Pc Engineering or Network administrator
13-08-2011, 14:33
|
#16
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Ahhh Novell Netware - the first network OS I had the dis-pleasure to use....
|
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 14:44
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
I started when it was 2.41.. The clients ran on DOS or UNIX and the server even needed DOS and wasn't standalone, got a lot nicer with later versions.. It though wasn't my first professional OS, that honor goes to VMS when I worked for DEC in the late 80's
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 14:48
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
It though wasn't my first professional OS, that honor goes to VMS when I worked for DEC in the late 80's
|
Ahhh, memories of ancient kit..
I never got my hands on VMS but I worked RSTS for a while. Not bad for an ancient OS.
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 14:57
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
VAX workstations and the 6000/8000 mainframes were more prevalent when I started there.. There was a few PDP11-750's about running RSTS but apart from loading TK50's into them we left them to the engineers who used them.
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 19:13
|
#20
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
When I started out, I got some work experience at a large local company - I had the choice of PC support or mainframe operator - think I made the correct decision...
|
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 19:19
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
I started off as system admin, then the RAF bolstered my electronics experience so when I came out I moved to component level repair tech. Then migrated back to servers when I got compag certified.. Finally finished as a support tech with a few large and small companies eventually finishing my IT career as mentioned earlier as a 4th line/specialist troubleshooter..
I'd never want to go back into IT as these days I'd tell a customer exactly how everything is their fault  but I still enjoy IT as a hobby and keep up with my electronics.
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 20:19
|
#22
|
|
step on my trip
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,766
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
I'd never want to go back into IT as these days I'd tell a customer exactly how everything is their fault  but I still enjoy IT as a hobby and keep up with my electronics.
|
honesty is always the best policy!! seen enough PEBCAKs and ID:10T errors to last a lifetime.
__________________
“Most people don’t listen to understand. They listen to reply. Be different.”
- Jefferson Fisher
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 20:38
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Yep.. I'm sure we could tell a few tales, like the person who thought a right click on the mouse was Moving it first to the right then left clicking.. Or after many failed back-ups to find that half the company was turning off their monitors instead of turning off the PC
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 21:07
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury
I had the choice of PC support or mainframe operator
|
I did the sideways shift from mainframes. Started out as operator on Burroughs B3500 and B4700 mainframes running MCP. Then a spell writing cobol and a bit of assembler. Then downsized gradually via DEC PDP-series and S100-bus MP/M Z80 systems, finally arriving at PCs.
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 21:27
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 77
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
Yep.. I'm sure we could tell a few tales, like the person who thought a right click on the mouse was Moving it first to the right then left clicking.. Or after many failed back-ups to find that half the company was turning off their monitors instead of turning off the PC 
|
you know.......this is what am talking about
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 21:58
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Whatever you do lop, it's going to be both satisfying and frustrating. The majority of employers don't understand what you do. They want it fast, reliable and cheap.
I can count on the fingers of one hand the employers that I have had who really understood what I did and what it was truly worth.
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 22:01
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
Whatever you do lop, it's going to be both satisfying and frustrating. The majority of employers don't understand what you do. They want it fast, reliable and cheap.
I can count on the fingers of one hand the employers that I have had who really understood what I did and what it was truly worth.
|
QFT
|
|
|
13-08-2011, 22:37
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 77
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
Whatever you do lop, it's going to be both satisfying and frustrating. The majority of employers don't understand what you do. They want it fast, reliable and cheap.
I can count on the fingers of one hand the employers that I have had who really understood what I did and what it was truly worth.
|
reasons?
|
|
|
14-08-2011, 05:45
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by lop
reasons?
|
'Cos they is stupid?
|
|
|
14-08-2011, 07:17
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Pc Engineering or Network administrator
Also it's NEVER their fault.. Instead it's always the fault of either the stupid machine or the last person who came to fix it (even if that was 5 years ago)
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 03:09.
|