Euroscepticism Equals War
12-11-2010, 00:06
|
#2
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: May 2007
Services: Virgin Media XL package.
Posts: 272
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Bad choice of words, in my opinion. I don't believe he intended "leads to" to be read as "inevitably leads to". I certainly didn't interpret any of the quotations as "euroskeptisism equals war".
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 08:34
|
#3
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Belfast
Posts: 4,785
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
This may prove to be of interest.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 08:49
|
#4
|
|
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Mod
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 69
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 45,059
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
I have to admit, I didn't find anything in the OP links that equated to the thread header - all I could find in that vein were
Quote:
|
Nationalism represents a threat to the continent, as it no longer creates "a positive feeling of pride of one's own identity, but a negative feeling of apprehension of the others."
|
and
Quote:
|
“The biggest enemy of Europe today is fear. Fear leads to egoism, egoism leads to nationalism and nationalism leads to war.”
|
I am quite nationalistic, but am not a Eurosceptic - I see the two things as completely different, but could in extreme cases, lead to extreme outcomes.
__________________
Thank you for calling the Abyss.
If you have called to scream, please press 1 to be transferred to the Void, or press 2 to begin your stare.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 09:30
|
#5
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Expanding Town with crap roads
Age: 67
Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Posts: 7,674
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Daniel Hannan is a notorious Euro Sceptic and should really be part of UKIP.
Used to get his anti Europe rants in my in-box when I was a district councillor. Found them impossible to read as they were so badly written. He must be so reliant on his editor.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 09:43
|
#6
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry
This may prove to be of interest.
|
Interested and outraged. Nice way to side-step the coalition agreement and indeed various promises in the past.
A law by cowards afraid the electorate will have things to say they don't want to hear.
---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua
Daniel Hannan is a notorious Euro Sceptic and should really be part of UKIP.
Used to get his anti Europe rants in my in-box when I was a district councillor. Found them impossible to read as they were so badly written. He must be so reliant on his editor.
|
Odd, I've corresponded with him directly and found his writing to be perfectly articulate.
I would presume he has some idea about language given he is fluent in three of them.
---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh
I have to admit, I didn't find anything in the OP links that equated to the thread header - all I could find in that vein were and
I am quite nationalistic, but am not a Eurosceptic - I see the two things as completely different, but could in extreme cases, lead to extreme outcomes.
|
This one is all about the context - the comments were made in the context of discussion on European integration.
The irony of these comments coming from a guy whose own country hasn't had a government since June isn't lost on me though. Hard to have a sense of national identify when your own country is in turmoil.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 10:08
|
#7
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
The irony of these comments coming from a guy whose own country hasn't had a government since June isn't lost on me though. Hard to have a sense of national identify when your own country is in turmoil.
|
Belgium a sense of national identity? Don't make me laugh. Some Flemish people (not many I hasten to add) are floating the idea of reuniting with The Netherlands...
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 11:48
|
#8
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
Belgium a sense of national identity? Don't make me laugh. Some Flemish people (not many I hasten to add) are floating the idea of reuniting with The Netherlands...
|
That was exactly my point Daniel
If Belgium can't keep a sense of harmony with its Flemish and Walloons it seems pretty optimistic to hope that the over half a billion people in Europe with millennia of history between them want to all get together as one cosy happy family.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 11:56
|
#9
|
|
cf.mega poser
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 16,687
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
That was exactly my point Daniel
If Belgium can't keep a sense of harmony with its' Flemish and Walloons it seems pretty optimistic to hope that the over half a billion people in Europe with millennia of history between them want to all get together as one cosy happy family.
|
OI, Mr. Serial Greengrocer!
Yes, fair point. Having said that: We'd better try imo. It gives us a better chance standing up against the US/China/India/whoever.
__________________
Remember kids: We are blessed with a listening, caring government.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 12:16
|
#10
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Age: 48
Posts: 13,995
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf
OI, Mr. Serial Greengrocer!
Yes, fair point. Having said that: We'd better try imo. It gives us a better chance standing up against the US/China/India/whoever.
|
I dunno. Switzerland and Norway seem to be doing just fine, certainly their economies have dramatically outperformed the EU which has seen its' share of the world economy progressively shrink.
There's zero evidence thusfar that the EU has actually achieved anything in terms of 'standing up against' anyone. Quite the opposite if anything.
http://www.global-vision.net/facts/fact14_4.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy...European_Union
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 15:36
|
#11
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 22,315
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Despite all the evidence to the contrary, the Eurocrats still believe it's their way or no way. They only seem to hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see. Not really indicative of a geunine belief in democracy is it.... Injudiciously applying the 'euro-straightjacket' to more and more countries in an attempt to compete on scale with the likes of India and China is naive and a recipe for disaster.
|
|
|
12-11-2010, 16:08
|
#12
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Expanding Town with crap roads
Age: 67
Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Posts: 7,674
|
Re: Euroscepticism Equals War
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet
Odd, I've corresponded with him directly and found his writing to be perfectly articulate.
I would presume he has some idea about language given he is fluent in three of them.
|
In which case he needs to learn not to send out huge e-mails with no paragraphs.
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 16:24.
|