can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
19-07-2011, 13:07
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Services: BB M
TV L and V+
Phone L
Posts: 142
|
can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
I've done a search on the threads here, but can't find any posts less than a year old about this, so I thought I would ask if anyone has anything up-to date.
I have a number of PC's on our network, my son (age 11) has found that his has become really slow recently.
Over the last couple of years it has had all sorts of games etc installed & taken off it, I reckon it's time for a clean-up.
So I'm looking for a decent utility -not too expensive- to give it the once over.
Any recommendations ?
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 13:21
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
ccleaner is always mentioned in these sorts of threads at least once
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 13:24
|
#3
|
|
Guest
Location: Essex
Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.
Posts: n/a
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
I can recommend ccleaner as i use it myself,there are various settings for cleaning the entire drive if necessary and regular updates to this freeware.
|
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 13:31
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
I'll add my 'generic' warning. Registry cleaners are one of the quickest ways available to totally screw up a system. CCleaner is generally OK but some are not. Be careful out there.
If it's a juvenile's system I'd be far more inclined to suspect a malware infection of some sort as the culprit. Try running a scan with the free Malwarebytes Anti-malware as few anti-virus programs will pick up all the spyware type of stuff around.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
Before you do that use ccleaner's 'cleaner' function to remove all temp and junk files. That's perfectly safe with the default settings although if you clean cookies you will lose some automatic login details. You may want to un-tick that option.
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 14:16
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Peterborough
Services: Virgin Media XL
Broadband XL
Virgin Mobile
V+ installed!
and a happy Virgin Media customer
Posts: 2,560
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
I use this one after I have cleaned out the registry with Ccleaner.
Clearing out the registry is ok, but defragmenting it makes it like new.
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 14:17
|
#6
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
Ccleaner and hijackThis.
Dont delete anything in HijackThis that you dont know about.
Ccleaner is great. I use it all the time.
Not only does ccleaner do registry but also clears out temporary files too.
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 14:52
|
#7
|
|
Do I care what you think
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cardiff South Wales
Age: 75
Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Posts: 5,624
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
Get the "set" from Piriform
CC cleaner, Defragger & Recova
Works for me
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 15:01
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 2nd CPU to the right & past the cache
Posts: 1,949
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
I swear by CC Cleaner, have recommended it to friends and such for years now. Have even donated to it.
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 15:56
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Services: BB M
TV L and V+
Phone L
Posts: 142
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
Thanks so far guys. It looks like being CC Cleaner then.
We have AVG Business Internet Security on the system, which is updated every day, and SHOULD catch malware on it's way in. But I recognise that nothing is infallible. So I'll get DaiNasty's recommended Malware scanner too.
If I run that, CC cleaner, defrag, and reset all the switches/router on the network, it should help a bit. I guess my lad isn't going to get onto his PC tonight tho'
To be fair, we could really do with upgrading his hardware and getting him onto Windows 7. Anyone got a few hundred quid going spare ?
|
|
|
19-07-2011, 16:02
|
#10
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
I regularly run Malwarebyres at work and it often catches things that our Antivirus doesnt.
It is very effective but do note it will take quite a while to run the entire scan.
|
|
|
22-07-2011, 23:24
|
#11
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
I would personally recommend against using any registry cleaner.
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 12:02
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
I would personally recommend against using any registry cleaner.
|
Shhhh.. It's a good revenue stream, don't say that..
|
|
|
23-07-2011, 18:55
|
#13
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
Format C: normaly does the trick.
|
|
|
|
24-07-2011, 01:53
|
#14
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 11,207
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
Shhhh.. It's a good revenue stream, don't say that..

|
Not my revenue stream, to hell with it!
|
|
|
24-07-2011, 15:57
|
#15
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Sep 2008
Services: BB M
TV L and V+
Phone L
Posts: 142
|
Re: can anyone recommend a Registry cleaning utility - XP
Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
I would personally recommend against using any registry cleaner.
|
Well we all have our opinions.
To my mind, as long as you create a system restore point, and take a drive image first, it's worth using. much better than having to clear an re-install the whole PC.
I suppose it's partly because I have some background in IT, I believe I have the knowledge and ability to do this.
I wouldn't try to service my car tho' cos I wouldn't know where to start. Similarly, I wouldn't suggest anyone without any IT nous try cleaning up their operating system
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:29.
|