20-07-2011, 16:30
|
#46
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doncaster, S. Yorks.
Age: 43
Services: TV:Sky+, BB:DRL VDSL2 40/10 with Ask4, Phone:Mobile Only
Posts: 2,320
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer
i have upgraded, but the installer for it has disappeared, and I was going to make a installer Bootable USB Drive. 
---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------
Just spoke to apple, who were very helpful, what the installer does is creates a recovery partition on your HDD, and you can access this on startup by holding down CMD and R together to then access your utilities and Re install the OS
|
Have you tested this? As from previous experiences I trust apple CS as far as I can throw them...
|
|
|
20-07-2011, 18:16
|
#47
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 93
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
I was expecting to pay £29.99, nice that it's only £20:99....
|
|
|
20-07-2011, 19:58
|
#48
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q)
Sky Fibre Unlimited
Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnwalker
Have you tested this? As from previous experiences I trust apple CS as far as I can throw them...
|
Yes, I can confirm that it works, though for me, I had it sitting there over an hour before installation would continue. (think my internet connection is to blame due to bad weather)
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 13:40
|
#49
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Age: 54
Services: VIP50, TiVo
Posts: 2,869
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
In case anyone hasn't found them yet, Lion adds a whole load of new voices to the built-in speech (although the system has to download any new ones you select initially). Go to System Preferences->Speech, click on the System Voice drop-down menu and select Customize, once you've selected the ones you want to add they'll be downloaded via Software Update..
There are quite a lot of foreign-language voices, some better quality than others, and several regional English voices including English, Scottish, Irish, Australian and South African (no Welsh though, sorry Russ).
http://osxdaily.com/2011/05/15/mac-o...oices-samples/
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 14:02
|
#50
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Interesting ... The low price suggests what I've suspected for some time now - that there actually isn't very much new in Lion other than the iPad-like app launcher and the front-and-centre placement of the Mac App Store.
|
Well I for one love Lion,
Apple as always been good to work with, and very stable, Lion improves this, all my macs now have Lion on so the £20.99 I paid is well worth it for me
Gestures are fantastic if like me you use a Trackpad (I stopped using a mouse some time ago)
I have "Mail" "Calendar" "Safari" and "Contacts" all running permanently in full screen, swiping between them is seamless, so easy
I suppose you have to understand a Mac to fully appreciate this new upgrade it is a major one, I work all day on Documents of various kinds
Its so nice not to have to worry about saving them at incremental stages, as Lion will do this in the background, even showing you past edits just in case you wanted to change back
The reader is fantastic, if you are reading a news story on say the" Daily Mail",one tap and all the adverts a have gone
And you have a PDF doc, with the article you want to read ad free, you can even compile a reader list and the articles will be saved for you to read later
So I like the update, but then again I like all things Apple, and have always be willing to pay for the Apple Quality,
My Mac's and Apple Software never give me any problems, and are a joy to use
|
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 15:03
|
#51
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
I'm really liking Lion a lot. Only have one minor irritation with display not sleeping in full screen mode, as Ken dosnt have this problem it must be specific to my set up.
There are a lot of changes under the hood Chris, massive security improvements, iTunes is 64 bit and written in cocoa, plus all the ui differences. I love all the new gestures and thats just using a magic mouse. I'm looking forward to getting a trackpad.
How did you find the transition from mouse to trackpad, Ken?
Yesterday I had an electrician round. I had lots of apps open in full screen mode and was working on pages and numbers with my research pages open in safari. The electrician tripped the breaker and my system went down. When power was restored my mac just went back to exactly where it was when the power went out all documents in tact and open at the same point safari pages all open at the same pages, I could resume exactly where I was at the point of the power failure. That one incident alone was worth more to me than £20.99
Regards
John.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 15:09
|
#52
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
Posts: 485
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Been running lion since the release day and I have to say it's a hell of a lot faster, not just a 'service pack' as micros oft fanboys try to make out (when won't they belittle something that isn't Microsoft -roll eyes
In fact, id say safari on lion kills all the other os competition.
e.g. (running some Microsoft benchmarks that they used to showcase ie9)
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Pe...g/Default.html
http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Pe...g/Default.html
Benchmarks were ran fullscreen, then resized to screenshot.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 15:28
|
#53
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras
How did you find the transition from mouse to trackpad, Ken?
John.
|
I really like the Trackpad
Went over to it a while ago as I had got used to it on my Macbook,
I haven't used a mouse now in over 3 months on my iMac
Personally I won't go back to the "magic mouse" as the trackpad is so easy to use, and makes gestures so easy
---------- Post added at 16:28 ---------- Previous post was at 16:20 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS
In fact, id say safari on lion kills all the other os competition.
.
|
Totally agree, the speed on Safari is fantastic, but to swipe back through all the sites you have visited in the session still amazes me ,
An example on this forum, were I am on multi threads, its simple just to swipe between topics,
And just as easy to switch between sections of the forum from TV, to Internet, to General IT discussion, with just a simple swipe across the trackpad or mouse
|
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 16:01
|
#54
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q)
Sky Fibre Unlimited
Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Now im used to lion and its a really great improvement, but how do I get to have multiple desktops as you could in Snow Leopard?
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 16:38
|
#55
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Age: 54
Services: VIP50, TiVo
Posts: 2,869
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer
Now im used to lion and its a really great improvement, but how do I get to have multiple desktops as you could in Snow Leopard?
|
Go into Mission Control and move your mouse pointer to the top-left and a button will appear that you can click to create a new Space. Move the pointer over an open Space and a close symbol will appear that you can click to close the Space.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 16:42
|
#56
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew
Go into Mission Control and move your mouse pointer to the top-left and a button will appear that you can click to create a new Space. Move the pointer over an open Space and a close symbol will appear that you can click to close the Space.
|
Its top right on my system.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 16:55
|
#57
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
As here:
Apologies for the Windows 7 workspace
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 17:00
|
#58
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Fleet, Hampshire
Age: 54
Services: VIP50, TiVo
Posts: 2,869
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
It's probably top-left on mine because I have my dock pinned to the top-right.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 17:08
|
#59
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wigan
Age: 65
Posts: 486
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
My display not sleeping is a bug with any application I have set to full screen, not just safari. Anyone have any ideas whats going on?
Regards
John.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 17:46
|
#60
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex
Age: 38
Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q)
Sky Fibre Unlimited
Sky Landline
Posts: 8,851
|
Re: Mac OS X Lion
Thanks people
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 13:37.
|