22-11-2010, 16:56
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Brighton
Posts: 2,583
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I'm also going to get a 10" Android tablet - can't see the point of the smaller sizes.
But I'm holding out until Spring to give the early adopters a chance to find the bugs
|
|
|
22-11-2010, 19:33
|
#17
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,034
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I am getting a Toshiba Folio 10" on evaluation next week, hopefully - I will feedback my thoughts.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
23-11-2010, 23:36
|
#18
|
|
Guest
Location: Cleethorpes
Services: Virgin XL
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Not strictly a 'tablet pc' but I thought it might be worth pointing out that I have tried internet access on my Kindle 3g in Italy, Holland & Denmark, recently - with no problems. OK it can be a bit slow & clunky, but for checking gmail & BBC news it has proved invaluable.
|
|
|
|
24-11-2010, 05:09
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Essex innit
Age: 52
Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL
BT Telephone
Posts: 15,735
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Acer have just announced they are releasing a tablet early next year
http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/23/a...droid-tablets/
Specs aren't bad either
|
|
|
24-11-2010, 06:19
|
#20
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazfan
Not strictly a 'tablet pc' but I thought it might be worth pointing out that I have tried internet access on my Kindle 3g in Italy, Holland & Denmark, recently - with no problems. OK it can be a bit slow & clunky, but for checking gmail & BBC news it has proved invaluable.
|
Ooh, that's good.... Amazon said that 3G would only work in your home country except for the Kindle store and Wiki.
|
|
|
24-11-2010, 13:08
|
#21
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
The Archos appears to be available at a couple of places if you use Google shopping search. I am a bit nervous though about using one of the lesser known outlets.
Anyone heard of simplyelectronics??
http://www.simplyelectronics.net/checkout.php
|
|
|
|
24-11-2010, 18:45
|
#22
|
|
Guest
Location: Near Hungerford, West Berkshire
Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT,
Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooogemaflop
The Archos appears to be available at a couple of places if you use Google shopping search. I am a bit nervous though about using one of the lesser known outlets.
Anyone heard of simplyelectronics??
http://www.simplyelectronics.net/checkout.php
|
Do a whois - I would'nt touch 'em.
|
|
|
|
24-11-2010, 19:04
|
#23
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
it says its hidden by contactprivacy I know nothing about it. They accept Google checkout and Paypal as well as standard card payments. Why does this concern you so much?
---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------
Arrr Hotukdeals seems to be saying its hong kong .Guess I will have to see
|
|
|
|
25-11-2010, 18:20
|
#24
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 16,760
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
I've just read up a bit on the Archos 101. Looks good. Bigger than the Galaxy Tab, but half the price.
I'm still waiting until next year, though, before I take the tablet plunge. iPad 2 will probably be announced in early-ish 2011, plus the Android tablets should have matured.
|
|
|
26-11-2010, 22:27
|
#25
|
|
Guest
Location: Cleethorpes
Services: Virgin XL
Posts: n/a
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky
Ooh, that's good.... Amazon said that 3G would only work in your home country except for the Kindle store and Wiki.
|
When I first got a Kindle 2 the 3G only worked in the UK with Wikipedia & Amazon Store - but worked fine in the USA, where I was able to access gmail & BBC news.
Then Amazon allowed 'switching' the device registration to the UK & it worked fine with full web access where-ever a 3G/edge signal was available.
That continued with the Kindle 3 - and I'm pleased to say has been functional in Italy, Denmark & Holland, so far, also.
In the context of the thread this functionality of the kindle does not (currently) incur any extra charges. Access to email, news, blogs, etc is completely free - whereas I would imagine a sim card in an android tablet, for example, would attract data charges - especially when roaming ???
I'm not suggesting a Kindle can 100% 'substitute' for a tablet device, but urge people to consider whether it might be functional enough for what they actually need, especially when travelling
|
|
|
|
27-11-2010, 21:05
|
#26
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Now this is interesting...
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/l...e/ntablet.html
Atom 1.6ghz
32gb SSD
3G connectivity
N WiFi
Multi-touch capacitive
Any OS
And for £349.
I'd like to know what brand it is underneath and the reviews but its impressive specced.
|
|
|
27-11-2010, 21:13
|
#27
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
It wont run with any OS surely? there will have to be driver support and compatability to run the touchscreen.
Legally installing Windows 7 will take the price well over £400. There is another device out there of these spec running Andriod and Win 7 whats the betting its a bare one of those?
---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:12 ----------
http://www.which.co.uk/technology/co...ndroid-tablet/ perhaps this one for example
---------- Post added at 22:13 ---------- Previous post was at 22:13 ----------
http://www.which.co.uk/technology/co...ad-100-tablet/ actually it looks very much like the viewsonic
|
|
|
|
27-11-2010, 21:28
|
#28
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Linux as well as Android are free.
|
|
|
27-11-2010, 21:32
|
#29
|
|
Guest
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
Yeah but there is no garrentee any old distro will run. And unless it is the viewsonic a fully compatable Android would not have been written either and would in both instances require devs for that device I believe?
|
|
|
|
27-11-2010, 21:39
|
#30
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 45
Posts: 14,750
|
Re: Tablet Style devices
the innerds of the device are standard netbook stuff so virtually any linux OS with a netbook variant will support it.
Reviews of the device mention Android so it is compatible. Reading between the lines the OS-less version seems to come with Android 2.2 by default. Then you add another OS and dual-boot.
It does look very similar to the ViewSonic and the Tega but cheaper.
Some people complain about the screen not being accurate but I think that's due to Windows not being built for touchscreen devices?
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 08:45.
|