Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pc Engineering or Network administrator

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2011, 14:33   #16
LSainsbury
Guest
 
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Ahhh Novell Netware - the first network OS I had the dis-pleasure to use....
  Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2011, 14:44   #17
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

I started when it was 2.41.. The clients ran on DOS or UNIX and the server even needed DOS and wasn't standalone, got a lot nicer with later versions.. It though wasn't my first professional OS, that honor goes to VMS when I worked for DEC in the late 80's
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:48   #18
Dai
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
It though wasn't my first professional OS, that honor goes to VMS when I worked for DEC in the late 80's
Ahhh, memories of ancient kit..

I never got my hands on VMS but I worked RSTS for a while. Not bad for an ancient OS.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 14:57   #19
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

VAX workstations and the 6000/8000 mainframes were more prevalent when I started there.. There was a few PDP11-750's about running RSTS but apart from loading TK50's into them we left them to the engineers who used them.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 19:13   #20
LSainsbury
Guest
 
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

When I started out, I got some work experience at a large local company - I had the choice of PC support or mainframe operator - think I made the correct decision...
  Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 19:19   #21
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

I started off as system admin, then the RAF bolstered my electronics experience so when I came out I moved to component level repair tech. Then migrated back to servers when I got compag certified.. Finally finished as a support tech with a few large and small companies eventually finishing my IT career as mentioned earlier as a 4th line/specialist troubleshooter..

I'd never want to go back into IT as these days I'd tell a customer exactly how everything is their fault but I still enjoy IT as a hobby and keep up with my electronics.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 20:19   #22
idi banashapan
step on my trip
 
idi banashapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,766
idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post

I'd never want to go back into IT as these days I'd tell a customer exactly how everything is their fault but I still enjoy IT as a hobby and keep up with my electronics.
honesty is always the best policy!! seen enough PEBCAKs and ID:10T errors to last a lifetime.
__________________
“Most people don’t listen to understand. They listen to reply. Be different.”

- Jefferson Fisher
idi banashapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 20:38   #23
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Yep.. I'm sure we could tell a few tales, like the person who thought a right click on the mouse was Moving it first to the right then left clicking.. Or after many failed back-ups to find that half the company was turning off their monitors instead of turning off the PC
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 21:07   #24
Dai
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
I had the choice of PC support or mainframe operator
I did the sideways shift from mainframes. Started out as operator on Burroughs B3500 and B4700 mainframes running MCP. Then a spell writing cobol and a bit of assembler. Then downsized gradually via DEC PDP-series and S100-bus MP/M Z80 systems, finally arriving at PCs.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 21:27   #25
lop
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 77
lop is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Yep.. I'm sure we could tell a few tales, like the person who thought a right click on the mouse was Moving it first to the right then left clicking.. Or after many failed back-ups to find that half the company was turning off their monitors instead of turning off the PC
you know.......this is what am talking about
lop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 21:58   #26
Dai
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Whatever you do lop, it's going to be both satisfying and frustrating. The majority of employers don't understand what you do. They want it fast, reliable and cheap.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the employers that I have had who really understood what I did and what it was truly worth.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 22:01   #27
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Whatever you do lop, it's going to be both satisfying and frustrating. The majority of employers don't understand what you do. They want it fast, reliable and cheap.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the employers that I have had who really understood what I did and what it was truly worth.
QFT

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 22:37   #28
lop
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 77
lop is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Whatever you do lop, it's going to be both satisfying and frustrating. The majority of employers don't understand what you do. They want it fast, reliable and cheap.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the employers that I have had who really understood what I did and what it was truly worth.
reasons?
lop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:45   #29
Dai
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lop View Post
reasons?
'Cos they is stupid?
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 07:17   #30
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator

Also it's NEVER their fault.. Instead it's always the fault of either the stupid machine or the last person who came to fix it (even if that was 5 years ago)

Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:14.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum