02-11-2010, 22:15
|
#16
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Scotland
Age: 44
Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband
SKY HD Multiroom
Freeview HD
Freesat HD
Posts: 2,816
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buba3d
i got the download power down to 7db using the wee connectore type thing you get supplied when the modem gets installed.
i think its a ubr issue, somebody on another forum told me to use ssl settings and it worked a trick, 50mb full  but i just want my wow back to normal
|
if ssl fioxed it that suggest shapp[ing
|
|
|
02-11-2010, 22:19
|
#17
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 25
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Im having trouble with Astraweb today and yesterday. My downloads are usually a consistent 1200kbs, yesterday and today they would jump up to 600kbs then go to zero for a few seconds, then jump to 300kbs then drop and so on. I've changed using SSL servers now, im getting a consistent 300kbs, but im not sure if thats cause i've downloaded over my VM threashold today and im being throttled (Thats the speed it usually goes at when im being throttled). Ill report back later!
|
|
|
02-11-2010, 22:39
|
#18
|
|
CF Resident Dog
Join Date: Mar 2005
Services: Zen FTTP 910
Posts: 16,200
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveLee
Im having trouble with Astraweb today and yesterday. My downloads are usually a consistent 1200kbs, yesterday and today they would jump up to 600kbs then go to zero for a few seconds, then jump to 300kbs then drop and so on. I've changed using SSL servers now, im getting a consistent 300kbs, but im not sure if thats cause i've downloaded over my VM threashold today and im being throttled (Thats the speed it usually goes at when im being throttled). Ill report back later!
|
Have a look here, changing to port 443 worked for me.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35116567-post6.html
|
|
|
02-11-2010, 23:14
|
#19
|
|
Inactive
Join Date: Mar 2004
Services: TV XL/Phone XL/BB XL
Posts: 125
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma
I came here to start a thread about Giganews too. I've been with them for 2 years and I could always max out my connection consistently. In the last week or so, my download speeds have looked like this: -

|
It's got to be the new traffic shaping, because at around midnight, the speed suddenly changed: -
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
I've tried rebooting my modem and I definitely don't have the new, faster upload speeds, but I guess that's a separate thing to the traffic shaping. I assumed that the traffic shaping would arrive when the new upload speeds did.
|
|
|
02-11-2010, 23:47
|
#20
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma
It's got to be the new traffic shaping, because at around midnight, the speed suddenly changed: -
I've tried rebooting my modem and I definitely don't have the new, faster upload speeds, but I guess that's a separate thing to the traffic shaping. I assumed that the traffic shaping would arrive when the new upload speeds did.
|
Yes faster upload speeds are totally separate and no, traffic shaping is not waiting for the new upload speeds but is effective across all tiers now.
|
|
|
02-11-2010, 23:53
|
#21
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456
Yes faster upload speeds are totally separate and no, traffic shaping is not waiting for the new upload speeds but is effective across all tiers now.
|
in all areas?
|
|
|
02-11-2010, 23:54
|
#22
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
in all areas?
|
Yes in all areas.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 00:12
|
#23
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456
Yes in all areas.
|
Ok I dont know hwo you know this but will take your word for it, if truethe affect on my congestion isnt noticeable, maybe a bit on jitter but not much, throughput seems unaffected.
in fact I am wondering how well the shaping is working, I am getting slow speedtests whilst I have low jitter at night, which is very odd. I am wondering if the shaping is shaping my speedtesting, http traffic etc.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 00:31
|
#24
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
http is not affected, it isn't a magical fix to totally solve oversubscription but is a step in the right direction.
This and the upgrades which are happening will see a marked change and can only be seen ATM where the upgrades have happened.
Perhaps an analogy is a motorway, P2P and newsgroups will at peak times be in the slow lane, emails and other non time sensitive in the middle lane and everything else in the fast lane. Not a perfect comparison but good enough I think.
Yes there are one or two problems with it with some online gaming but they are being ironed out.
I am sure once the upgrade reaches you, you will see the improvement.
As Igni has stated in many posts the supply of bandwidth cannot equal demand at the price it is now and that goes for all ISP's not just Virgin.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 00:42
|
#25
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 183
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
I started Usenet last night at 23:00. Same results, stupid throughput. At 00:04 instantly rocketed up to 2.44MB/s solid. Congestion isn't a problem it seems. It's a pure and simple money suck. Pity it ruins their reputation into the mix.
It's shaping. Simple. I have downgraded all my services to the bare minimum, TV removed, BB to the lowest, landline gone. Just waiting for BT to install Infinity in my street then it's bye bye to the biggest bunch of liars we've ever seen.
I knew this would happen once NTL got their grubby paws on Telewest. I gave them 5 years to wreck it. They exceeded expectations.
Cable are finished. Nothing but liars. AVOID.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 00:48
|
#26
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Of course it's shaping, they've said they are doing it. Good luck with BT as they are worse.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 01:18
|
#27
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456
http is not affected, it isn't a magical fix to totally solve oversubscription but is a step in the right direction.
This and the upgrades which are happening will see a marked change and can only be seen ATM where the upgrades have happened.
Perhaps an analogy is a motorway, P2P and newsgroups will at peak times be in the slow lane, emails and other non time sensitive in the middle lane and everything else in the fast lane. Not a perfect comparison but good enough I think.
Yes there are one or two problems with it with some online gaming but they are being ironed out.
I am sure once the upgrade reaches you, you will see the improvement.
As Igni has stated in many posts the supply of bandwidth cannot equal demand at the price it is now and that goes for all ISP's not just Virgin.
|
I didnt say was affected deliberatly, I meant it might not be working right for whatever reason. Shaping equipment can mismatch traffic, go wrong etc.
If thats not the case then if an area has serious problems with all the following. STM/shaping/letters(granted letters are not enforced yet) then I think people would find it hard to say its not oversubscription. Because you looking at a scenario where 75% of the capacity is not used by p2p/nntp, and heavy users under other protocols still throttled under STM.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 01:21
|
#28
|
|
Sad Doig Fan!
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 70
Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
Posts: 11,871
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
I didn't say it wasn't oversubscription, just a step in the right direction.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 01:43
|
#29
|
|
cf.mega poster
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 12,050
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
yep I meant if others still try to say its not oversubscription. Shaping of course shouldnt be used to replace upgrades but rather just to ensure QoS at peak.
---------- Post added at 02:43 ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 ----------
interesting, I found a few threads on the official forums, some saying the shaping is affecting gaming (this one not too surprising, expected it) but also its causing an mtu issue and a guy suggested a mtu of 900 as a workaround, now my speedtests have shot up from 5-10meg/sec to 18.43meg/sec, maxing out there because seem to be hitting ack saturation on upload due to the smaller packets.
I did notice some mtu oddness on VM's network the last couple of weeks but had nothing conclusive on it, I will test again in the day and at peak with the lower mtu.
|
|
|
03-11-2010, 01:56
|
#30
|
|
cf.addict
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 183
|
Re: giganews (usenet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456
Of course it's shaping, they've said they are doing it. Good luck with BT as they are worse.
|
Worse? At what? Providing 5% of the service as sold as? You forget, VM sell their packages based upon SPEED. To restrict to dial up speeds because I am white, I am black, I have 11 toes, I use Usenet, http, email etc is just nonsense.
<WHATEVER>
Enjoy your NTL (disguised as Virgin)'s service. BT don't need to hide behind another company's brand to operate. Why do NTL? Huh?
|
|
|
Posting Rules
|
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is Off
|
|
|
All times are GMT. The time now is 23:24.
|