Old XP PC has lost internet connection
09-08-2011, 10:22
|
#16
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
From your screenshot it appears the system is not finding a network card. Since you had one when the machine was last used it may have died.
Have a look in Device Manager.
Press the windows + break keys to get system properties.
Under the hardware tab select device manager
see if there's an entry in device manager for 'network adaptors'.
If it's there, expand it by clicking on the + and report what it is showing.
|
What are the break keys Dai, it would be handy to know? I got to the Device Manager another way it says 'network adaptors'= National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
If both peripherals and NIC is effected then somethings not quite right with the Southbridge.
Firstly I'd reset the bios (just in case it's a irq conflict) then I'd remove and re-install the NIC driver.
Failing that Tinky grab an ISO of puppy linux, burn to CD, boot the PC from the CD and see if that works OK.. If yes then install to HDD and that'll give you a working internet ready PC for the length of the holiday
|
Oh Kymmy you are just too clever for me, nevertheless I downloaded the ISO of puppy Linux to a memory stick, but don't know if I've done it properly or how it works.
|
|
|
09-08-2011, 10:40
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
For future reference then Tink, the Break key is up on top right of the keyboard. It's often labelled Pause/Break.
Reassuring to see the system does recognise that there is a network adaptor installed. However, it still remains to get it doing something useful..
Edit:
Do you have a separate modem and router? Just thinking it might be worth trying the pc direct to the modem if possible, just to rule out the router as the problem. You'd need to power-cycle the modem before switching on pc.
|
|
|
09-08-2011, 11:16
|
#18
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
What are the break keys Dai, it would be handy to know? I got to the Device Manager another way it says 'network adaptors'= National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.
Oh Kymmy you are just too clever for me, nevertheless I downloaded the ISO of puppy Linux to a memory stick, but don't know if I've done it properly or how it works. 
|
If you want to use it from a flash drive then read this site
http://www.puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm
Puppy will not solve the issue in XP but it will tell you if it's a hardware problem or a software problem as if it works in puppy then it'll be the XP at fault. Puppy is an entire quick loading linux operating system that means you can get the PC up and running and connected to the internet in just a few minutes. Easier to burn it to DVD/CD(use IMGBURN or similar) and boot from there.
Firstly though go into your bios and default it.. then try XP and see if it cures the problem, if yes then you don't need to bother with puppy
|
|
|
09-08-2011, 14:30
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
Hmm I would guess it's around 5 years old Zr.......I know, I know, but I'm from the old school where you don't throw things away if you can make em work. As for the motherboard, I wouldn't know where to start looking for this information on this XP machine. To access the internet I connect the ethernet cable to the port on the back of the PC (don't know if this means on-board) and then to the router. Sorry to be so vague, does this answer your questions?
|
Nothing wrong with that, I've got much older machines and they serve me perfectly well
Don't worry too much about the motherboard model then.
And to tell if the card is onboard or not depends on the location of the socket. Nine times out of ten If it is grouped next to the main USB sockets sideways and about halfway up the case then it is onboard and if it is mounted parallel to the floor and in the bottom third of the case rear it is a separate adapter.
Your computer isn't branded or anything is it? Dell? HP?
|
|
|
10-08-2011, 17:30
|
#20
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Apologies for not getting back to you all sooner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
Edit:
Do you have a separate modem and router? Just thinking it might be worth trying the pc direct to the modem if possible, just to rule out the router as the problem. You'd need to power-cycle the modem before switching on pc.
|
Thanks for explaining where the break key is Dai. Also I dug out my old USB ASDL Modem and tried to install with that but no joy, the red light kept flashing, never turned to green.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy
If you want to use it from a flash drive then read this site
http://www.puppylinux.com/flash-puppy.htm
Puppy will not solve the issue in XP but it will tell you if it's a hardware problem or a software problem as if it works in puppy then it'll be the XP at fault. Puppy is an entire quick loading linux operating system that means you can get the PC up and running and connected to the internet in just a few minutes. Easier to burn it to DVD/CD(use IMGBURN or similar) and boot from there.
Firstly though go into your bios and default it.. then try XP and see if it cures the problem, if yes then you don't need to bother with puppy
|
Kymmy I don't know what I am to default. I also uninstalled my first attempt at downloading with the memory key. Then I burned it to a CD, however the end result looked much like the original. I haven't got a clue how this programme works, I think it may be beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte
Nothing wrong with that, I've got much older machines and they serve me perfectly well
Don't worry too much about the motherboard model then.
