Children under 10 issued shotguns
24-03-2011, 05:25
|
#1
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cambridge
Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
Posts: 4,349
|
Children under 10 issued shotguns
Quote:
Thirteen children under the age of 10 have been issued with shotgun certificates in the UK over the past three years.
The youngest child to be granted a licence was seven years old...
|
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12840557
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 07:35
|
#2
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Open Prison, H.M.United Kingdom
Posts: 1,037
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Well off families no doubt.
If they're already shooting, are supervised (and have to be by law until the age of 15), then I don't see any harm in it tbh. I'd be more concerned about whether or not hearing protection was being worn whilst shooting, as that's most likely where the harm could come from.
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 07:49
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
I first fired a weapon at the age of 8 (snub nose .357) though I was living in South Africa which has an American style gun culture.
As Sparkle says if taught right then I don't see it being a problem and I'd rather have someone certified than illegal.
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 19:50
|
#4
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Hove
Age: 51
Services: XL Tv,100MB,M Phone.
Posts: 1,287
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle
Well off families no doubt.
If they're already shooting, are supervised (and have to be by law until the age of 15), then I don't see any harm in it tbh. I'd be more concerned about whether or not hearing protection was being worn whilst shooting, as that's most likely where the harm could come from.
|
Britain is gun paranoid....
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 19:55
|
#5
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales UK
Age: 44
Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Posts: 3,480
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
from someone who has been shot by an airgun by some pillock that was bad enough.
I rather they were out of reach from all until atleast 18.
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 20:07
|
#6
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
i think it's amazing what is legal for children ,drinking ,smoking and guns ,in my opinion all of which are for adults only
|
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 20:18
|
#7
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 18,385
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshchris
from someone who has been shot by an airgun by some pillock that was bad enough.
I rather they were out of reach from all until atleast 18.
|
So because someone acts illegally you want to stop legal activities??
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 20:57
|
#8
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales UK
Age: 44
Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Posts: 3,480
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
did i say that? I said that i think they should be kept out of the reach of under 18. All kids given a chance could do something daft with a gun and unfortunately some adults can be lax and leave them unsupervised. I just feel its a disaster waiting to happen. You will see that if one kid gets hurt or if the kid hurts someone else suddenly is society to blame or authority for issuing the licence. The parents would be claiming it was just some sort of "unforseen accident" where i feel someone of that age should not be left no where near firearms.
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 20:58
|
#9
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,922
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
I must admit I see nothing wrong with this as long as precautions are taken. I assume that the granting of the shotgun certificates will depend on the attitude/aptitude of the child and gun use would be restricted, under strict supervision and in a controlled environment.
Now if they just hand out the certificates with out safeguards and some little monster is allowed free access to a gun then I would be outraged.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 21:06
|
#10
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne
I must admit I see nothing wrong with this as long as precautions are taken. I assume that the granting of the shotgun certificates will depend on the attitude/aptitude of the child and gun use would be restricted, under strict supervision and in a controlled environment.
Now if they just hand out the certificates with out safeguards and some little monster is allowed free access to a gun then I would be outraged.
|
problem is though 10yr olds change quite a bit as they enter their teens ,what could have been a responsible 10yr old could be a little monster by 14-15 and by then it's too late if they already have a permit
|
|
|
|
24-03-2011, 21:10
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,785
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne
I must admit I see nothing wrong with this as long as precautions are taken. I assume that the granting of the shotgun certificates will depend on the attitude/aptitude of the child and gun use would be restricted, under strict supervision and in a controlled environment.
Now if they just hand out the certificates with out safeguards and some little monster is allowed free access to a gun then I would be outraged.
|
Yup.
Controlled, regulated, secured, checked is the way.
|
|
|
27-03-2011, 08:23
|
#12
|
|
An Awesome Dude
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,362
|
Quote:
|
Originally Posted by Kymmy
I first fired a weapon at the age of 8 (snub nose .357) though I was living in South Africa which has an American style gun culture.
|
Well thankfully you dont come off an someone who is careless Kymmy,you are quite the opposite
However most people that age CANNOT HANDLE SUCH A THING!
|
|
|
27-03-2011, 08:41
|
#13
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh
problem is though 10yr olds change quite a bit as they enter their teens ,what could have been a responsible 10yr old could be a little monster by 14-15 and by then it's too late if they already have a permit
|
Quite, but it's really not difficult to buy an illegal gun far more suited to crime if you really want one. So far as I'm aware, the vast majority of gun crime isn't committed by people who held shotgun certificates when they were children. At least checks are done on those who are licenced to keep guns. There are no such controls over the feral youths, drugs runners and mobsters running around shooting up portions of our inner cities.
|
|
|
27-03-2011, 11:08
|
#14
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,048
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111
Well thankfully you dont come off an someone who is careless Kymmy,you are quite the opposite
However most people that age CANNOT HANDLE SUCH A THING!
|
No need to shout......
One size doesn't fit all - if the access / control is sufficient, this should not be an issue; the kids don't get the licence, and are then given unsupervised access and use of the shotgun. It will be locked up when not in use, and when in use, supervised.
If we followed the same rules you are putting forward for driving, we wouldn't have Grand Prix champions like Lewis Hamilton et al, who started driving Karts in controlled and supervised competitions.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
27-03-2011, 11:58
|
#15
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales UK
Age: 44
Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Posts: 3,480
|
Re: Children under 10 issued shotguns
Hugh but a lot of kids wouldnt find it humerous to aim a go cart at someone at shoot at them wheather it be just the leg for fun to see a reaction. I was shot in the side by a kid with an air rifle who was under the supervision of his uncle who was in his 20s who also thought it was highly ammusing. I was walking through the local field which is a public right of way on a public path when it happened and police were involved.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:38.
|