23-07-2011, 18:12
|
#61
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,584
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver
I have "Mail" "Calendar" "Safari" and "Contacts" all running permanently in full screen, swiping between them is seamless, so easy
I suppose you have to understand a Mac to fully appreciate this new upgrade it is a major one, I work all day on Documents of various kinds
|
I have been a home Mac user for about 10 or 11 years now, and using one for work for 3 or 4 years.  That's more than enough time to understand that Apple's upgrades are sometimes about forced obsolescence rather than new features. My iMac - barely 6 years old and running like greased lightning on Snow Leopard - can't run Lion because its processor is one generation too old.
That appears to be an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as a number of Lion beta testers managed to hack Lion into working perfectly well on Core Duo hardware, simply by removing a single file whose purpose was to do nothing more than check what processor was on board.
Lion may turn out to be more features for less money than earlier announcements suggested, but for me, it's going to cost a smeg-load more than £20.99. As I, like you, swap constantly between Mail and Calendar on the Mac and an iPad, via the soon-to-be-defunct MobileMe, and because I need to run Lion on the Mac after next June if I want to maintain both that functionality and my me.com email addresses, via it's successor, iCloud, I am going to have to invest in new hardware.
I wouldn't bother, but as we took the decision to build the bookings system for our B&B around the Mac's calendar and have invested in advertising with a me.com emai address, we have little choice.
At the moment, I find the mere mention of Lion rather irritating.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 21:48
|
#62
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
Posts: 485
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I have been a home Mac user for about 10 or 11 years now, and using one for work for 3 or 4 years.  That's more than enough time to understand that Apple's upgrades are sometimes about forced obsolescence rather than new features. My iMac - barely 6 years old and running like greased lightning on Snow Leopard - can't run Lion because its processor is one generation too old.
That appears to be an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as a number of Lion beta testers managed to hack Lion into working perfectly well on Core Duo hardware, simply by removing a single file whose purpose was to do nothing more than check what processor was on board.
Lion may turn out to be more features for less money than earlier announcements suggested, but for me, it's going to cost a smeg-load more than £20.99. As I, like you, swap constantly between Mail and Calendar on the Mac and an iPad, via the soon-to-be-defunct MobileMe, and because I need to run Lion on the Mac after next June if I want to maintain both that functionality and my me.com email addresses, via it's successor, iCloud, I am going to have to invest in new hardware.
I wouldn't bother, but as we took the decision to build the bookings system for our B&B around the Mac's calendar and have invested in advertising with a me.com emai address, we have little choice.
At the moment, I find the mere mention of Lion rather irritating.
|
I think the reason it doesn't work on your iMac is not just because they have decided to rule it out to force people to upgrade, But because the kernel is now defaulted to 64-bit
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 21:57
|
#63
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I have been a home Mac user for about 10 or 11 years now, and using one for work for 3 or 4 years.  That's more than enough time to understand that Apple's upgrades are sometimes about forced obsolescence rather than new features. My iMac - barely 6 years old and running like greased lightning on Snow Leopard - can't run Lion because its processor is one generation too old.
That appears to be an arbitrary decision on Apple's part, as a number of Lion beta testers managed to hack Lion into working perfectly well on Core Duo hardware, simply by removing a single file whose purpose was to do nothing more than check what processor was on board.
Lion may turn out to be more features for less money than earlier announcements suggested, but for me, it's going to cost a smeg-load more than £20.99. As I, like you, swap constantly between Mail and Calendar on the Mac and an iPad, via the soon-to-be-defunct MobileMe, and because I need to run Lion on the Mac after next June if I want to maintain both that functionality and my me.com email addresses, via it's successor, iCloud, I am going to have to invest in new hardware.
I wouldn't bother, but as we took the decision to build the bookings system for our B&B around the Mac's calendar and have invested in advertising with a me.com emai address, we have little choice.
At the moment, I find the mere mention of Lion rather irritating.
|
I would have thought you would be better of not upgrading to Lion with your current hardware configuration
I too have a MobileMe account and a .me email address, I understand all the functionality of Mail, Calendar, and Contacts, will transfer over to iCloud when its launched
I didn't think you would need to upgrade to Lion to achieve this upgrade from Mobleme to iCloud
Can't you just stay with Snow Leopard? until and if you decide to replace your Hardware?
|
|
|
|
24-07-2011, 23:08
|
#64
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Now the display sleeps correctly  I didn't do a thing   Very strange.
Regards
John.
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 07:09
|
#65
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras
Now the display sleeps correctly  I didn't do a thing   Very strange.
Regards
John.
|
I fixed it while you were down the Pub John
|
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 08:24
|
#66
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Age: 54
Services: VIP50, TiVo
Posts: 2,869
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
I was surprised at how quickly I got used to the iOS-style scroll behaviour. So quickly in fact that I'm having trouble at work on my Windows 7 machine.
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 08:34
|
#67
|
|
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 38,584
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver
I didn't think you would need to upgrade to Lion to achieve this upgrade from Mobleme to iCloud
Can't you just stay with Snow Leopard? until and if you decide to replace your Hardware?
|
Apple's published information about iCloud that says you need Lion. Which is a totally arbitrary decision on their part, so far as I'm concerned, unless someone can prove otherwise.
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 08:44
|
#68
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
I was surprised at how quickly I got used to the iOS-style scroll behaviour. So quickly in fact that I'm having trouble at work on my Windows 7 machine. 
|
I Know same for me
It took a while to get used to scrolling the natural way after years of doing it the opposite way,
Seems daft now why would you want to scroll up when in fact you wanted to move the page down
Now you just push the your fingers in the direction you want the page to go 
---------- Post added at 09:44 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Apple's published information about iCloud that says you need Lion. Which is a totally arbitrary decision on their part, so far as I'm concerned, unless someone can prove otherwise.
|
I didn't realise that Chris
And I can see your point as that just makes no sense at all, as by June 2012 your MM account will disappear, and I can see the problems that will cause for your buisiness
Think I can understand your frustration now
|
|
|
|
25-07-2011, 12:12
|
#69
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoliver
I fixed it while you were down the Pub John 
|
Thanks Ken
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 19:49.
|