Cheques to disappear in 2018
20-02-2011, 00:33
|
#16
|
|
Hello !
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Somewhere
Services: AppleTV, Netflix
Posts: 16,803
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Get rid of them.
If someone hands me a cheque they take too long to clear in to my account or if I pay by cheque I'm never sure when the movie is actually in without checking.
It's old and dated.
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 12:28
|
#17
|
|
common as muck
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dirty Old Town
Posts: 3,564
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
Well that can be said of any system.
---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 ----------
Well it would be like using a Postal Order then, except you don't actually have to visit an outlet to purchase the form..as for going online well she's adamant she's not wanting to be 'learning new tricks'.Poor eyesight,arthritis in her hands makes using a phone or a computer keyboard a problem..
Frankly if people want to use cheques and are prepared to pay the 'costs' for the sake of convenience why not? Who the hell is it hurting?
|
It's hurting the trees / environment... No cheques = a huge reduction of trees being ripped from mother-earth.
Altogether now...
Quote:
I'd Like to build the world a home
and furnish it with love
grow apple trees and honey bees
and snow white turtle doves
I'd like to teach the world to sing
in perfect harmoney
i'd like to hold it in my hand
and keep it company
i'd like to see the world for once
all standing hand in hand
and hear them echo through the hills
for peace throuout the land
(thats the song i hear)
i'd like to tech the world to sing
in perfect harmoney
i'd like to tech the world to sing
in perfect harmoney
i'd like to build the world a home
and funish it with love
grow apple trees and
snow white turtle doves
i'd like to tech the world to sing
in perfect harmoney
i'd like to hold it in my arms
and keep it company
|
__________________
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 12:53
|
#18
|
|
Mum 30/09/20 Dad 08/08/24
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Age: 57
Services: 2 x TiVo 360s, SH5. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Posts: 17,396
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
I use cheques to pay my credit card every month.
They are only several options (pros in Blue Cons in Red)
1. postal orders -
Don't need a bank account.
A cost involed, have to go to a post office
2. Have a card reader at home to make payments by debit/credit cards -
You can control the kit
Security
Cost involed in kit
Personal info risk
Proberly more but I have brain freeze
__________________
I'm a Trustee for a local charity
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 13:06
|
#19
|
|
Born again teenager.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Manchester. (VM area 20)
Age: 78
Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB.
Phone-Anytime Chatter
Posts: 13,923
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
I like cheques. I guess I will work out how to give monetary gifts without them but Postal Orders don't have the same "feel". I am going to a Wedding next Saturday and we are all giving money, Cash seems naff and a PO doesn't have the personal touch that our name on the Cheque will have.
__________________
"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx..... "but whilst I do I shall do so disgracefully." Jo Glynne
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 13:09
|
#20
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product 13
It's hurting the trees / environment... No cheques = a huge reduction of trees being ripped from mother-earth.
Altogether now...
|
At the most I write 4/5 cheques a year besides which that doesn't really worry me as paper and trees are a renewable and a recyclable resource unlike the oil used to produce the plastic used in debit and credit cards and the computer and keyboard I'm presently using..
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 13:46
|
#21
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 70
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 10,535
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Some dinosaur institutions will only accept cheques (Disabled Blue Badge department in our area for example).
They'll have to be dragged screaming and kicking into the 21st century before cheques die out.
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 13:55
|
#22
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cambridge
Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
Posts: 4,349
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
... I may not use cheques often, but I do still use them ...
|
A couple of weeks ago my debit card details were used to fraudulently remove £500 from my account (my card was under my right buttock at the time). As soon as I informed my bank, they cancelled the card, so for a week the only way I could access my money was by using my chequebook.
Fortunately I had a "back-up" plan (raiding my wife's handbag at regular intervals), but apart from using these "old-fashioned" methods what choice did I have?
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 13:59
|
#23
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,055
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Sell (rent) your body?
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 14:30
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Posts: 9,699
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm
A couple of weeks ago my debit card details were used to fraudulently remove £500 from my account (my card was under my right buttock at the time). As soon as I informed my bank, they cancelled the card, so for a week the only way I could access my money was by using my chequebook.
Fortunately I had a "back-up" plan (raiding my wife's handbag at regular intervals), but apart from using these "old-fashioned" methods what choice did I have?
|
When I had to stop my debit card my bank gave me the option ofcollecting some cash from a local branch to tide me over.
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 14:33
|
#25
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
you can go into your bank and take cash out without your card as long as you have appropriate id
|
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 14:35
|
#26
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh
you can go into your bank and take cash out without your card as long as you have appropriate id
|
It's a lot of faffing about..much easier to get your cheque book out and pay someone straight off.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 15:21
|
#27
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
It's a lot of faffing about..much easier to get your cheque book out and pay someone straight off. 
|
assuming they don't want a guarantee card to go with it ,lets face it hardly anywhere takes cheques anymore even with a card, petrol stations ,supermarkets practically no-one takes them anymore
|
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 15:44
|
#28
|
|
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 73
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 40,377
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh
assuming they don't want a guarantee card to go with it ,lets face it hardly anywhere takes cheques anymore even with a card, petrol stations ,supermarkets practically no-one takes them anymore
|
And when you ask why they say it's because of cost.Well If I'm prepared to pay the cost to use a cheque why not?If I take the hit so I have the choice why not?
I'm just asking for whose benefit is it to be getting rid of cheques.Because I don't think it's for mine but the banks overall.
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 15:52
|
#29
|
|
Guest
Location: newcastle upon tyne
Services: Sky Q silver bundle
Sky Q 2TB box
Sky Q mini box
Sky fibre unlimited
Sky Talk evenings and week
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
And when you ask why they say it's because of cost.Well If I'm prepared to pay the cost to use a cheque why not?If I take the hit so I have the choice why not?
I'm just asking for whose benefit is it to be getting rid of cheques.Because I don't think it's for mine but the banks overall.
|
well of course it is ,why bother to keep an expensive system that is hardly used anymore in place for a hand full of people stuck in the past and lets face it chq fraud is a lot easier than card fraud ,another reason to get rid
|
|
|
|
20-02-2011, 15:58
|
#30
|
|
common as muck
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dirty Old Town
Posts: 3,564
|
Re: Cheques to disappear in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J
At the most I write 4/5 cheques a year besides which that doesn't really worry me as paper and trees are a renewable and a recyclable resource unlike the oil used to produce the plastic used in debit and credit cards and the computer and keyboard I'm presently using.. 
|
Sorry, I forgot to add a rolling eyes smiley and a wink to the end of my post.
__________________
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44.
|