Cheques to disappear in 2018
21-02-2011, 13:42
|
#46
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
So far I've not been a victim of cheque fraud in the 40 odd years of having a bank account. 
However I've twice been the victim of debit card fraud. 
|
Same wrote loads of cheques zero fraud used credit card less had £1,000 fraud and I am careful where I use it but it seemed a scimmer was used at a prominent shop. Wont name it.
Basically its one of those card readers that dont look any different from orig and works how it should but has hidden system.
If I remember there was a birmingham company raided and had litterally thousands of these. Even acted as proper company but was run by crooks.
As for wifi portable versions its well known been shown on numerious programs that with no more than laptop with software can scim the pin and card details of portable devices upto many yards away.
Do we want our local milkman coming with portable to pay our bill.
Nope give me a chequebook why CANT WE DECIDE how to pay.
Meddling in system again we was told chip and pin was safe is it hell. No doubt any replacement will be infinate more fraudalent especially if its electronic.
Banks should follow simple rule if man makes man can disasemble/work around it.
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 14:07
|
#47
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
chip and pin is inhenrintly insecure due to the weak limitations set however I have little doubt its more secure than cheques, as to do fraud on cheques is very easy just need to forge signature.
I will ask my sister if she gets hit by bank for what she does (writes dodgy cheques to keep people of her back)
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 14:47
|
#48
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,134
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
chip and pin is inhenrintly insecure due to the weak limitations set however I have little doubt its more secure than cheques, as to do fraud on cheques is very easy just need to forge signature.
I will ask my sister if she gets hit by bank for what she does (writes dodgy cheques to keep people of her back)
|
To be fair it does sound like its all to save the banks from cheque bouncing rather something to aid peoples security. I wonder if this is common abuse of cheque writing.
Never used it to write a cheque with view money will be in the bank later and I believe you can be done for fraudalently writing a cheque knowing funds are not present.
Although it can indeed be problem with fraud I am sure its down to lazy people not writing cheques properly so it cant be altered. ie making 100 look like 1000.
I always made sure its written with lines filling gaps so its impossible to tamper. I never trust people and always make sure it cant be tampered. I wonder how many make the cheques easy to tamper.
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 18:56
|
#49
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Posts: 9,699
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
chip and pin is inhenrintly insecure due to the weak limitations set however I have little doubt its more secure than cheques, as to do fraud on cheques is very easy just need to forge signature.
I will ask my sister if she gets hit by bank for what she does (writes dodgy cheques to keep people of her back)
|
You don't even need to forge it very well as banks check very few of them...
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 19:19
|
#50
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,232
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan
The DVLA were never going to keep paper only licenses forever!
|
I have a paper [only] licence.
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 19:36
|
#51
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,324
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
So do I. if anyone opens it up to look at and breaks it. they can buy me a new one.
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 19:40
|
#52
|
|
step on my trip
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,766
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I have a paper [only] licence. 
|
but when it expires or you need to change details on it, you will have to get a photo ID license. apparently, the DVLA now destroy paper only licenses when they get them and they don't need to inform you they are doing it.
__________________
“Most people don’t listen to understand. They listen to reply. Be different.”
- Jefferson Fisher
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 19:42
|
#53
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan
but when it expires or you need to change details on it, you will have to get a photo ID license. apparently, the DVLA now destroy paper only licenses when they get them and they don't need to inform you they are doing it.
|
1998 i believe they stopped issuing them ,due to a EU directive
|
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 20:07
|
#54
|
|
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Admin
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 63
Services: Zen & YouFibre FTTP, Sky Q TV, Sky Mobile, Flextel SIP
Posts: 31,232
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by idi banashapan
but when it expires or you need to change details on it, you will have to get a photo ID license. apparently, the DVLA now destroy paper only licenses when they get them and they don't need to inform you they are doing it.
|
Well, since it doesnt expire until about 2027, and Im not planning on moving anytime soon, then I'm ok for a while yet.  Anyway, back to cheques .....
__________________
Baby, I was born this way.
|
|
|
21-02-2011, 22:47
|
#55
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
I just for once would like to be the one to make the choice, not to have the choice made for me as is so often the way with banks.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
22-02-2011, 00:00
|
#56
|
|
Permanently Banned
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wales UK
Age: 44
Services: 50mb Cable, L TV and Phone XL.
Posts: 3,480
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
they have been dwindling for ages. I have written one cheque in almost 2 years and that was last month to the DVLA for a renewel of my Photo Licence.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 14:58.
|