroups (which are commonly used to distribute large amounts of data)
|
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 08:14
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
I don't use newsgroups but from what I've seen posted just using SSL bypasses the VM traffic management anyway. Seems they must only be using shallow packet inspection
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 09:15
|
#11
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
I have always used the VM newsgroups and as an example of traffic management, last night i tried to refresh a group and was only getting 120k/sec (about 23:30) and now I am blasting away at a solid 6mb/sec and it is 10:16. It is just choosing the right time of day dude.
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 11:22
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
I don't use newsgroups but from what I've seen posted just using SSL bypasses the VM traffic management anyway. Seems they must only be using shallow packet inspection 
|
It would kinda defeat the point of SSL/TLS if you could inspect what the payload is easily
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 14:01
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC,
FoxSat HDR for TV,
Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
I doubt it takes much processing power to figure out what a direct SSL connection to an IP owned by one of the common news servers is carrying. If it was a private VPN then I guess that would be different.
|
|
|
24-08-2011, 16:03
|
#14
|
|
Grumpy Fecker
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Warrington
Age: 66
Services: Every Weekend
Posts: 17,105
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
I doubt it takes much processing power to figure out what a direct SSL connection to an IP owned by one of the common news servers is carrying. If it was a private VPN then I guess that would be different.
|
My VPN means i don't understand what Shaping is because i dont suffer from it
__________________
Do yourself a favour and ditch Microsoft and their Spyware infested OS
I am a happy Linux user
https://nobaraproject.org/
|
|
|
25-08-2011, 10:42
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 90
|
Re: VM Throttling Usenet (Port 119, 1818, 23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
That's common when trying to use all the connections, the previous ones don't have time to log out before your news program creates new ones..
I'm on 10Mb and find that 6 connections will give me full speed. You should only ever use the minimum connections needed to get the speed you need as too many connections can slow you down as the connection gets overloaded.
Which VM BB service are you on?
|
I will give this a shot and let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus
I have always used the VM newsgroups and as an example of traffic management, last night i tried to refresh a group and was only getting 120k/sec (about 23:30) and now I am blasting away at a solid 6mb/sec and it is 10:16. It is just choosing the right time of day dude.
|
Ah man I hope this isn't the case, but wouldn't surprise me if it is :S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks
I doubt it takes much processing power to figure out what a direct SSL connection to an IP owned by one of the common news servers is carrying. If it was a private VPN then I guess that would be different.
|
I think i remember reading a cf post somewhere that virgin media just simply monitors the volume of traffic going in and out and doesn't need to inpsect what the traffic is. So i don't think there is anyway to by pass their shaping policy..
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 20:42.
|