Who knows how to care for roses?
03-07-2011, 13:56
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Location: W Mids
Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
Posts: 2,081
|
Who knows how to care for roses?
I have a rose (climbing) - Starlight express, in a biggish wooden container with trellis, it sits in a spot where it gets sun in the afternoon, all is going well, I've soapy watered my NUMEROUS aphids grrr, and its starting to show some flowers (prob be out by the end of the month.) It looks like its a cutting from an existing rose plant or something but new growth has been ok and it looks to be healthy at the moment.
Now, I don't know squat about roses, it gets watered every day as it's in a container, I don't have the option to plant it in the ground properly, so how can I best look after it in the container to ensure it lasts a few years.
Quote:
Climbing Rose Starlight Express
Starlight Express is a climbing rose that come in a 4 litre pot. It produces Fragrant, long lasting blooms that flower from June to November. They are best suited for pots, tubs and garden planting and prefer well-drained and a sunny position
Healthy, vigorous growth
Up to 3 metres (10ft) tall
|
|
|
|
03-07-2011, 17:59
|
#2
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,924
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
You can't go far wrong if you follow the advise on the RHS web site.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?PID=278
I would give you some tips myself but I seem to have managed to kill off every patio rose I have ever been given.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 07:47
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2011
Services: 50 Mb broadband; TV XL V+ & V, Phone XL
Posts: 485
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
We have roses and do nothing to them other then a little miracle grow every couple of weeks and their growing at a rate of knots, as is the rest of the garden which is growing huge we keep having people walking past and staring at it because the poppies had flower heads the size of saucers LOL
I'm not sure if its just good soil at this house as we havn't been here to long but id give miracle grow a try
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 08:32
|
#4
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,539
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
Roses are as tough as old boots.... they can take a lot of abuse and come back solid as before.
Over-fertilising will produce lots of lush new growth that aphids love. Look out for ants delivering aphids to juicy areas where they "milk" them for sugary honeydew.
In a pot , it would be worth changing some of the compost each year to keep up the micro-nutrient levels.... just scrape some off the top, replace it, then remulch to keep moisture in (essential in pots).
Pruning to maintain shape and vigour is also essental.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 08:38
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2010
Location: W Mids
Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
Posts: 2,081
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
Thanks for the advice guys, yes I'm fighting the aphid war daily, weak washing up liquid in a water spray seems to put them off for a bit
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 08:41
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
As Taf says, tough as old boots. They're about the only thing I've never managed to kill. A good prune back at the end of the season will encourage good shape and growth the next year. They like feeding, I'll second the 'miracle grow' suggestion.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 16:08
|
#7
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
I've heard people say that horse manure around the base of the roses is good for them.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 17:13
|
#8
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hell
Age: 50
Posts: 5,956
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
A load of Horse **** round the base of the roses. Also to prune as well.
|
|
|
07-07-2011, 18:55
|
#9
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln UK
Age: 77
Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Posts: 3,673
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon
I've heard people say that horse manure around the base of the roses is good for them.
|
Best to rot it down a bit I believe. Fresh is too acidic and can rot the roots.
|
|
|
08-07-2011, 18:30
|
#10
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
We seem to be infested with aphids this year and no amount of spraying seems to do any good. However one or two roses seemed to have survived this year. Couln't resist taking these pictures....added the second photo just for Jo!
|
|
|
08-07-2011, 18:39
|
#11
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,924
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky
We seem to be infested with aphids this year and no amount of spraying seems to do any good. However one or two roses seemed to have survived this year. Couln't resist taking this picture....
|
Ah Tinky I can smell the perfume from all the way up here.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
08-07-2011, 18:51
|
#12
|
|
To err is human
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cornwall
Age: 83
Services: yearly MOT
Posts: 7,491
|
Re: Who knows how to care for roses?
Cheers Jo smell just as good as they look.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:44.
|