Another High Street Name goes bust
07-07-2011, 11:47
|
#16
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
I was wondering if Subway is in trouble, we had two in our town both are closed.
I thought at first when I saw the first one it was over kitchen hygene, but the notice on the door implied rent hadn't been paid, and the other one has the same message, so I guess the same people owned both?
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 11:52
|
#17
|
|
-
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Somewhere
Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Posts: 26,546
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
Subway use franchises. The Franchisees may be in trouble.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 11:52
|
#18
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r
I was wondering if Subway is in trouble, we had two in our town both are closed.
I thought at first when I saw the first one it was over kitchen hygene, but the notice on the door implied rent hadn't been paid, and the other one has the same message, so I guess the same people owned both?
|
Subway is a huge American company and is not in trouble at all.
Every Subway branch is a franchise so its more than likely the owners could no longer afford to keep going.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 14:04
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Are you sure thats not just the summer sales that most stores have on at the moment?
|
I don't remember seeing such drastic cuts offered before or the number of empty shops already. It doesn't seem 5 minutes since the winter/spring sales finished and these just feel more desperate.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 14:56
|
#20
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
The shops are just trying to get customers I guess.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 15:44
|
#21
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
The shops are just trying to get customers I guess.
|
Indeed. They are feeling the spread of internet shopping now as well. The first hit were the record shops and you're hard pressed now to find an independant retailer selling music. The other stuff has taken longer but many will be hit hard by the new on-line systems.
I'd imagine the clothing/shoe shops will hold their own in the long term. There's no real substitute for trying something on in real life. However, the over-priced sector will be slimmed down a LOT.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 15:46
|
#22
|
|
Smeghead
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Posts: 14,778
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
I just got an email for Mountain warehouse and their up to 70% off sale both online and instore.
I think up to 70% is just the current standard for sales.
__________________
AMD Ryzen 7 7700 | 32GB DDR5 6000 | RADEON 7900XT | WD 2TB NVME
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 17:34
|
#23
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
Posts: 485
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I just got an email for Mountain warehouse and their up to 70% off sale both online and instore.
I think up to 70% is just the current standard for sales.
|
Yup,
I went into the shopping centre yestarday and everything was "80% off" and "60% off" e.t.c
---------- Post added at 18:34 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------
also river island has t-shirts for like £3 at the moment in the sales
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 20:27
|
#24
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,397
|
Re: Another High Street Name goes bust
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty
Indeed. They are feeling the spread of internet shopping now as well. The first hit were the record shops and you're hard pressed now to find an independant retailer selling music. The other stuff has taken longer but many will be hit hard by the new on-line systems.
I'd imagine the clothing/shoe shops will hold their own in the long term. There's no real substitute for trying something on in real life. However, the over-priced sector will be slimmed down a LOT.
|
We only have HMV that does a decent music/film catalogue in our town, all the others over ther years have gone. (Parrott Records, Our Price, Woolworths, Virgin Megastore & Zavii) If HMV go I'll only have the supermarkets to browse and they don't do much variaty.
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 17:09.
|