And to tell if the card is onboard or not depends on the location of the socket. Nine times out of ten If it is grouped next to the main USB sockets sideways and about halfway up the case then it is onboard and if it is mounted parallel to the floor and in the bottom third of the case rear it is a separate adapter.
Your computer isn't branded or anything is it? Dell? HP?
|
I think it must be a separate adapter Zr as it is at the bottom of the case. It is an HP machine.
|
|
|
10-08-2011, 19:37
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Wirral / Ex CWC Area
Age: 43
Posts: 3,251
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
Apologies for not getting back to you all sooner.
Thanks for explaining where the break key is Dai. Also I dug out my old USB ASDL Modem and tried to install with that but no joy, the red light kept flashing, never turned to green.
Kymmy I don't know what I am to default. I also uninstalled my first attempt at downloading with the memory key. Then I burned it to a CD, however the end result looked much like the original. I haven't got a clue how this programme works, I think it may be beyond me.
I think it must be a separate adapter Zr as it is at the bottom of the case. It is an HP machine.
|
It might not be a separate card if its a HP. Does the system have a model number on the front anywhere?
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 07:04
|
#22
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Zr on the back it says Hewlett Packard HP Vectra XE 310 - on the front it says Intel Celeron inside. Does that help?
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 07:17
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
I got to the Device Manager another way it says 'network adaptors'= National Semiconductor DP83815-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter.
|
It appears that this is an integral part of the motherboard rather than a removable card. Could you go back to the device manager where this is listed and check to see if the device has any problems.
If you right-click on the device in the list and select properties it should show under the 'general' tab if the device is working correctly.
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 07:45
|
#24
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Hi Dai says device is working properly.
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 08:53
|
#25
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
OK. Let's assume that it's telling the truth for now.
I'd like to try a stepped startup. I'm assuming you have a Virgin modem and separate router. Power everything off including the pc.
Power on the modem first and wait for the lights to settle down.
Power on router and let that settle.
Finally power on the pc.
You must have all the network cables connected before you start the power-on process.
When this is done, check to see if you have internet connectivity.
If you do not please open a CMD window (Start, Run, type 'cmd' without quotes)
In the cmd window type 'ipconfig' and record the values it is showing for IP address and default gateway.
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 09:42
|
#26
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
OK Dai did all the above but still no connection. Tried the cmd only says 'c:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>' I've typed in ipconfig after that but all I get is 'Windows IP configuration' then the previous message. I've a feeling this is one we are not going to win. Can't understand it, it was working perfectly only about a month ago.
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 10:59
|
#27
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Hmmm. Now I'm thinking TCP/IP might be broken.
Let's try a reset. Open a CMD window again with Start/Run 'cmd'
at the prompt type this:
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
cross fingers and reboot the pc.
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 11:04
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Northants
Age: 82
Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro
Sky Talk
Sky+HD
Posts: 5,122
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Hmmm... I know this is an obvious one ..but.. I don't recall noticing anything about it so far in the thread.
Tinky, doubleclick on the network icon in your tray or use Start/Settings/Netwark Connections.
In the window that appears select Properties.
In the window that appears scroll down to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). select it and click Properties.
In the window that appears make sure Otain an IP address automatically and Otain an DNS Server address automatically are selected. In case alternative settings are in effect then just make a note of them for now.
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 11:36
|
#29
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
Kymmy I don't know what I am to default. I also uninstalled my first attempt at downloading with the memory key. Then I burned it to a CD, however the end result looked much like the original. I haven't got a clue how this programme works, I think it may be beyond me. 
|
Sorry been busy trying to sort out an issue with my own servers...
I suggested you default the BIOS, this is when you go to boot up the PC it should say something like "Press F2" (or DEL) to enter setup. In there the last page normally lets you select defaults.
As for the puppy linux I suggested if as you only need the PC working for a short length of time.. You need IMGBURN installed to create a bootable DVD or CD from the puppylinux ISO file. Once created you'd then boot the PC from the disk. Puppy Linux (if it is a XP fault) would let you use the PC for internet and then after your visitors left you can then look at re-installing XP or stick with puppy linux..
|
|
|
11-08-2011, 15:41
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 135
|
Re: Old XP PC has lost internet connection
Onboard NIC's can be a barsteward, i once an issue when playing games online the sound would bomb out with squeaks and garbles then the pc would lock up solid.... spent literally months trying to figure it out and it was down to the onboard NIC was bad in some way..
u could try turning off the nic in the bios and see if that sorts out the mouse problem, if it does try and get your hands on a pci based NIC they can be picked up pretty cheap from ebay
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:41.
|