Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 14:32   #1
royaltiger
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
Posts: 689
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light
Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Finally purchased an SSD for main PC to replace hard drive, the SSD is 120 GB in size and it will replace a 300GB hard drive of which only 74GB is used. I understand that to transfer an image both drives should be of the same size otherwise errors occur. So i've tried to reduce my volume but the smallest it will shrink to is 152GB and theoretically it needs to drop to 120GB to transfer with no faults or errors, how do I overcome this problem. Do I have to uninstall programs, am I better off doing a clean install, is there a simple way of getting this to work, any ideas greatly appreciated.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-05-2011, 14:37   #2
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.
 
dilli-theclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Near Sandy Heath transmitter
Services: BT
Posts: 19,325
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

I did a fresh install when I got my ssd then once it had everything i needed on it I created an image in case i ever needed to set it up again.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 15:46   #3
damien c
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: warrington
Age: 40
Posts: 1,641
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

The way I do thing's is I use a normal sata drive use to be a 1tb drive but then I bought a 160gb dedicated for the job.

I install windows and apps and games on to the normal sata drive either the 160gb or the 1tb drive, and then I use Acronis Boot Disk to clone it across to the SSD after I have done a secure erase on the SSD.

When you use the Acronis boot disk and tell it to clone the 2 drives it will give you 3 option's but the best to choose is the one where, it shrink's the partition down to the size of the new disc or increases it, dependant on whether you are going from smaller to larger or larger to smaller which is the case when moving from normal sata to ssd.

I have had no issues with mine since I started using a ssd doing it the way I do it and to be honest I have never heard, of it causing issues of cloning a larger drive to a smaller drive.

You will be fine if you use Acronis or something that is the same as it and aslong as you are not trying to clone more data than, the ssd can hold as a 120gb ssd will normally give you about 105gb to 110gb to use after it is formatted etc.
__________________
7900X3D, 64Gb Corsair 6000Mhz, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4080 Super, Samsung 980 Pro 2Tb NVME
Unraid Server, 130TB Supermicro CSE-846, AMD Epyc 7551P 32 Core, 64Gb ECC DDR4, nVidia RTX A2000
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 15:57   #4
royaltiger
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
Posts: 689
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

I have got acronis so might try that, operating system is windows 7 pro and tried earlier swapping over on my laptop and recieved errors about system image, and main error is original drive being larger than new drive even though there is plenty of space this seems to be a common error.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 16:07   #5
damien c
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: warrington
Age: 40
Posts: 1,641
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

When you run the Acronis boot disk one of the options is proportional which will reduce the size of the main drive down so it is small enough to go on to the ssd, the only issue I could see you having is if you have the large drive split in to 2 or more partitions with data on the 2nd or more partitions.
__________________
7900X3D, 64Gb Corsair 6000Mhz, Gigabyte Aorus RTX 4080 Super, Samsung 980 Pro 2Tb NVME
Unraid Server, 130TB Supermicro CSE-846, AMD Epyc 7551P 32 Core, 64Gb ECC DDR4, nVidia RTX A2000
damien c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 17:29   #6
Waldo Pepper
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the thick of East Anglia
Posts: 573
Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

I did just this using http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

1. Resize your big partition using the above to something smaller than your SSD, say in your case 80G.

2. Do a partition copy of said partition to your new SSD where you will be left with a 80G partition on your new SSD probably on a drive now known as 'g:' or 'h:'. Either way it won't be 'c:'. Use one of those external SATA/USB interfaces

3. Resize this partition on your SSD to the max of your SSD.

4. Now put the SSD in your machine and remove the big disk and reboot. You will get an error about cannot boot from 'h:' or whatever.

5. Either pay to use the full blown version which outside Win (as a bootable CD) will allow you to change the SSD back to 'c:'...or insert your original Win install disk as it will sort it out as a repair (well Win 7 did no probs).

Using the above software be aware I had to reboot between stages to let the effects take place. I am sure Acronis etc can do it but the principle is the same.

I may have missed the odd step like activating the new partition but it was a few months back.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:30   #7
royaltiger
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
Posts: 689
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Used Acronis seemed to work a treat. At the moment I can honestly say the ssd is no different in speed to the Raptor I replaced, my asus striker extreme has 3Gb sata ports, do I now need to puchase a 6GB sata controller card to improve the speed of the ssd or will this make no difference.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 18:34   #8
Kymmy
Inactive
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

EASEUS (if on windows) or the partition tools in Puppy linux will clone the drives and resize as you go. There should not be an issue with the resizing
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 19:58   #9
Zing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
Used Acronis seemed to work a treat. At the moment I can honestly say the ssd is no different in speed to the Raptor I replaced, my asus striker extreme has 3Gb sata ports, do I now need to puchase a 6GB sata controller card to improve the speed of the ssd or will this make no difference.
My old mans c300 on a sata 3 connection flies compared to a rapter. However if you install a Sata 3 controller do not expect it all to just boot that easily it will need a boot driver to be seen most likely
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:05   #10
Jayster
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belfast, N.I.
Services: 200/20 SH3, V6 Box
Posts: 499
Jayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to beholdJayster is a splendid one to behold
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
Used Acronis seemed to work a treat. At the moment I can honestly say the ssd is no different in speed to the Raptor I replaced, my asus striker extreme has 3Gb sata ports, do I now need to puchase a 6GB sata controller card to improve the speed of the ssd or will this make no difference.
In which way is it not faster? You should see a huge improvement in response times and depending on the model a fair improvement in transfer speeds. What make/model is your ssd?
Jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:07   #11
Zing
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

just a gues with it being 120 gig and sata 3 its the OCZ Vertex 3?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 20:15   #12
royaltiger
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
Posts: 689
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zing View Post
just a gues with it being 120 gig and sata 3 its the OCZ Vertex 3?

Good guess, yes its the ocz vetex 3. I bought two and placed one in a laptop and again i'd say not much improvement. Do these only run fast speeds with latest motherboards and processors. I thought it would be lightning fast as everyone says when purchasing an ssd but hhmmmm disappointed so far.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 16:25   #13
Waldo Pepper
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the thick of East Anglia
Posts: 573
Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
Good guess, yes its the ocz vetex 3. I bought two and placed one in a laptop and again i'd say not much improvement. Do these only run fast speeds with latest motherboards and processors. I thought it would be lightning fast as everyone says when purchasing an ssd but hhmmmm disappointed so far.
Have a look on the Cosair website as that's where I found all sorts of tweaks and I think I posted the links on this site a couple of months ago.

Still it should be a massive improvement.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:40   #14
xtopher
Inactive
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 95
xtopher is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Hope this is not hijacking the thread but I would like to ask Royaltiger and Kymmy an opinion. I need to clone my hard drive. Acronis Home 2011 has lousy reviews on Amazon and EASEUS free edition (latest due out today) seems to have good reviews. Would you care to comment please? I had Acronis in my sights for several months until I read some reviews. I am not a geek so one button cloning is what I am after. Apologies for my intervention!
xtopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:58   #15
downquark1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,952
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Transfer system image from Hard Drive to SSD

Is this wise if you're copying your boot partition? maybe windows will want make adjustments for being on a SSD.
__________________
"Knowledge is Power. Power Corrupts. Study Hard. Be Evil."
downquark1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 13:08.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum