Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wifi issues

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wifi issues
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 22:38   #1
AstralZero
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
AstralZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Wifi issues

Hi Everyone

I'm having issues with my phone on WiFi, and after getting no where on the phone forums, thought I'd try here

I have a HTC Desire HD, used it with lots of different routers and never had a problem. However when I connect to my VM router I get about 3 minutes of internet access before getting 404 errors on every page I visit. My girlfriend has a Desire S and doesn't seem to have the problem.

This only happens with my router and my phone...

It's a VM8~~ Netgear

The router is set to use WiFi channels that no one in the area uses.

Spent a long time trying to debug the problem and I've got nowhere. I'd appreciate any help!
AstralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2011, 06:58   #2
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Wifi issues

it looks like it is a common with that model of phone but this is the best advice i have found to try and address the problem. One or all of it has cured it for most peeps:

I suspect its the power-down mode is not allowing it to come back up quickly enough for the app.

Take a look at the WiFi Sleep Policy option. Try setting it to 'Never' or 'Never when plugged in' instead of 'After 15 mins' and see if that improves things.

Try switching on the 'Best WiFi performance' option on.

Lastly if they don't work, I suggest setting the WiFi static ip address with predefined DNS servers, gateway, netmask etc. as this will stop the DHCP negotiation delay.

Though this is a pain if you use your Desire in other WiFi spots. But you only need to uncheck the 'Use static ip' option if you go outside the home.


Tips worth trying:
*The Wifi antenna is mounted inside the battery cover, so ensure it is fitted correctly(!) and your hand isn't over this area!

*Ensure you set the Router to a channel which is unused in your area.
You can use the app Wifi Analyzer to discover if there is a local Wifi using a nearby similar channel. If there is change the channel.

*Try altering the channel number. Alter in blocks of 6, so if you're using channel 1, use channel 6. A lot of devices in the home cause high frequency interference these days, remote control devices, video or cable devices. Even a small shift can clear the dead spot.

*Interference or multi-path errors may not be apparent in your router but these can seriously reduce throughput in your device. So try in your router to alter the wireless RTS Threshold from the default of 2347 to say 1347. This can improve throughput by sending the packets more often and helps the router and device recover from interference like metallic surfaces causing multi-path signal errors.

If your router or device can show you 'packet errors' in a log then this will help in diagnostics.


Last Tip: Try installing the App - "Fix My WiFi", "WiFi Auto ReEnabler", "Wifi Reassociate" or "WiFi Fixer". These apps promises to restart the Wifi when it drops.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:11   #3
kwikbreaks
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2010
Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
Posts: 2,082
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
Re: Wifi issues

Seems strange. My (bog standard) Desire has worked OK with every router I've tried it on including the infamous Superhub (except in that case the Superhub keeled over occasionally).

I use the Android WiFi Analyzer, Network Info II and MyIP (Radonsoft) and they give some diagnostic info and will at least show if you are still connected. 404 is a page not found and would normally indicate a problem with the site itself so it seems that the urls are getting corrupted somehow.

As it's your own router it is probably worth checking to see if you can find a firmware update for it.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41   #4
AstralZero
Inactive
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2
AstralZero is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Wifi issues

I've tried most of those suggestions already with no improvement.

Setting a static IP looked the most promising. This kind of issue is similar to those caused by an IP conflict, so could have been some kind of problem with my routers DHCP setup... Didn't work though

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any kind of error log in my routers admin panel, which really doesn't help!

Also, I've found I cannot access the router's admin page once I've lost internet access, and the Android network tools can't find my external IP address at all. So I guess it's completely disconnecting, but for some reason thinks it's still connected!

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 ----------

Ah, I've set my router to use channel 10 and my phone seems to have sustained a connection now...

I've tried most of the other channels so it's obviously very fussy about which one it uses - 11 didn't work but even though there's no other traffic on it.

Thanks for your help!
AstralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:36.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum